Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my 06 titan 4x4 is at 95220 miles. dealer has been doing the oil (mobil1)change regularly. im thinking to moving up to amsoil synthetic. any one do this? i plan on keeping it due to the fact i still owe more than its worth. tranny has amsoil synthetic. thanks from grand coulee, washington.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Either one will just fine. Both are excellent oils. I have been running M1 since the first oil change but I bounce between that and Castrol Edge Extended Protection, which ever the local auto parts store is running the sale on.
My trany, transfer case and diffs have Amsoil in them. 136K miles and still running like new.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I have a truck at work with Regular oil every 3K, it is at 295K. Runs great. I personally use M1 every 5K and will not change from it. UOA proves it to be doing fine. Stick with what has worked fine.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Either one will just fine. Both are excellent oils. I have been running M1 since the first oil change but I bounce between that and Castrol Edge Extended Protection, which ever the local auto parts store is running the sale on.
My trany, transfer case and diffs have Amsoil in them. 136K miles and still running like new.
Hey man did you get a tune up at 100k? I'm 4k miles away from it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am not sure of your oil change interval. And I do not consider Amsoil "moving up" personally though they certainly make a quality product. IMO any brand name oil will do.

I just posted a UOA with Penzoil Platinum with 5300 miles on it. Blackstone labs suggested trying 7300 and checking back to go longer. I don't think you will get some magically long oil change interval from Amsoil products.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hey guys I just bought my Titan and it has 110,000 on it and its time for an oil change. My question is, will it hurt to use a synthetic blend or conventional oil if it has synthetic in it? Also what do you know about Mobil 500, that's what I plan on putting in it, it states to be a syn blend. I forgot to mention that I have no clue what oil the previous owner used. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Your engine is certainly broke in, so no reason to have any fear of what oil to use. Use a name brand oil and change at about 5K, do a used oil analysis at least one or two times to see how it is wearing. Look up Blackstone laboratories, it only cost $25 per test. 12glocks posted a very accurate assessment! I ran M1EP (rated for 15K) for 15K (but with 8 track runs and 8 dyno runs too!), and it was too much. Blackstone says oil is oil as far as being dirty. Leave it in too long and it will become abrasive. 5-7K seems to be the max for most of us. Synthetic's main advantage is that it will not burn if the coolant system fails. That saves your bearings if the coolant hose were to break and engine overheats.

Reactions: 12glocks

·
Registered
631 Posts
Much appreciated TitanBlue!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
59 Posts
so my 06 titan 4x4 is at 95220 miles. dealer has been doing the oil (mobil1)change regularly. im thinking to moving up to amsoil synthetic. any one do this? i plan on keeping it due to the fact i still owe more than its worth. tranny has amsoil synthetic. thanks from grand coulee, washington.
My '05 has 278K on it. I've been running Mobil1 full synthetic for the last 1 1/2. No leaks, mainly hwy miles & I change it every 5-6K

·
Registered
506 Posts
My '05 has 278K on it. I've been running Mobil1 full synthetic for the last 1 1/2. No leaks, mainly hwy miles & I change it every 5-6K
Since you're at 278k how many miles you think our Ts can take before giving up?

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Since you're at 278k how many miles you think our Ts can take before giving up?
Not sure, I'm going to keep going for awhile. The truck does not owe me anything. I replaced the water pump last year, going to do the power steering this year. I haven't replaced the belt, or a light bulb so far. (Chevy, you should take note on this)
My rear shackles went through the box as I see a bunch of others have as well.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am not sure of your oil change interval. And I do not consider Amsoil "moving up" personally though they certainly make a quality product. IMO any brand name oil will do.

I just posted a UOA with Penzoil Platinum with 5300 miles on it. Blackstone labs suggested trying 7300 and checking back to go longer. I don't think you will get some magically long oil change interval from Amsoil products.
A good running engine can safely run with synthetic oil over 10k miles without changing it, just a filter swap at every 3k or so and forget about it. :)

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Hey man did you get a tune up at 100k? I'm 4k miles away from it.
New Plugs at 92K and probably cleaned the air filter at around that time. 136K and still have the original fan belt, sad huh.

Honestly I do regular maint. If it is broke I fix it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
A good running engine can safely run with synthetic oil over 10k miles without changing it, just a filter swap at every 3k or so and forget about it. :)
I'll have to respectfully disagree. I have not seen any evidence to indicate your statement is correct, especially the safely part, in the Titan VK56DE. I'm gonna run my truck 7000 or 7500 this interval and see what the lab says. I think the chain driven cams are a little harder on oil but am not certain of this.

A decent filter should go 10k but I would wanna work up to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts