Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck started to develop a knock when in gear at idle. I was hoping it was an exhaust manifold that needed to be tightened.
Took the truck into the dealership for an oil change and they ended up ordering me a new motor instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
574 Posts
Wow that's cra cra ! How many miles ? I'm around 25k and going cross country in May. Will be putting on around 4 thousand miles and listening for any problems.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that's cra cra ! How many miles ? I'm around 25k and going cross country in May. Will be putting on around 4 thousand miles and listening for any problems.

Just over 16k kms (almost 10k miles).
Never had a problem with my 2017 so I don’t expect this to be a recurring issue.

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Good to hear they are taking care of it and hope they figured out what caused it and no more will happen after that discovery.

T

·
Registered
642 Posts
Interesting that different folks state the sound is from cylinder #7 .

Might be a batch issue with the way the cylinder was manufactured or a crankshaft issue affecting rod angle... Could also be cyl 7 is at the end of the oil passage loop... maybe an oil pump issue or oil passage blockage in the crank..

I have three of these engines so will listen for any abnormal sounds that might turn up in the future....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting that different folks state the sound is from cylinder #7 .

Might be a batch issue with the way the cylinder was manufactured or a crankshaft issue affecting rod angle... Could also be cyl 7 is at the end of the oil passage loop... maybe an oil pump issue or oil passage blockage in the crank..

I have three of these engines so will listen for any abnormal sounds that might turn up in the future....

I suspected a batch issue as well. There was no investigation of any kind. I suspect they ran the vin and my engine was already flagged.

I’m not really put out by this... I just hope the truck is as good as it was before the transplant (with respect to fitment, rattles, etc).

I recently got back from a trip to Florida and I was disappointed with the mileage. I averaged about 18 mpg where I’m sure it should have been in excess of 20.
I ended up using as much as my buddy who drove with us in his F150 with the 3.5L engine and I know my truck is better on the highway.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I suspected a batch issue as well. There was no investigation of any kind. I suspect they ran the vin and my engine was already flagged.

I’m not really put out by this... I just hope the truck is as good as it was before the transplant (with respect to fitment, rattles, etc).

I recently got back from a trip to Florida and I was disappointed with the mileage. I averaged about 18 mpg where I’m sure it should have been in excess of 20.
I ended up using as much as my buddy who drove with us in his F150 with the 3.5L engine and I know my truck is better on the highway.

What is the build date on your truck? Just curious.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just received a call from Nissan Canada and they apologized for the fact that my engine is knocking and as a gesture of goodwill, they will be sending to the dealership a new "short block" engine to replace mine as well as $250 credit to use at the dealership.

They continued saying that this will fix my knocking forever.

Did I want a short block - not really. What I wanted was a long block (less components to attach compared to a short block)

If they've ordered you a new engine - all likely hood you will also receive a short block engine

·
Registered
255 Posts
Short blocks and long blocks are interchangeable.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just received a call from Nissan Canada and they apologized for the fact that my engine is knocking and as a gesture of goodwill, they will be sending to the dealership a new "short block" engine to replace mine as well as $250 credit to use at the dealership.

They continued saying that this will fix my knocking forever.

Did I want a short block - not really. What I wanted was a long block (less components to attach compared to a short block)

If they've ordered you a new engine - all likely hood you will also receive a short block engine

That’s what I expected. The knock alone would not warrant a long block. But I would take a long block all things equal.

How long are you expecting to be without the truck?
I’m going to have to ask for my $500 credit.

·
Registered
576 Posts
That’s what I expected. The knock alone would not warrant a long block. But I would take a long block all things equal.

How long are you expecting to be without the truck?
I’m going to have to ask for my $500 credit.

I'm planning on speaking to my service manager on Monday to see how long it will take to install. I've heard 30 to 40 hours

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm planning on speaking to my service manager on Monday to see how long it will take to install. I've heard 30 to 40 hours
It might be worth finding out if the dealership "mechanics" are qualified to do the work. It is a big deal to remove the heads, properly prep them, and install them.

If you're their first, at least you've got your warranty to rely on in case something goes south. A long block is a far better solution and the one that Nissan should be offering.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It might be worth finding out if the dealership "mechanics" are qualified to do the work. It is a big deal to remove the heads, properly prep them, and install them.

If you're their first, at least you've got your warranty to rely on in case something goes south. A long block is a far better solution and the one that Nissan should be offering.
That's what scares me - are they qualified - I definitely wanted the long block - will see if service manager will help persuade Nissan to change their mind or not

As for the warranty, I have 2.5 years remaining but I would expect Nissan to sweeten the warranty coverage on the engine to at least a full 5 years after install

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts

What’s your build date so we can look and see if we’re close to yours.

Clint

·
Registered
149 Posts
Truck started to develop a knock when in gear at idle. I was hoping it was an exhaust manifold that needed to be tightened.
Took the truck into the dealership for an oil change and they ended up ordering me a new motor instead.

I know they're doing what they should do but that still sucks. I hope they do also courtesy the extended 5 year/100k on the new motor. Definitely ask Nissan CS about it.

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
12/17

I believe mine is 11/17, time will tell if it’s a bad batch. I’ll look when I get home.

Clint

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Mine was built 11/17, it has 18,000 miles and going to Florida in three weeks pulling a utility trailer round trip, hope I never end up in this group of engines but if I do I’ll just have to get it repaired.

Clint

1 - 20 of 89 Posts