Nissan Titan Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
One refinement to changing over to the Ruthenium NGKs was to have the ECM relearn fuel usage parameters. This past weekend I had another long tow to a racetrack and used my UpRev Cipher system to reset this system. I'm told this can also be done through Nissan's CONSULT 3 system, or possibly other tuning systems. In any case, the VK56DE picked up another 1 MPG (which is a LOT in towing nearly 9K) over this weekend tow, and is definitely worth doing if you have the ability to reset the computer.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I’m getting excited I’m at 89,000 miles but won’t upgrade until 100,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I’m getting excited I’m at 89,000 miles but won’t upgrade until 100,000
No need to upgrade until those iridium NGKs need replacement. But the new ruthenium NGKs go even further (120K) and offer some increased efficiency with a fuel relearn.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Got a set for my 150k maintenance, $79 from RockAuto including tax and shipping. I got the Iridium's at 100k, ran my OEM's at 50k intervals. Probably a little early, but it won't hurt. These will go in along with regular oil change, trans, both diffs, coolant, transfer case, power steering. I just changed brake fluid around 5k ago so I'm not messing with that. The truck should feel a lot better after all that.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks for the update on pricing. This weekend I had a long tow to race and went through a big rainstorm last night on the way home. The Titan ran great and while it might be my imagination, the new NGKs seemed to allow the VK to work powerfully and efficiently.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Still on original plugs 2006xe, 201K miles, performance still same as original.

No offense but you can blow your cats letting the plugs go that long and that ain’t cheap. Pretty taxing on the engine too as they lose voltage. They may look fine but inside they are near death. I’d swap a new set in

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Finally got some time to install my plugs. No issues other than I forgot how much of a pain the driver's side is. Plugs had about 50-60k on them, can't remember when I changed them last. On each side, plug #3 from the front (cylinders 5 and 6) had some nasty stuff above the seal. Feels kind of like old, gunky oil. No CEL, shuddering, anything out of the ordinary really. I plan on running the truck for a few days then pulling those 2 to see if it's on the new ones. I found a few other posts about this issue, but no definitive answer on what it is.

Truck is UpRev tuned with full Cajun stage 2 exhaust and CAI.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Finally got some time to install my plugs. No issues other than I forgot how much of a pain the driver's side is. Plugs had about 50-60k on them, can't remember when I changed them last. On each side, plug #3 from the front (cylinders 5 and 6) had some nasty stuff above the seal. Feels kind of like old, gunky oil. No CEL, shuddering, anything out of the ordinary really. I plan on running the truck for a few days then pulling those 2 to see if it's on the new ones. I found a few other posts about this issue, but no definitive answer on what it is.

Truck is UpRev tuned with full Cajun stage 2 exhaust and CAI.
Wow that is odd. I will have to look for that post I’m at 106,000 on originals pretty sure I bought it with 61,000 on it. Probably change them this weekend

·
Registered
2008 and 2010 Titans.
13 Posts
So. Confused.
Really? Confused? So how much of a horsepower and fuel mileage increase did any of you see after installing these plugs? I own two titans. If all you had to do was change to a hotter plug to make your Truck(or car) better, .... wait I'm wasting my time aren't I. Shame on me. I think the next electrodes NGK is going to offer for the Titan is made of Unobtainium. They'll REALLY make your vehicle fly and do cartwheels! You guys are retarded.

·
Registered
2008 and 2010 Titans.
13 Posts
This is all BS, I have a 2006 crewcab bought new . At about 106000 miles bought a set of plugs to install, when I pulled first plug it still looked new so I reinstalled it...saved the new plugs for later. But later has not yet come titan now has 198000 miles on original plugs....wtf over ?
Amen, some of the **** people will believe is rediculous

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
There's been no ridiculous claims of increased fuel mileage or power in this thread. Yes, I measured a measly 1 MPG increase while towing, but that's such a small increase. Yet anything I can do to make the Titan more efficient is a aim. If it's a set of affordable NGK plugs with some new coating technology, at least there's another option people can consider.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Hmmmm...NGK comes out with a new plug which is, best I can tell, slightly less expensive than the Iridium Flex Fuel plugs, and people are actually using them? Wow! Of course, real mechanics know spark plugs never actually go bad or need replacing (especially at 100k) so just leave the OEM stuff in there forever. It's like oil. It doesn't really wear out.

·
Premium Member
69,155 Posts
Good thing they don't have to change the plugs, points, and condenser and adjust the timing, dwell and carburetor, and do a chassis lube anymore... These new guys would be lost as last year's Easter egg.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Really? Confused? So how much of a horsepower and fuel mileage increase did any of you see after installing these plugs? I own two titans. If all you had to do was change to a hotter plug to make your Truck(or car) better, .... wait I'm wasting my time aren't I. Shame on me. I think the next electrodes NGK is going to offer for the Titan is made of Unobtainium. They'll REALLY make your vehicle fly and do cartwheels! You guys are retarded.
Retarded as we may be, I got 1 tank of gas out of the new plugs before I traded my truck. Without changing anything else, using the same gas station, same gas, same commute/driving style I got a 0.5 MPG increase over the tank. Is that because of the fancy Ruthenium or just new plugs? Who knows? My old plugs had about 50k on them, and if you actually looked at the pictures I showed you can easily see the gap difference compared to new. That is quantifiable evidence that plugs do in fact need to be changed. But that's ok, leave your oil in for 50k miles it's fine. Never change your plugs. Your engine shaking is normal.

Go back to your bridge, troll.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts