Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have been reading here for several months since purchasing a 2006 Nissan Titan 4x4. I am hoping to find some answers as to where to begin in trouble shooting my problem.

I feel like there is a drag on the truck. By that I mean that when I let off the gas, I feel like it slows down faster than it should, almost like someone is lightly holding the brakes. It also makes a strange hum that sounds almost like there were very aggressive tires on it that make that hum on the road. I also here a faint pulsing when I turn even slight corners going any speed over 20 mph.

Other people have driven the truck and tell me they don't notice anything, so I must be crazy.

Anyway, 15 minutes after I drove the truck off the lot, the left front caliper froze. I did not know what it was, it made a horrendous clicking noise that I did not think was the caliper, but anyway, because I was in the middle of nowhere, I drove it a little and the clicking stopped and I drove right back to the dealer. When I got to the dealer, there was smoke pouring out of left front wheel from frozen caliper. They replaced the caliper and sent me on my way.

The problem I described above in my mind has gotten progressively worse in the two thousand miles I have driven the truck (101k) and the brake dust build up on the left front wheel is magnitudes darker than the right front wheel, having cleaned both three weeks ago. Today, I jacked up the front end, thinking for sure I was going to find that left front caliper hung up, and both front wheels spun freely and the brake pads seem even on both sides with no measurement.

The brake pads did not get replaced even after overheating (I know, the guy I bought from is dishonest.)

Is there anything that can cause the caliper to not release other than the caliper itself?

Is it possible this caliper is hanging up only when it heats up to certain temp.

Can the hub bearings cause what I am describing, a drag and a hum?

Is it the front diff? Front Pinion seal is leaking slightly, but I have made sure it is full until I have time to replace that. I have the OEM seal. Will the front diff hum and cause a drag if there is a problem?

It is hard for me to describe this any better because it is not like I drove the truck the first 100k and am noticing a big change. It just does not seem right to me, even though it drives nicely and feels tight and good, other than that drag.

I have really appreciated this place as a resource since purchasing my truck, thank you to all who take the time to help guys like myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome teharr.

I'm not sure that this is the correct thread for this but...

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot that I can tell you about your problem with the front end. Although, I can tell you that my 2005 4X4 Titan seems to slow down from a coast a little faster than other trucks that I have had. I haven't had mine any longer than you have, but I did notice early on that it seems to slow down a little faster than say may last Ford 1 Ton did. This could be caused from a wide variety of different things anyplace in the drive line. My current opinion is that it is normal engine braking for a Titan. Like I said, I'm a new owner and I hope I don't have to eat my words, but I'm not worried about it. In addition, my truck has 35" aggressive mud tires on it, so I hear a hum all of the time.

Please don't hesitate to let everyone know if you find anything else out though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts