Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m going to install it this weekend. I bought the differential oil quite some time ago but then had the stealer (I mean dealer) change the original with synthetic. I think the Mobil 1 will work great but figured I would ask if anyone else it running this in their Titan before I do it…

·
Registered
909 Posts
You got #74 nice. I am gonna get one of these covers as soon as my drivetrain warrantee runs out. Already had one rear end replaced. I use the mobile 1 in engine and diff. Good stuff just darn expensive. Did you look into the diff oil mag-hytech sells?

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Nice product.
It carries the appropriate label.

MADE IN USA!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
lowlypawn said:
I’m going to install it this weekend. I bought the differential oil quite some time ago but then had the sealer (I mean dealer) change the original with synthetic. I think the Mobil 1 will work great but figured I would ask if anyone else it running this in their Titan before I do it…

If I am not mistaken doesn't the rear diff take 75-140W not the 75-90 as you have shown?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sftail1990 said:
If I am not mistaken doesn't the rear diff take 75-140W not the 75-90 as you have shown?

I believe the 04 (like mine) called for the 75-90 and in O5 Nissan called for the 75-140. I did some research and I find lots of people on both sided of the fence…

Some say the thicker is better for towing (which I do very little), others say it just robs HP and is unnecessary. One post I read someone said the 75-140 can actually be too think and not flow around the gears quickly enough (thou that sounds like BS to me). The bottom line is I see tons of people with both in their titan and all seem happy.

So I think I will use the stuff I got since winter is around the corner (and the oil is not cheep). Then I’ll just check it and see how it’s holding up. The nice thing about this diff cover is it has a dipstick and a drain plug! So checking and changing the oil will be a piece of cake…

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
2004 owners' manual states 80W90 GL5 front and rear. This spec was never updated by Nissan to '04 owners. A TSB was issued to their dealers that stated that they must use Nissan 75W140 synthetic in the rear differential when servicing, else Nissan would not cover the cost of differential replacement, and the dealer would eat the cost.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it installed, had to bend the brake line a little bit to make it clear. I also had to bend bracket for the parking brake and used the top bolt to hold it in place.

I also decided I better be safe and used Mobil One 75W-140. I will probably be too lazy or forget to change it out next summer. Overall I really like this cover, the dipstick works great and it seems really nice and solid. I didn’t use a drop of permatex and the gasket worked great.

While I was at it and feeling ambitious I changed the oil in my titan for the 1st time. (I had the stealer do all the oil changes up to now). The oil filter is in a nice easy to reach location and I was impressed with the ramp welded on the frame to direct the oil when you take it off!

Comments welcome & Cya….

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Need to put on a cat-back, titans do not look right with the stock on. Tell your wife thats what you want for Christmas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts