Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,
I've joined because hopefully I'll be a Titan owner soon. I'm in the process of getting my current vehicle sold. Once that happens, I'll be shopping for a new 21' Titan. I've had two Frontier's and two Silverado's in the past so this would be my fifth truck! My goal with the Titan though is to keep it long term. I also plan on doing some light modifications like a mild lift, tires/wheels etc..
The trim I'd like to get is an SV 4x4 in either a King cab or Crew cab (I haven't made up my mind on the cab size yet).
Anyways, for now I'll be browsing the forum, learning and possibly asking some questions. (I don't know much about the Titan yet). I'm here to learn and look forward to participating!
LRod

·
Registered
2019 Titan PRO-4X
365 Posts
You'll get some good ideas and advice here. A lot of owners have made some nice mods to their Titans. Some are satisfied with the stock profile. We're a bit bias, but we feel the Titan is the best truck on the road. Be hard to convince us otherwise.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,813 Posts
welcome!!

i have the crew cab sv 4x4 and think its a great truck. i don't particularly do a lot of truck things with it though so i cannot comment on the smaller bed being a bother versus the king cab in carrying things. i know it carries a three seat couch fine with the tailgate down and my bicycle fits with the tail gate up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll get some good ideas and advice here. A lot of owners have made some nice mods to their Titans. Some are satisfied with the stock profile. We're a bit bias, but we feel the Titan is the best truck on the road. Be hard to convince us otherwise.
That's great!
That's why I've chosen to go for the Titan. I just want a dependable full size truck that looks decent. Unfortunately I no longer trust anything from GM, Ford or Chrysler. So that leaves only two options: The Nissan & Toyota! I don't like the Toyota at all! Nissan makes good vehicles, price is fair for what you get and the warranty is a no brainer so that's where I'll put my money.
Can't wait to get one!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome!!

i have the crew cab sv 4x4 and think its a great truck. i don't particularly do a lot of truck things with it though so i cannot comment on the smaller bed being a bother versus the king cab in carrying things. i know it carries a three seat couch fine with the tailgate down and my bicycle fits with the tail gate up.
I don't think the shorter bed would be an issue for me either. I don't plan on carrying a lot of stuff around. The Titan would be my daily driver. My indecision comes from the looks. I like how the King cab looks and I like how the crew cab looks, LOL!! The King cab's interior would be fine as well since I rarely carry more than one person besides myself (my wife!) We'll see in the end what I end up choosing!

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,813 Posts
having the crew cab, i feel like i would have been just as happy in a king cab for the same reasons you are thinking. every once in a while i carry other people but its very rare. i do like that i can put lots of stuff in the back seat and lock them in when on trips though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
having the crew cab, i feel like i would have been just as happy in a king cab for the same reasons you are thinking. every once in a while i carry other people but its very rare. i do like that i can put lots of stuff in the back seat and lock them in when on trips though.
It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it... Not to mention really should be slightly better on the crew cab in my opinion.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,710 Posts
Welcome, and you have some decisions to make, if this video is accurate.

While I like the new look (may just be the novelty of it), I don't think I like the idea of a twin-turbo V6 being the main offering.

I have two possible scenarios. First scenario is the 2021 will be the last time the Titan is offered with a V8 and may be a little more valuable to someone looking at this particular make. My second scenario is the V6 will defy the odds and will have a great 1st year and the V8 will depreciate quickly. My money is on the 1st scenario, and even if I'm wrong it's a great powertrain. The 5.6 is what drove me to my Nissan dealer in the first place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome, and you have some decisions to make, if this video is accurate.

While I like the new look (may just be the novelty of it), I don't think I like the idea of a twin-turbo V6 being the main offering.

I have two possible scenarios. First scenario is the 2021 will be the last time the Titan is offered with a V8 and may be a little more valuable to someone looking at this particular make. My second scenario is the V6 will defy the odds and will have a great 1st year and the V8 will depreciate quickly. My money is on the 1st scenario, and even if I'm wrong it's a great powertrain. The 5.6 is what drove me to my Nissan dealer in the first place.
Thank you for the welcome!
Honestly I like the current one better. If the next generation looks anything like the one on that video, I don't think I'd buy one. The current one to me looks like a real truck with a classic look. And my plan is to get one as soon as I sell my car so I definitely won't be waiting for the next gen.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Make sure you’re up to speed on all the issues folks are having with the 9sp Jatco transmission in the 2021s… many of us are dealing with very poor low speed shifting and some are dealing with popping sounds from the drivetrain (maybe driveshaft?) as well. When you’ve found the one you want, make sure you drive it a lot at low speeds to better understand how it behaves.

As far as I’m concerned, I can’t recommend this Titan at all… yet my 2012 Titan was the best, most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Good luck with you purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make sure you’re up to speed on all the issues folks are having with the 9sp Jatco transmission in the 2021s… many of us are dealing with very poor low speed shifting and some are dealing with popping sounds from the drivetrain (maybe driveshaft?) as well. When you’ve found the one you want, make sure you drive it a lot at low speeds to better understand how it behaves.

As far as I’m concerned, I can’t recommend this Titan at all… yet my 2012 Titan was the best, most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Good luck with you purchase.
Thanks!
I guess I'd have to test drive it to see. I've been reading about the issue here on the forum. I'm assuming though that they don't all suffer from the issue?
I've watched a ton of Titan review videos on Youtube and so many owners praise (Youtube comments) their 21' as the best truck ever. Very few mention anything about that issue. I'm also guessing that it's computer related and Nissan will eventually issue an update?

·
Registered
418 Posts
As for the bed, I’ve had the 6.5” bed in my last two f150’s and loved it. I really thought I would miss it in the Titan, but surprisingly I don’t. The shorter bed has been just fine, even if I did have to make a few adjustments to get used to it.

Two trucks ago I had the extended cab and thought it was fine as it was just the GF and I. Then I got a crew cab f150 and the difference there is night and day for so many reasons. I’ll probably never go back to the extended cab trucks. The crew cab is just so much more user friendly even if you’re not carrying people.

If it’s a choice between longer bed or bigger cabin, unless you haul a lot and need the extra bed length routinely, I’d definitely suggest going with a crew cab. You can always get a bed extender (unless you’re towing) but you can add more interior space.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
As a potential New 21' Titan buyer, I'm now reading about all these problems on the forum, (Transmission, radio, warnings going off etc..) and they have me concerned. I'm glad I came into this forum. I really thought that the Titan was the "Anti big 3" in terms of quality & durability. I'm seeing that it's possibly not! (At least not on the 21'). I've also read about the new Frontier and it too seems to be suffering from a bunch of issues. That's telling me something about Nissan at this point!
I'm going to keep an eye out of the results on this forum and then make an educated decision. I don't want to spend $50K
on a truck that's going to give problems. I don't believe in buying something that I have to be taking to the dealer for them to correct. None of the cars & trucks that I've ever owned have seen a dealer for a "correction". I might as well buy from one of the big 3 if I'm gonna have possible issues. Or as much as I dislike the Tundra, it seems like the only choice that almost guarantees a trouble free truck. The 5/100k warranty on the Titan is great but I don't want to rely on that. For me a warranty is for when something breaks but not something to be using because issues need to be corrected.
Hopefully I'm overthinking because I really like the Titan!

·
Registered
418 Posts
You have to take forums with a grain of salt. There are enthusiast who frequent forums to get ideas. But it seems the largest group of people on any forum are the ones who have an issue and come to resolve them. Which leads to a slanted view of the reality of the truck. Or any vehicle actually, most forums are the same.

In this day and age where people have so many outlets to voice their happiness or displeasure, generally the ones who are angry speak the most AND the loudest. Which leads to a skewed view.

Yes, there’s gonna be some trucks with issues from any manufacturer. Titan is no different. However those issues are generally not huge issues FOR MOST. Some folks sadly actually get a lemon.

Do your research on any truck and you will see the same thing play out, just with different components. Ford’s- turbo issues and rust. Chevy- engine management system causes engine issues. Dodge- trans and electric issues. Toyota even has some faults that seem common if you search a tundra forum.

Again, take the stories with a grain of salt. While there may actually be issues, they are not in the numbers any forum would make you believe they are. For every truck with a problem, there are untold numbers that never have an issue. Those content owners just have less reason to search out forums unless they are enthusiasts.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Also, frontier is all new. First gen issues will plague most new vehicles. Probably the tundra as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You have to take forums with a grain of salt. There are enthusiast who frequent forums to get ideas. But it seems the largest group of people on any forum are the ones who have an issue and come to resolve them. Which leads to a slanted view of the reality of the truck. Or any vehicle actually, most forums are the same.

In this day and age where people have so many outlets to voice their happiness or displeasure, generally the ones who are angry speak the most AND the loudest. Which leads to a skewed view.

Yes, there’s gonna be some trucks with issues from any manufacturer. Titan is no different. However those issues are generally not huge issues FOR MOST. Some folks sadly actually get a lemon.

Do your research on any truck and you will see the same thing play out, just with different components. Ford’s- turbo issues and rust. Chevy- engine management system causes engine issues. Dodge- trans and electric issues. Toyota even has some faults that seem common if you search a tundra forum.

Again, take the stories with a grain of salt. While there may actually be issues, they are not in the numbers any forum would make you believe they are. For every truck with a problem, there are untold numbers that never have an issue. Those content owners just have less reason to search out forums unless they are enthusiasts.
I get what you're saying but here's my issue with that thought:

Production numbers for 2020:

Silverado/Sierra: 847,108
Ford F150: 787,422
Ram: 563,676
Tundra: 109,203
Titan: 26,439

The probability of something going wrong or getting lemon is much higher with any of the other brands/models. They make tons of them which means many more problems reported. (Higher probability) With the Titan, it has low production which means complaints should be much less. (At 26k production, complaints should practically be nonexistent!). I'm hoping that lower production numbers means more care in assembling it!
Don't get me wrong, The Titan is still my #1 choice and will most likely be what I buy. I just want to be sure that it's a good machine!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can agree with that to a point. However as much as it sucks, every vehicle is going to have problems. To expect anything less is unrealistic. And that’s such a stupid thing to say considering the money they cost, but it’s the truth.

I tried to find how many members this site has but couldn’t. Maybe an admin could tell us. I do know there’s a FEW who are truly active on here, some who come occasionally to BS and then the majority come and sign up to solve a particular issue and then never return. That skews our perspective of the truck.

Yes, the production numbers are less than the big 3, but that’s also why you will save thousands over those trucks. Respectively, this site will have less members which will make the complaints seem more frequent. Out of those 26,000+ trucks, there’s not a lot of folks here with issues, especially catastrophic issues.

I’m in no way trying to talk you into spending your hard earned money on a Titan. I just caution you on writing it off on the small sample of owners here and basing your decision on that. A smaller sample group will always seem to magnify problems. If the truck was that bad there would be 1000’s of people here complaining.

Instead, we have a few truly problem trucks, a few truly problem owners and some trucks with with mostly minor problems and annoyances. The majority of folks just have solid and reliable rigs.

Perhaps instead of forums where many come to complain, look at reliability studies. JD Power, with all its issues and questionable revenue sources (OEM’s) does the initial quality in which the Titan has done well in. Those results come from actual owners and the OEM’s have no control over those numbers other than to make a quality product.

Ultimately, you will make your choice based on what works best for you. Whatever way you go, hopefully it’s a solid rig and serves you well, Titan or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I'm going Titan shopping tomorrow! I will be test driving a couple. You never know, I might drive off the lot with one tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Good luck, whatever direction you go! Keep us informed either way.
It’s always interesting to see what people’s deciding factors are that make them choose one ride over another.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts