Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my DT LTs, stock mid pipe and jba cat back and sound is not what I expected. Seems to have drone most of the time driving around town and on the interstate and hardly any sound at WOT. So basically i have all noise when i dont want it and no noise when i do. What gives?! Should i replace the muffler? I want noise at wide open throttle and no noise going down the interstate at 2000rpm. Seems like most of the noise is at 2K and too quite at 4K. Thinking maybe a borla muffler?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, guys. After reading a zillion posts. Lol. I seem to be getting the same drone as everyone else. Just never really heard of any complaint about the jba and bad drone. I have a borla catback on my saleen and love the sound so I figure cheaper to buy just the muffler from borla. Way cheaper than the borla compelete system.

My question is what borla muffler is everyone running?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I noticed the JBA drone right away and cut off 14" tailpipe to change the resonance frequency. It reduced the drone level by ~50%. Prior to the JBA, I did the same thing to the OEM tailpipe when I had an 18" Magnaflow.

Attachments

Reactions: tanman551

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks sudden. I love the nice chrome tip but man that drone makes me wanna jump out of the truck. Lol.
My oem rotted out so I dumped it right out of the muffler. Guess I could do that again. Kinda crazy all the R & D they put into these exhausts and they can't remove the drone.
My next question is then my truck is loud at take off but gets quiter as the rpms climb. Shld I just switch the damn muffler? I want it loud at 4k but quite at idle and low rpms.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
2k rpm?? how fast r u going? Most don't complain about drone with JBA but that's with only JBA exhaust not in conjunction with the DT LT's. Your drone free days are over imo, with the headers on the truck. Only way I think you could quiet down the drone is with some straight through resonators but this would also quiet your whole exhaust down some. If your looking for noise .. then Get rid of your cats( probably more drown with removal of the cats). Also Get yourself an intake ... it changed my exhaust note a little bit.. Cant remember if it was better , worse , louder or quieter but it changed a little bit..lol .. its been a long time.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I don't think changing to a Borla muffler will eliminate the drone, but I have no experience with Borla. My setup is pretty darn quiet cruising at 50 or 70, almost like stock. After cutting the tip off, the overall sound level was reduced just a tad, but is aggressively loud when under WOT load.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Import, 2k is usually where my truck likes to be. In town at like 40-45 and interstate at like 60.
Ya, ur prbly right about the long tubes and the jba combo. I want the truck louder at wot so I guess I'll mess with a few mufflers and shorten it to get it right.

Sudden, maybe the difference is the headers. I'll try removing the exhaust right after the muffler. I'll order a muffler for the he'll of it.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Import, 2k is usually where my truck likes to be. In town at like 40-45 and interstate at like 60.
Ya, ur prbly right about the long tubes and the jba combo. I want the truck louder at wot so I guess I'll mess with a few mufflers and shorten it to get it right.

Sudden, maybe the difference is the headers. I'll try removing the exhaust right after the muffler. I'll order a muffler for the he'll of it.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.
Cool... mine usually sits around 1600 rpm.

Make sure you get a turn down pipe ... don't just cut it off after the muffler and leave it like that.. there are wires near that area that could melt and cause some major problems down the road. As far as loud.. might want to try out the Banks exhaust .. never heard one in person but everyone here says its loud... but the Y pipe the kit comes with is too large.. try to find someone selling the banks muffler and swap it out. The JBA Y pipe is pretty much tops.

Another way to go might be the Nismo true dual exhaust. heard one with nismo headers and nismo exhaust and that sumbeach was loud.

I used to have my DT's on with a aero turbine 3030xl and it was loud and had drone... too much drone for the kids in the back seat which is why my set up is what it is now. the aero 3030 would have been louder.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woohoo!!!! lol.. The drone is gone!!!!! I removed the last part of the tail pipe. (in the bottom left of the picture with the tip) Drone is gone as far as i can tell. Didnt get a chance to drive it to far tho. Exhaust has gotten louder and has more of the tin can sound now which i dont like but no drone. Gonna mess around with some tips and see if i can get the deep sound back.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
That's great news. I like the stealth look with no tip. Here's an old video of mine with the tip cut off: http://vimeo.com/697401

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
My pro-xs was about 100$ shipped and has no drone... but i dont have headers

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya I don't mind the stealth look. Just want it to sound good. I'm getting closer to that point. I'll try and post some videos if I can of all the diff set ups. Right now the truck screams. Way diff without the last part of the tail pipe.

I do love the borla sound. I heard a video of the pro xs and sounds good so I might order one and dump before the tire

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Get a resonated tip. That'll make it deeper sounding.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
How goes the testing Tanman? The drone with the newly installed DT LT's and JBA catback is killing me! I've gotta shut this thing up, haha. I really like the look of the tailpipe and hate to have to cut it off. I'm wondering if i reinstall the resonators that i cut out when i installed the MF 9035's, if that would help.... I wonder if having both cats and resos would make it better.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Oooh, that's a good idea. I've been thinking about doing that for a while now even before the exhaust and do the entire floor, rear wall, and doors just for the sake of overall quiet ride. Wasn't sure how extensive i wanted to go with it. Dynamat is also $$$ so was looking at fat mat or the like.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, been snowing a lot and freezing temps have put a damper in my testing. Lol. I did add a resonated tip from advanced auto parts tho. Truck sounds like a beast with very minimal drone cruising with thatast section of pipe removed. I don't like the tone of it tho. Think it's the muffler I don't like. Gonna order a borla and see.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Add me to the header + JBA drone list as well. I would be willing to accept the sound of my JBA, if I could really get rid of the drone by cutting a section off. Does this REALLY help those of you that have done it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts