Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Probably been answered 3 million times, but I couldn't find it. Why does Nissan replace the bolt in the brake fix? I ordered EBC rotors and pads to fix my brake shudder/light. Do I need to order this bolt as well? TMI: I was a month out from my 3 years, 22,000 miles on the brake fix for my 2004 Titan. The shudder started on my trip form Alasksa to the lower 48. They wouldn't fix it under warranty or my super great, best extended warranty they offered at time of purchase.

Anyway, about those bolts... why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
They replace the torque member bolts due to the high torque requirement for them (155 ft-lbs). When I installed my EBC set-up, I re-used the old ones. I haven't had any issues - I've got about 5k on the truck since the brake job.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
They call them "Torque Bolts" because they are torqued which puts the threads in tension. I expect they replace them to avoid tension failure in the bolt. Re-torqueing an already torqued bolt could cause failure of the bolt as it's already been stressed, and stretched to a very infinitessimal amount. Now, chances are, you may never have a problem, but you take your chances re-using the old bolts. If you want sleepless nights, replace them.

Now, truthfully, it boils down to legal liability. Nissan is not going to put themselves in a position of potential lawsuits by NOT saying to replace them. In reality, there's likely more than a safe level of capacity remaining in the bolts. Although there's a chance of bolt failure, the metallurgical properties of the steel are such that the bolt will pick up again where the last load left off and continue on the stress curve to yield failure. There is some memory, but it's not exactly like foam. It doesn't "spring" back to original. So they are just covering their butts.

Long story short: I re-used mine and have had no issues.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quite an answer BB.

Summary: Just re-use them, that's what we all do.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
grnTitan04 said:
Quite an answer BB.

Summary: Just re-use them, that's what we all do.
I thought that was what I said? :dunno: :jester:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.