Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a great start on it tonight. Will finish up and post pics tomorrow. Basically, what I am doing is putting a 5x7 in the dash above the radio in the top of the dash. I got the speaker installed, the dash part cut out perfect, and the grill 90% done.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There is no stock size speaker. I picked up a really nice 5x7 and decided it would fit with next to no modification (for me anyways) Here are the pics.

This first pic is of the dash looking down from the ceiling.

Looks like I need to tighten the right side down a little more or loosen the left side. Love pics for referencing things.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here in another view so you can sort of see how the upper dash piece will easily clear.

I am using junk speaker wire and rigging it for testing purposes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cut out that area following the line, then took 320 sandpaper to it for a clean edge. Made the grill out of aluminum (I have a 3x8 sheet so I can use it elsewhere to follow theme)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here it is from the bottom side. Notice that there is hardly any lip underneath if you follow the inner line, therefore, the cut has to be almost perfect.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Permanently mounted view from the top..... I like it. Making sure the holes were directional was fun...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it took about 3 hours total. Sanding the plastic was where a lot of time was, but you will see the edge when it is installed.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Key Benefit?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When you are playing your system, does it sound like it is coming from the left side with some noise at a lower volume slightly delayed on the right side? This helps when you run a mono signal to it. It brings the image to the center of the vehicle. When you play something that is left or right only, it doesn't play or it does at a reduced volume.

It is like 5.1 for your car is the easiest way to explain it.

Just for screwing around, I hooked it up to left rear positive and right rear negative off the factory deck. The deck is not getting hot, etc and seems to be fine.

Now I suppose you are asking why the rear? Well, then I can turn its volume up and down compared to the front speakers by using the fader.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm so deaf and I play it so loud any way I don't think I'd notice. I use to have the ears of an Audiophile, now I have the ears of an old Audiophile.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
very cool project. Im going to go see what speakers I have laying around in the garage tomorrow.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I decided to add grills in the A pillars. There is a lot of depth in there. I think you could put a 3.5 in there if you wanted. I just did a really quick deal to see if it was what I was wanting. Location is perfect if I go ahead with why I did it. Now on to find some speakers..... I love it because it matches the center dash speaker.

I am thinking about redoing the sub box now.....lol.

Remember it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts