Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
75,200 miles on my 2006 titan and the left front bearing blew in the differential. $1,800 later all is good. Plus the fact the pin bearings on the front u-joint were gone and the rest was all rusted another $200 This truck is becoming very expensive. however i do love it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I understand I shattered the housing on my front diff a couple of weeks ago. I'm about to have to shell out the cash to fix it. $1800 seems high, did you have it fix at the dealership? I'm going to buy a new and put it in myself. The diff only cost $859 plus shipping at this site I found. Dealer wants $1100.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i bought a brand new one i can turn a wrench but something like that is a little above my skill level. 1100 was the cost of the new diff.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, if I had the money I would just have them do it too. But I've looked at it and it doesn't look like it's going to be to bad. I guess I'll find out!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Scott. said:
Yeah, if I had the money I would just have them do it too. But I've looked at it and it doesn't look like it's going to be to bad. I guess I'll find out!
Keep us updated. Keep a log on how to do it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
So is this what I have to look forward to in about 12,000 miles?

Is there a bearing maintenance procedure that could have been done to prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
mattychew said:
75,200 miles on my 2006 titan and the left front bearing blew in the differential. $1,800 later all is good. Plus the fact the pin bearings on the front u-joint were gone and the rest was all rusted another $200 This truck is becoming very expensive. however i do love it.
were there any signs or noise that alerted you to something wrong?

reason im asking is, i recently took mine to the dealer b/c i would have an additional noise and vibration that i thought was abnormal even for a 4wd. tech and serv. manager rode w/ me and drove and said that they heard/felt it too. i told them that i wanted to make sure that whatever it was that its "normal" for this truck. they could not definately tell me that it was and they would do some "research" and keep me posted. i told them that i too was going to "research" this. doesnt sound good for my front diff from what i have found thus far.

thanks for the info and sorry for the long story.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
How hard is it to change the front differential oil? Is this something that I can do with a few tools (I already changed the rear diff), or is this something a mechanic should do? If it's as easy as the rear, I'll be doing it soon.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Juday said:
How hard is it to change the front differential oil? Is this something that I can do with a few tools (I already changed the rear diff), or is this something a mechanic should do? If it's as easy as the rear, I'll be doing it soon.
Changing the front diff oil is relatively easy. In essence, it's the same as the rear; one bolt to drain, one for filling. Be mindful of the torque values, just as with the rear. The only major pain is the space is much tighter. You will need to wiggle under and remove a skid plate (truck should be level). You will also need to invest in a hand pump to pump the new fluid into the diff (AMSoil sells one, but you can probably get an equivalent one at an auto parts store). There is simply no space to hold the new oil containers elevated so you can fill the diff, so the pump is necessary. Other than that, piece of cake!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
BK19702 said:
Changing the front diff oil is relatively easy. In essence, it's the same as the rear; one bolt to drain, one for filling. Be mindful of the torque values, just as with the rear. The only major pain is the space is much tighter. You will need to wiggle under and remove a skid plate (truck should be level). You will also need to invest in a hand pump to pump the new fluid into the diff (AMSoil sells one, but you can probably get an equivalent one at an auto parts store). There is simply no space to hold the new oil containers elevated so you can fill the diff, so the pump is necessary. Other than that, piece of cake!

Sweet, I already have the hand pump from AMSOIL when I purchased my 75W-140 Severe Gear for the rear. The front is 75W-90, correct?

·
Registered
34 Posts
just this past week I took my truck in because of noise while turning left. It turned out to be a bearing in the front diff had a broken race. Typically $1400 repair I had the diff replaced under warranty. The noise came and went and was associated with 4x4 use.

·
Registered
324 Posts
goathead said:
were there any signs or noise that alerted you to something wrong?

reason im asking is, i recently took mine to the dealer b/c i would have an additional noise and vibration that i thought was abnormal even for a 4wd. tech and serv. manager rode w/ me and drove and said that they heard/felt it too. i told them that i wanted to make sure that whatever it was that its "normal" for this truck. they could not definately tell me that it was and they would do some "research" and keep me posted. i told them that i too was going to "research" this. doesnt sound good for my front diff from what i have found thus far.

thanks for the info and sorry for the story.
I had the same symptoms. I took my truck in three weeks ago, the mechanic could here it and feel it as well. He checked the backlash, and he said it was way out of spec. New front diff. has been in for about 2 weeks. I've had it in 4 wheel drive once and it still seemed to make some noise at higher speeds. Another symptom I had was a "clunk in the front end. I thought it was my coilovers, but after the front diff. was replaced, most of that noise also disappeared.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
chargedTitan said:
I had the same symptoms. I took my truck in three weeks ago, the mechanic could here it and feel it as well. He checked the backlash, and he said it was way out of spec. New front diff. has been in for about 2 weeks. I've had it in 4 wheel drive once and it still seemed to make some noise at higher speeds. Another symptom I had was a "clunk in the front end. I thought it was my coilovers, but after the front diff. was replaced, most of that noise also disappeared.
thanks for the info about checking the backlash, i will pass it on to my service guys.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My front diff replaced at 45000km under warranty. It was leaking pretty bad. Now on the new one (1 month old!) is pi$$ing fluid up out of the breather tube, nicely covering my hood area with oil.

Hmmmmm. Dodge Ram next time?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts