Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at EBC, Frozen rotors, r1 concecpt rotors with hawk pads. Input would be helpful. thanks

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I replaced mine w/ Frozen Rotor's "cryo" Slotted Rotor's & Hawk LTS Pad's. I absolutely love them & would definitely recommend them! :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Had slotted Frozen Rotors and Hawk LTS pads installed a few weeks ago. So far, very happy.

Reactions: Ron O`Malley

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have R1 Rotors and R1 Ceramic pads I am gonna install tonight after work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have left this post in because the solution is detail in post #15, below, and is referenced for the next few posts between here and #15.

I replaced mine w/ Frozen Rotor's "cryo" Rotor's & Hawk LTS Pad's.

I absolutely HATE them & would definitely NOT recommend them!

They didn't even make it 5,000 miles before they warped and the only thing I haul with my '04 Titan is a 1500 pound pop-up trailer.

I've got to find a solution for the titan brake problems and that may be to put the lager brakes on it.

The other solution is to do what some of the guys I used to race with did for their IT race cars. Buy new rotors from Pep Boys and get the life time warranty. Then after each race bring them back and get new ones.

I figure with the Titan I will be replacing the rotors about every four to six months. In case you are wondering, I'm real gentle on the truck brakes and don't hammer them or expect them to stop me from high speeds repeatedly.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Why do you think your experience is so different from most others? Have you replaced the fluid, hoses, rebuilt your Calipers and greased the Slides?

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
replaced mine w/ Frozen Rotor's "cryo" Rotor's & Hawk LTS Pad's.

I absolutely HATE them & would definitely NOT recommend them!

They didn't even make it 5,000 miles before they warped and the only thing I haul with my '04 Titan is a 1500 pound pop-up trailer.
Have you contacted the guy's @ Frozen Rotor's & explained your problem to them? This is the 1st case of pre-mature warping that i have heard of w/ these rotor's. I have just about 5K miles on mine & they are fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why do you think your experience is so different from most others? Have you replaced the fluid, hoses, rebuilt your Calipers and greased the Slides?
Good question. No, I did not replace the fluid, hoses, or rebuild the calipers. The slides were greased when the rotors and pads were changed.

For a little additional money I wish I had done the '08 upgrade rather than going with the FR's.

I have the spacers on order and will do the upgrade now.

Have you contacted the guy's @ Frozen Rotor's & explained your problem to them? This is the 1st case of pre-mature warping that i have heard of w/ these rotor's. I have just about 5K miles on mine & they are fine.
I sent them a note right before making that post. Still waiting for a reply.

As I said, I'm going to go with the '08 upgrade. If they want to chip in a new set of rotors and pads, I'll be happy to send them my old ones.

This truck is very lightly used as the only thing I haul is a 1500 pound pop-up and an occasional airplane. The airplanes are light, max empty weight in the 1500 pound range + flat bed trailer. Well within the limits of the truck and brake system.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I went with the EBC slotted & dimpled rotors and EBC green pads. Time well tell.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I sent them a note right before making that post. Still waiting for a reply.

As I said, I'm going to go with the '08 upgrade. If they want to chip in a new set of rotors and pads, I'll be happy to send them my old ones.

This truck is very lightly used as the only thing I haul is a 1500 pound pop-up and an occasional airplane. The airplanes are light, max empty weight in the 1500 pound range + flat bed trailer. Well within the limits of the truck and brake system.
titMan is offline Report Post Reply With Quote
Interesting... I was just wondering, because they would want to know about this issue. They shouldn't be warping with such a little load! I don't tow, but i do run heavy chrome 22" rim's & tires & i haven't had any problem's with them.

I think the '08 brake upgrade is the best plan of attack if you are going to be doing a lot of towing.

Let us know what you end up doing & what Frozen Rotor's has to say about your problem. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think the '08 brake upgrade is the best plan of attack if you are going to be doing a lot of towing.
I hope it solves the problem for street driving. Even the large rims like you have are very rough on performance due to the gyroscopic effect. i.e.: They are slow to turn in, slow to accelerate (turning is accelerating the wheels), and slow to stop. Other than looking cool... (OK, I'll stop talking like the former road racer that I am.)

Let us know what you end up doing & what Frozen Rotor's has to say about your problem. :)
They contacted me and we will talk before the week is out. I've offered to send them the rotors and pads back as I can't use them after I change over to the '08 brakes. Maybe they will be able to figure out why these went bad.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whatever you do, stay away from the drilled Stillen's.

I'm also shopping for brakes and went to the EBC site, and jeez that thing is a train wreck!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have the R1 crossdrilled and slotted rotors and the matching ceramic brake pads, got the set off Ebay for $150 shipped to my front door for it all. And I couldnt be happier with my purchase...Will be purchasing the matching rear set in the near future.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Whatever you do, stay away from the drilled Stillen's...
When I was racing I saw a number of drilled rotors fail. Heading hard into a corner and having your brake rotor explode is an ugly thing. I will never run them on any vehicle I drive. Even when instructing I refused to drive or even ride in cars with them, unless they were an OEM rotor.

That said, they do look cool.

·
Registered
92 Posts
After spending a few days playing phone tag with the guys at Frozen Rotors I finally spoke to Bill over there regarding my brakes.

After spending 10 years doing the SCCA thing, I thought I knew a lot about brakes. I probably do know a lot about brakes but today I learned something new.

Bill doubted the rotors were warped. He said he had seen this before and thought that the brake pad material was probably built up on the rotors, causing the pulsating I was feeling in the peddle and steering wheel. His asked if I babied the brakes and on this truck I do because I didn’t want to warp another set of rotors. Once he heard that, he told me to go out, check to make sure no one was behind me, get the truck up to 70 mph and hit the brakes hard, not so hard as to activate the ABS, just threshold brake it down to 30. Repeat that five times in quick succession. Let them cool and do it over again. The thinking is that will remove the excess pad material and if it didn’t call him back and he would make it right.

I’ll be damned, that worked! No more pulsating brakes.

I take back what I said about the Frozen Rotors (and changed my post above).

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
so those rotors are good? i was going to go with DBA.. any pics of those rotors?

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
That's great to hear man! That man know's brake's!

·
Registered
292 Posts
After spending a few days playing phone tag with the guys at Frozen Rotors I finally spoke to Bill over there regarding my brakes.

After spending 10 years doing the SCCA thing, I thought I knew a lot about brakes. I probably do know a lot about brakes but today I learned something new.

Bill doubted the rotors were warped. He said he had seen this before and thought that the brake pad material was probably built up on the rotors, causing the pulsating I was feeling in the peddle and steering wheel. His asked if I babied the brakes and on this truck I do because I didn’t want to warp another set of rotors. Once he heard that, he told me to go out, check to make sure no one was behind me, get the truck up to 70 mph and hit the brakes hard, not so hard as to activate the ABS, just threshold brake it down to 30. Repeat that five times in quick succession. Let them cool and do it over again. The thinking is that will remove the excess pad material and if it didn’t call him back and he would make it right.

I’ll be damned, that worked! No more pulsating brakes.

I take back what I said about the Frozen Rotors (and changed my post above).
I have recently used this procedure (70mph to 30 mph repeat 4 times, cool and repeat again) for my stock 05 rotors that were pulsing when they warmed up. It greatly improved them also. I have A set of R1Concepts rotors and pads here now, so I am going to put them on anyway. Just figured I would try this procedure before I changed them out.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Good to know! I've heard nothing but good thing's about the R1 rotor's! Post up some pic's for us if possible, when you get them on there. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Good to know! I've heard nothing but good thing's about the R1 rotor's! Post up some pic's for us if possible, when you get them on there. :)
No pics after install, looks like everyone else when installed. Dimpled and slotted with Posi Quite pads.

Reactions: gweasel77
1 - 20 of 31 Posts