Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...just replace the pads on my T without turning down the rotors? I have just turned 80k on my truck and need to replace the original brakes. I really don't have any wobble or judder during breaking so I think the rotors are worn evenly. Can I just simply replace the pads and still be OK or will it wreck the new pads without turning down or replacing the rotors?

·
Super Moderator
160,796 Posts
It won't "wreck" the new pads unless your rotors are really grooved, but the life of both the rotors and that of the new pads will likely suffer. They'll both be toast more quickly than if you turn the rotors.

Reactions: The Engineer

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
You can just put in the pads.
But a real full boat brake job includes turning the rotors.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If your going to do it, do it right and turn the rotors .010 of an inch...If your doing the job yourself, taking the bare rotors to be turned saves alot of money. Should only cost about $20 for the front set.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I didn't want to mess with the big bolts, and the rotors looked great. I thought about scuffing them up with an orbital sander, but wondered exactly what that would accomplish since I was putting on the same pads. Scuff off the old pad material and then bed them with more of the same stuff from the new pads? So I just slapped on the new pads. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah my plan is to do the new brakes myself. I have read the write-ups on the forums and it's something I'm prepared to tackle with the help of a knowledgeable friend. However I've been back and forth about turning down the rotors, then I read that that can sometimes do more harm than good and a lot of people on the forums just replace the rotors with new ones when they do the brake job, so.... I dunno. I just don't know if I have a ton of money to sink into new rotors at this point. The rotors have never been touched as this is the first brake job I've needed, so I would assume they've got life left in them, right?

Sorry for my undecidedness, I feel like a woman needing reassurance here :bangit: :teeth:

·
Super Moderator
160,796 Posts
If you're not getting judder, you're probably OK to put the pads on and keep going. How many miles on the rotors?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they're original, so just at 80k now. I do a lot of highway driving. Not a lot of stopping hahaha

·
Premium Member
58,287 Posts
I've done it many times without a problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It won't "wreck" the new pads unless your rotors are really grooved.
Last Jan I needed a state inspection - and already knew I needed front pads before it would pass. The drivers side rotor was really grooved, but being unemployed at that time - I needed to hold every penny in my pocket. I installed a set of $30 Advanced Auto pads and didn't do anything to the rotors. A year later, the rotor looks better than ever. :D

But I'm doing it right this time around - new pads & rotors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts