Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just joined up because I’m probably going to be a Titan owner soon. My father in law has offered to sell me his at a considerable discount since he really needs an SUV instead of a truck. And I need a four door truck since my family situation has changed. Anyway, it’s a 2009 crew cab SE, I think. 126k miles, 4x4, 5.6 engine. It’s CLEAN. Power rear sliding window, tow package, spray in bed liner, cd changer, etc. it’s also the heavy metal chrome edition, whatever that is. I’ve always been a die hard Chevy guy, but I dont think I can really pass this truck up though. And I really like how it drives. Are there any major issues with this model that I should look out for? I currently own 2 Toyota’s, but this will be my first Nissan anything.
I don’t have much in the way of mods planned for now, as I like mostly stock. I do plan to add the DU-HA under seat storage, a brake controller for towing my 16’ trailer and 24 horsepower tractor, and maybe some new wheels and leveling kit. I’d like to see how hard it is to add OE fog lights too, since it doesn’t have any. I’d love to take the step bars off, but my wife and kids will need them. It also has a set of cheesy duck commander all terrains that need to go. They sound like an airplane coming down the highway.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,695 Posts
Great truck deal. My dad has a heavy metal also, no idea what it means though but it's a very nice truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I’ve been doing some reading here and I’ve got to admit, I’m concerned about the exhaust manifold problem. I’m fairly competent at doing repairs so I believe it’s something I can do myself. But the initial cost of the parts worries me. It’s really odd that Nissan knew about the problem, but never really addressed it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is it odd Nissan never addressed it? That's a $3500 (at least) repair that around half of all Titan/Armada/QX56 owners are going to bring to the dealer service department. The percentage of folks that know about better options are probably really low and might be limited to us internet denizens of culture.

Reactions: Bigcountry78

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks guys. I’ve been doing some reading here and I’ve got to admit, I’m concerned about the exhaust manifold problem. I’m fairly competent at doing repairs so I believe it’s something I can do myself. But the initial cost of the parts worries me. It’s really odd that Nissan knew about the problem, but never really addressed it.
I did headers on my own. It's not hard, just time consuming for me.......with jacks, stands, and hand tools. The money and time are definitely worth it.

And plus check to see if that truck has the updated manifols with the support bracket between the first 2 tubes from the left. Mine did not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it odd Nissan never addressed it? That's a $3500 (at least) repair that around half of all Titan/Armada/QX56 owners are going to bring to the dealer service department. The percentage of folks that know about better options are probably really low and might be limited to us internet denizens of culture.
Ok, that’s a good point. But I don’t let dealers anywhere near my vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did headers on my own. It's not hard, just time consuming for me.......with jacks, stands, and hand tools. The money and time are definitely worth it.

And plus check to see if that truck has the updated manifols with the support bracket between the first 2 tubes from the left. Mine did not.
I’m borrowing the truck today to give it a good inspection. Will they prevent the cracks, or just prolong them?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far I haven’t been able to verify which manifolds it has, the head shields are in the way. I can’t find anything major wrong with it though. It’s got great power, and rides and drives very well for what it is. The small issues I have found are an airbag and TPMS light are on. The overhead sunglasses holder is broken, and somehow the tow/haul switch has fallen back into the dash.
It also appears to have a leaky pinion seal, but I’m not too concerned about that. Looks like it has an aftermarket aluminum diff cover too. There’s also a bit of rust at the rear of the frame, and on the trailer hitch. But that’s expected because of the weather around here. And it’s much better than some other chevys and fords that I’ve looked at in this year range.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
I’m borrowing the truck today to give it a good inspection. Will they prevent the cracks, or just prolong them?
Will prevent the most common Crack, is all.

I wouldn't worry too much about the manifolds. The other lights are just probably needing to be reset. If not, they're easy fixes I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
71,565 Posts
That's a factory diff cover.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Need some more input guys. Borrowed the truck today to pick up some equipment, and it was a cold start. This thing is burning oil. And I don’t means small puff, I means freaking blue cloud on startup. So what do y’all think? Is this a common problem? Or should I run from it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Probably needs a new set of valve covers. The baffles get clogged and replacing them is the solution. Pain in the neck sort of job, but not technically difficult beyond being sure you reconnect all the vacuum lines and such when putting it all back together.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably needs a new set of valve covers. The baffles get clogged and replacing them is the solution. Pain in the neck sort of job, but not technically difficult beyond being sure you reconnect all the vacuum lines and such when putting it all back together.
Is there any way to pinpoint and make sure that is the problem before I do it? I have the tools and capabilities, I just don’t want to do it and then find out it’s a ring or valve guide seal problem.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
For rings, you could do a compression test. Leakdown might tell you about valve stem seals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, after driving some more yesterday, and letting it sit overnight at my house, I haven’t seen any more smoke. Maybe it was a fluke with the pcv valve. Anyway, the bank approved the loan this morning so I’m the proud owner of a Titan now. My friends over at the Chevy forum are less than enthusiastic about it. But so far I’m liking it over most late model Chevy trucks I’ve had. It feels solid. I’ll probably just change the pcv valve and watch it from there.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Congratulations on the new truck. Sounds like it will serve you well for a long time. Oh, and if the factory heat shields are in place, you have the OEM manifolds, which for the 2009 are the "updated" versions, but still crack/fail with some regularity. Some people never have issues. Some crack well before 100k. most of the ones which are going to crack do so in the 90-130k range, but some crack long after that.

I think you're on the right track on changing the pcv valve and watching after that. Cheap and easy as a first step is always good. I'm about to swap mine for preventative maintenance, as well. My 2011 is at 125k. (And the manifolds are, as of yesterday morning, not cracked - haven't driven anywhere this morning because I'm working from home today.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congratulations on the new truck. Sounds like it will serve you well for a long time. Oh, and if the factory heat shields are in place, you have the OEM manifolds, which for the 2009 are the "updated" versions, but still crack/fail with some regularity. Some people never have issues. Some crack well before 100k. most of the ones which are going to crack do so in the 90-130k range, but some crack long after that.

I think you're on the right track on changing the pcv valve and watching after that. Cheap and easy as a first step is always good. I'm about to swap mine for preventative maintenance, as well. My 2011 is at 125k. (And the manifolds are, as of yesterday morning, not cracked - haven't driven anywhere this morning because I'm working from home today.)
Thanks, I’m loving it so far. I’ve been driving it everywhere since Saturday and have yet to see another hint of smoke. I’m bewildered, but relieved at the same time. At least I can rule out rings and valve seals, I think.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts