Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered today. R1Concept premium slotted rotors 4 all 4. Then ordered the Hawk LTZ pads to go with it. Hopefully I will be doing the install next weekend, I'll keep you posted on the install and how they work together.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
love R1concept rotors.. I have them on my Z, Altima, and soon the T as well... and your getting Hawks....NICE!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought this T several months ago and it was from up north. The rotors are rusting on the ends so no one will turn them. Had to bit the bullet and get new ones all the way around. Really wanted the Frozen rotors but didn't have that kind of cash. Hope I will be happy.

·
Premium Member
58,732 Posts
You will be happy.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Are you doing the work yourself? If so, put your keyboard down, and go do some heavy deadlifts, rack pulls, DB presses, skull crushers, etc. I'm a pretty young, strong, healthy dude, and those bolts kicked my A S S.

Good luck with the new hardware.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am and have a 4 foot long piece of EMT to do the work for me...I hope.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
nothin a lil heat cant fix....or a serious impact (600 ft lbs or more) to break them loose..

Galaxy Im sure youve played this game before... take some pics if you can..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah take notes and pics if you would. Never done it before but its about time for me to change mine out also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just ordered today. R1Concept premium slotted rotors 4 all 4. Then ordered the Hawk LTZ pads to go with it. Hopefully I will be doing the install next weekend, I'll keep you posted on the install and how they work together.
I agree the bolts kicked mi *** too and i bench press over 350lbs broke tools too got more cuts and scrapes from a simple upgrade to slotted disc then any project i ever had ... jst be ready for a fight lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Parts are suppose to be here tomorrow. I have been eating better and doing more 12 oz curls to get ready for this task at hand. I am going to attempt it Friday night or Saturday, I will try to get pics if i remember too but I will definitely update when its done.

·
Vendor
209 Posts
My recommendation is. before you go blasting those bolts with an air impact gun. Heat the threaded end of the caliper bolt, the end with the threads and use a real 1/2" drive 'breaker bar' with a shallow 1/2' drive 'impact grade' socket. Once the bolt breaks loose, continue applying the heat as you back the bolt out of the caliper carrier using either a ratchet or if you must. An impact gun. If you bust of the head of the bolt using that impact gun. You will be hating life for a long time, and you're back side will hurt from the kicking you're going to be giving your self !!! LOL

Hope that helps.

Keith

[email protected]

High Performance Brake Pads and Brake Rotors - Frozen Rotors

1.888.323.8456 / 952.746.8880

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I have started. Front right first. The bolts are 18mm caliper mounting bolt and 17mm caliper slide bolt. No loctite on the bolts and a short 2 foot breaker bar and all is good. I found that by turning the wheels I can access the bolts easier and use the longer breaker bar. I have the pads in the caliper and just waiting for UPS to deliver the rotors. So far about 30 mins on the first one. the first one is always the hardest, I hope anyways. Also the rotor really really liked my truck and did not want to leave it. With me being right handed I turned the wheel to the right all the way so I could really get some Arse behind it and after a few good whacks the rotor was looking for a new home. Cmon UPS and get here so I can complete this tonight. More updates to come.

Reactions: Quartz

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
So I have started. Front right first. The bolts are 18mm caliper mounting bolt and 17mm caliper slide bolt. No loctite on the bolts and a short 2 foot breaker bar and all is good. I found that by turning the wheels I can access the bolts easier and use the longer breaker bar. I have the pads in the caliper and just waiting for UPS to deliver the rotors. So far about 30 mins on the first one. the first one is always the hardest, I hope anyways. Also the rotor really really liked my truck and did not want to leave it. With me being right handed I turned the wheel to the right all the way so I could really get some Arse behind it and after a few good whacks the rotor was looking for a new home. Cmon UPS and get here so I can complete this tonight. More updates to come.
HELL YA! Guess its worse for some than others... Glad its going fairly smooth so far..

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK guys I'm done. Took about 3 hours for all 4 wheels. None of the bolts had loctite so they were all pretty easy with a breaker bar. Now gotta put 200 miles on it to break in the brakes. I will keep you posted once that happens. can already tell a difference in the pedal.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
One more thing to add is that I had to loosen the parking brake adjustment nut at the pedal to get the rear rotors off. I am just so glad I did not have to deal with the loctite on the bolts. Maybe its a year thing. Mine is an 08 and did not have loctite on the bolts. If you have done this work and had loctite on the bolts what year is your Titan? Maybe its something that was done on the earlier models.

I would also like to put a shout out to Blackbeauty for the awesome how to with pics. I printed it out and work and binded it together to make a small 64 page book. Had it right beside me the entire time. The pages are a little dirty now but it came in handy. I figured dirty pages are better than a dirty laptop.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Put the 200 ++++ miles on the truck and what a difference the new rotors and pads make. Of course the vibration is gone but what stopping power I have now. Gonna tow the 33 foot 6.5K# travel trailer this weekend so I will post after that too. So far a very good investment from what I can tell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with autospecialty rotors and brakes. My rotors are warped and i have to get new ones so i looked on ebay. i found the autospecialty brakes and rotors for all 4 wheels and was wondering why they were cheaper then oem replacements without pads? thanks

·
Vendor
209 Posts
I can't personally vouch for these particular rotors. However my past experience says this. If it's on E bay you need to know EXACTLY what you're trying to buy. Most of the people and companies on there are re-selling something they bought from a close out, bulk shipment, unclaimed freight etc... If you receive the wrong product, or have some type of warranty issue, or simply need SERVICE. Where are you going to go? Those rotor could be 'seconds' or a product that didn't meet the normal quality control standards required for a safe product. Take a look at the attachment I've provided and you'll know what I mean ! LOL
Everyone likes a 'deal', but some are better off being passed on! Brakes are not something you want to cut corners on !

Just my opinion.

Keith
[email protected]
High Performance Brake Pads and Brake Rotors - Frozen Rotors
1.888.323.8456 / 952.746.8880

Attachments

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I did my first tow with the new setup and I could really tell a difference. The pedal is much firmer and the rig stopped much shorter than it did before. again the old rotors were pretty shot but so far the new setup is working great. Total trip was around 140 miles and the TT weighs in about 7K#.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great to hear it went well. I recently upgraded from OEM to Hawk LTS pads as well, and talk about a huge improvement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts