Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very suprised to see how bad the gas milage is on new diesel trucks pulling a load.

Here is what my Popular Mechanics November issue posted.

Check out the bottom mpg tested stats. Empty they did good but with a 10,000LB load the best truck was 7.49 mpg :huh:

·
Super Moderator
160,796 Posts
That's bad. That's down in Titan range...almost. :lol:

Of all my friends and family who tow heavy with diesels, I've never heard them talk about numbers that low. I'm a bit skeptical.

Reactions: rtc1184

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's bad. That's down in Titan range...almost. :lol:

Of all my friends and family who tow heavy with diesels, I've never heard them talk about numbers that low. I'm a bit skeptical.
My brother in-law has a 08 or 09 loaded F-250 diesel (all stock) and tows the same boat i have but on a single axel trailer we both towed to the same spot last year and when we arived his trip computer said he had gotten 11 mpg and mine said I was at 10 mpg. I thought his computer maybe off but after reading this i think it was correct

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Good comparison for you: I have owned the same trailer through several different trucks. It's an Arctic Fox, at 7,000# loaded and ready to go.

Previous truck was a 2002 Dodge 3500 4X4 dually with the Cummins diesel, 4-speed stick with granny low, and 4.15s (IIRC; they were the 'hauling' gears, not the 3.55s) and my current truck is the 2004 Titan CC 4X4.

Dodge dually mileage solo: 17.5 (go faster than 60 and it goes down fast)
Towing: 13.5

Titan solo: 13 (hate this alcohol blend gas!!)
Towing: 8 - 10 (really depends on terrain and how big a hurry I'm in; slow to 54 MPH and that's the 10 MPG figure)

So the new truck actually does better in fuel mileage than the older models. You can actually carry on a conversation next to the truck when it's running. My old Cummins, you couldn't even hear yourself think...

Reactions: Nick741

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have heard a lot of grumbling going on that the new diesel engines have so much restrictions in them and that is the reasons there fuel economy is so bad. Again this is just what I have been hearing.

·
Super Moderator
160,796 Posts
I've heard the new Ford engine can be coaxed into some amazing numbers if really babied. Not towing, of course. 30+ mpg.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
well they dont make 4.15 gears for the dodge sorry bud you had 4.10's. you also had the nv4500 5spd in that 02. my 97 has a 5spd in it and i knock down 21-22 on the hwy at 60mph and about 18-19 at 74. i have 3.55's.

the deal with the new ford is they test drove it at 35mph across the desert and got 32 or 33mpg. BS!! so they claimed you can get that out of the new ford diesel. we have 3 brand new in our fleet and they get about 12-13 on the hwy and about 8 loaded.

the dodge gets about 9-10 loaded with the 6.7liter if you still have the egr and dpf. if you do a dpf delete and a egr cooler delete you can get 14-16 towing all day long

jason, you are correct. the new diesel's get **** for mileage cause of all the emissions. dodge is the ONLY diesel that dont use UREA.

·
Super Moderator
160,796 Posts
Heck, a newer tractor trailer weighing in at 40 tons total can get the kind of mileage posted on that PM page. It's just sad that a towing rig weighing in at 1/5th that weight total can only get that kind of mileage.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
more hp out of the new diesels then most big rigs. the only reasy big trucks have so much tq is thru the transmission. also big rigs most of them get the same mileage loaded or unloaded. the old pete i used to drive got 5.5 bobtail or with 80k lbs behind it.

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
06 Dodge SW CC 4x4 AT 4.10's CTD , 14mpg unloaded city , 9-10mpg loaded 21k total weight hwy

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I know we use the 3/4 ton 2WD here for our hot shot trucks and not the full 1tons. We get far better mileage than that. However IIRC our newest one is a 2008 with a hold over 5.9ltr. We don't use Ford or Chevy due to reliability issues.

Running just as a truck with a stakebed on back they get around 20mpg. Hook'em up to the gooseneck with full load out 15k lbs on the boards and it is in the 13-15mpg range. We don't have mufflers or cats on any of them. No other performance mods. All automatics. Probably get better mpg if we had standards.

Reactions: rtc1184

·
Registered
79 Posts
The guys in my wheelign club, badgerland4x4.org, that have older diesels (ford and dodge, mid to late 90's) get in the 15-18 mpg while towing their 4x4's on verious trailers. The one newer diesel is a chevy and his mpg is usualy only 1 mpg better than my T's. Let's see, diesel is at least 20 cents/gallon more, gas engines are cheaper to buy. I'll stick with my T.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Turbo Diesel V8's aren't great on Fuel, however the 5.9 Dodge's do well in the MPG area. The new Dodge 6.7 is TERRIBLE on fuel, I talked to a guy said stock he could only get 12mpg tops city/hwy towing or anything.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ya, have another friend that is waffling between buying an older SD with the 7.3 or a newer '08 and up. Wants the mileage and realiability of the 7.3 but can't find one with a low enough price that a bank would give him a loan for one. Guys with the 7.3 know what they got and are asking an arm and a leg for them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was talking to a cowgirl while getting fuel in my T the other day, she had a brand new F-350 Dually pulling a monstrous horse trailer, I was asking her what kind of fuel mileage she got, she said she wished that she never got rid of her 99 F350, this new ford is horrible on fuel 7-8mpg, old ford 12 -17mpg pulling the same trailer.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I was talking to a cowgirl while getting fuel in my T the other day, she had a brand new F-350 Dually pulling a monstrous horse trailer, I was asking her what kind of fuel mileage she got, she said she wished that she never got rid of her 99 F350, this new ford is horrible on fuel 7-8mpg, old ford 12 -17mpg pulling the same trailer.
It is because of all the emissions crap, like the Dodge 6.7 if you do the DPF delete and exhaust and a tune it will double the mileage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a 36' 1999 diesel bounder mh with a 5.9 cummins. It would get 12mpg on the highway all day long. If I pulled our toy trailer loaded to about 5000 pounds total weight, it would get about 11 mpg in the same conditions. Really you couldn't even tell a trailer was being pulled except for seeing it in the rear view camera! Now hook that same trailer up to my 06 diesel super duty and it would also get about 11 mpg. Go figure...

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
DPF delete, tuner, and intake and your set for good mpg and a fast azz truck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts