Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NGK has released a new line of spark plugs that fit the Titan. They utilize a new element called 'ruthenium' in the electrode that is claimed to deliver better ignition and durability for a variety of reasons:

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/ruthenium-hx

The ruthenium plug for the VK56DE is labeled the LFR5AHX and I was able to shop around and get a set for not much more than the standard LFR5AIX-11 Iridium NGK plug. It may be a year before I'm really due to replace the original NGK iridium plugs that are in there now. Wondering if any other Titan owners have gone to this new spark plug and if they have any comments on their performance?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK- this is one of the first 'hard parts' for the first gen to come along in a long time! Nobody else is even interested?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Over 100 views and nobody has anything to say about a product that might improve the fuel economy and performance of a Titan?

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
That's so freaking god damn cool!!!! I gotta go out and swap my plugs even though I just did them 5k ago. I gotta try these new plugs!!!! I can't wait to throw my new ones away and spend money on these ...

How's that.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's so freaking god damn cool!!!! I gotta go out and swap my plugs even though I just did them 5k ago. I gotta try these new plugs!!!! I can't wait to throw my new ones away and spend money on these ...

How's that.
At least you posted something, even if it's a snarky remark! And yeah, since I've already swapped out the NGKs iridium plugs on my street and race cars, I'm reluctant to simply toss those away. But while my Titan is about 15K away from its next scheduled plug change, I've got a full set of the new LFR5XAHRs to install this spring! Let's see if they make any difference to the performance of the VK56DE.

In the meantime, at least this post is trying to spread the word about a new product from a reputable OEM supplier. Not saying it'll change the world, but it's an affordable upgrade that should be of interest to Titan owners.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Its good info. I will try them on my next change too. Although I have yet feel and difference from all the crazy plugs I have tried. I use to have a race go kart and ngk plugs were the plugs that would last. I use them in all my cars and toys great product for sure.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its good info. I will try them on my next change too. Although I have yet feel and difference from all the crazy plugs I have tried. I use to have a race go kart and ngk plugs were the plugs that would last. I use them in all my cars and toys great product for sure.
Curious about what other type and model of plugs you've tried on your Titan? I tried Bosch Platinums once on an older 240SX and the car ran much worse until I switched back to an NGK product. Usually, spark plugs aren't going to make a tremendous "seat of the pants" difference unless it's a different heat range for racing, but NGK does seem to have consistent and durable performance in my experience.

As stated, I'll be trying these new ruthenium plugs in my Titan. If they even make a 1.0 MPG difference while towing, it'll be significant. Towing near the 9K# max with a 24' enclosed race car trailer has never seen me get more than about 7.0 MPG, so we'll see.

·
Registered
172 Posts
In my Titan I have have used nothing but NGKs except for what it came with from the factory, but I cant remember the brand (Maybe NGK). I have used only NGKs for many years now. I have built and owned several classic cars (Muscle Cars) and you can really tell the difference from plug to plug in those cars. I live local to NGK here in CA and years ago I went in there for some info and to ask about a design that I thought of many years ago, A halo style plug (which now exist not from me). They gave me a tour and educated me on plugs form materials to heat ranges and so on. I am very partial to them now of course. I have tried Champion, Denso, AC Delco, Split Fire and the list goes on. Some of the plugs have been OK but I have actually had plugs blown apart. The porcelain has separated form the metal and electrodes have snapped off. I have owned several two stroke engines which will really put the plug to the test and NGKs are the only plugs that hold up in that environment.

I agree any mileage increase would be great but unlikely from just a plug change. The ignition system in Today's modern vehicle is very efficient and difficult to to increase.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
$11 each vs $8.50 each for the Iridium's. At the end of the day it's about $20 more, but is it really going to change anything for the 95% of drivers that don't do anything performance-wise? I might try them when I go to change my plugs in a few thousand miles. I've got the Iridium's in there now, and while they were noticeably different than my OEM's, my OEM's were almost 100k miles old.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I thought the OEMs were NGK iridium plugs?

I'm about due for my first change (just hit 95k) on my 2011, so I'll have to consider these or the standard iridiums. Might try these just to see. I'm hoping a new set of plugs brings a little life back to my truck. Seems to be a little soft lately in the mid-range (1800-3000rpm) if I'm rolling. I know that's pretty much trans shift point related (downshift doesn't come until too late in the accelerator cycle for my taste), but maybe some of it is a lack of clean, hot spark. It certainly cant hurt to swap between 95-100k.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did my plugs at about 120,000. I was shocked how clean they look. They were difintley worn however. Once placed I noted smoother startup and idle. The power virtually felt the same throughout.
Most NGK plugs burn clean (if they're properly spec'd), with a light brown color that indicates a good burn. The tips are where the wear occurs and if you look at the link I posted at the start of your thread, it's where the ruthenium coating is supposed to help the most. BTW- I just bought a set of the NGK ruthenium plugs for my wife's Infiniti for $8.45/plug at Rock Auto, so they're becoming available at an affordable price.

·
Registered
2008 and 2010 Titans.
13 Posts
HOLY ****!!! isn't this just the greatest! as if 140 ****ing dollars for a set of spark plugs didn't rape your wallet too bad........ Now we can buy a NEW kind for 180 bucks a set. Jesus ****IN A CHRIST!

·
Registered
2008 and 2010 Titans.
13 Posts
NEWs flash again! Nissan Now offering Flux Capacitors in all of their fuel efficient V=8s . Any Truck bought after jan. 2015 will carry this new ignition system. But the factory warning states." If one reaches 88mph while driving through a redlight, with a gray haired mad scientist,and a dude with parkinsons driving, the space time continuum could be altered and your Penis EXPLODE"! But have no fear, if you must drive 88m[ph whilst utilising this new high powered ignition system, just swing into your friendly neighborhood dealership and BIFF will be glad to adjust it for Ya?!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
LaMyBuOf SMH

My Frontier recommended plug change was 100k, I put some new NGK iridiums in at 88k and I totally felt more smooth power going up a good hill near home that usually required a down shift. With the new plugs it did not. I think I'll be changing mine out at 85k but with only 9k done the first year. I'm thinking we'll be around 2030 before I need plugs :big_grin:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HOLY ****!!! isn't this just the greatest! as if 140 ****ing dollars for a set of spark plugs didn't rape your wallet too bad........ Now we can buy a NEW kind for 180 bucks a set. Jesus ****IN A CHRIST!
Wow- this post reminds me of someone who has had their head in a hole for the past few decades. If the cost of a set of spark plugs is too much, I wonder how you could afford a Titan in the first place! But it's a new product that offers more durability and consistent performance that older plugs could only dream of.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
And clearly bad at math and shopping. I found a set of 8 of the new plugs for sale for well under $140, priced at $87.36, directly from NGK. With shipping, still only $93.99.

For those who struggle with math, that's about $14.10 per year (if you average 15k miles), and a measly $1.76 per plug per year. In the old days, I paid $1 apiece for Champions for small block Fords and Chevys. They lasted a couple of years under hard use, equating to $.50 per plug per year. Factoring in inflation, though, that's equivalent to $3.28 in today dollars, putting those old 30k mile plugs at an inflation adjusted $1.60 per plug per year. And that doesn't even factor in the extra labor the swap them three times instead of one.

What are you whining about? Plugs are still relatively cheap. Put on your big boy pants and act like a grown up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow- this post reminds me of someone who has had their head in a hole for the past few decades. If the cost of a set of spark plugs is too much, I wonder how you could afford a Titan in the first place! But it's a new product that offers more durability and consistent performance that older plugs could only dream of.
Are we now resorting to trolling on here? Again... So. Confused.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is all BS, I have a 2006 crewcab bought new . At about 106000 miles bought a set of plugs to install, when I pulled first plug it still looked new so I reinstalled it...saved the new plugs for later. But later has not yet come titan now has 198000 miles on original plugs....wtf over ?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts