Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with various ideas for a GPS/Bluetooth solution for the past couple years in my truck. My first failed attempt was installing the factory nav unit (which was a mistake from the start), then I considered the Magellan 7" screen in the factory Nav location (awesome solution, but something made me not want to go this route either).

Anyways, my factory radio is starting to act funny (listening to FM stations, it will sometimes cut out on one side of the truck intermittently), and I am a sucker for gadgets, so I've decided to go with a Kenwood DNX9980HD.

I normally don't like aftermarket head units, but I have seen a few members on here do some amazing installs where it could almost pass for a factory unit.

I would like to use an XE bezel rather than the Metra kit b/c I would like to match my interior perfectly (I am pretty anal about my truck, and I would notice a slight color difference for sure).

Any advice or tips on how I can make this head unit integrate into the dash to make it appear as stock as possible? WHere is a good place to hide the bluetooth mic so its functional but sort of hidden (I thought maybe clipping it to the sun visor, and I would just flip it down when I need to talk to someone?

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
My pops has his A pillar cut, and the end of the mic sticking out. Looks pretty clean IMO. As for the HU, it depends on what you get... Kinda sounds like your wanting a double din?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I've already ordered a kenwood dnx9980hd, I am just looking for some advice on how to get a nice factory like fit. Do you have a picture of the mic integrated into the A Pillar?

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
No I don't, his trucks in the shop for a new tranny right now... But literally its maybe a 1/2" hole near the top, and the mic fastened in there. Looks pretty sleek

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I tucked the wire for the mic into A pillar and across front of headliner. I have it near the overhead console. This also keeps me from having any feedback/wind noise issues by having it near the window. When i was a smoker having the window cracked would not allow for it over there. Noise fron concrete roads and tires also made it bad.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips on the mic, how about for the GPS antennae?

Any advice for making the head unit itself install nicely? Will the Kenwood units fit with the XE bezel?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have my gps antenna near base of dash at windshield. Ran the wire behind dash and up through A pillar cover. Useda little patch of velcro tape to hold in place and keep it from rattling.

As to the dash kit i went with the metra one i think, could have been schosche. I wasnt about to pay for a factory one. They were like three times the price before shipping then the delivered price of mine. I feel ya though if youjust gotta have exact match. Just not my need.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its only $30 more than the Metra kit, and the $30 is worth it to me to have the same plastic and color as factory.

I have seen some other people paint the metra kit with great results too.

I have my gps antenna near base of dash at windshield. Ran the wire behind dash and up through A pillar cover. Useda little patch of velcro tape to hold in place and keep it from rattling.

As to the dash kit i went with the metra one i think, could have been schosche. I wasnt about to pay for a factory one. They were like three times the price before shipping then the delivered price of mine. I feel ya though if youjust gotta have exact match. Just not my need.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Wow, considerably cheaper than back when i got either of mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts