Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any good reference threads for this.

I need tires for my 08 Titan 4wd. I'm planning to go with 275/70/18 (stock Pro-4X size), but I'm having trouble deciding which tire. Gas mileage impact is a big concern as I have a 40 mile round trip commute to work everyday and I do a lot of towing for fishing. However, I would like something that performs somewhat decent offroad. (preferably better than the factory Wranglers)

I really like the BFG All-Terrains, but they weigh 18 lbs more than the stock tires. My estimate is that I will lose at least 1 mpg with those.

Some other tires I am considering are:
BFG Rugged Trail
Dunlop Radial Rover A/T - These have a 60,000 mile warranty, but they are still much heavier than the stock ones.
Bridgestone Dueler A/T D695

·
Registered
365 Posts
If your main concern is fuel mileage then your only choice is the rugged trails. All other tires in that size are rated "E" and you will loose mpg. The rugged trails ride nice and traction in decent for a street tire. It is not intended to be used off road. You will only get about 15K or so out them too. If you are truely worried about mpg, stay with the 265/70.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
If your main concern is fuel mileage then your only choice is the rugged trails. All other tires in that size are rated "E" and you will loose mpg. The rugged trails ride nice and traction in decent for a street tire. It is not intended to be used off road. You will only get about 15K or so out them too. If you are truely worried about mpg, stay with the 265/70.
I got 66k out of my stock BFG's, they still had useable tread left on them but replaced them because they were over six years old. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Stay with an A/T tire since your off-roading will be limited. Nitto, Cooper, Michelin, Bridgestone and others make all -terrain tires that will do well. Do Some thread searching.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
I'm looking at tires too, but I'm going a little different route. Looking at Firestone Destination AT's in a 275/65/18. A little wider but a lower profile, great tread and they are only weigh 10 pounds more than the stock Wranglers. 2nd highest rated tire at tire rack for AT tires. I wanted 275/70/18's too, but not available in this tire so I went to the closest size.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm looking at tires too, but I'm going a little different route. Looking at Firestone Destination AT's in a 275/65/18. A little wider but a lower profile, great tread and they are only weigh 10 pounds more than the stock Wranglers. 2nd highest rated tire at tire rack for AT tires. I wanted 275/70/18's too, but not available in this tire so I went to the closest size.
I'd stay away from the Firestone destinations if I were you. I put some on my truck and absolutely hate them. Wnet with stock size.

Biggest problem is they wallow all over the road. Handling has gone to ****. Ride is pretty good but offset by other issues.

John

·
Registered
745 Posts
Total weight of the tire in the same size isnt that big of an issue for your MPG...Unless you go with something crazy like a 10ply. I went from the stock 265/70-18 to a 325/60-18 which is about a 32lb heavier tire on all 4 corners and only lost 2MPG...Go with whatever tire you like best

·
Registered
558 Posts
Total weight of the tire in the same size isnt that big of an issue for your MPG...Unless you go with something crazy like a 10ply. I went from the stock 265/70-18 to a 325/60-18 which is about a 32lb heavier tire on all 4 corners and only lost 2MPG...Go with whatever tire you like best
did you loose the mpg based off of weight? or added traction from more tire foot print on the ground? i would say 1 mpg weight, 1 added traction. something that is the same size and weight as a stock tire may get worse mpg based on the fact its just more grippy that stock.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
That's about 50 miles per tank, it adds up...

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
did you loose the mpg based off of weight? or added traction from more tire foot print on the ground? i would say 1 mpg weight, 1 added traction. something that is the same size and weight as a stock tire may get worse mpg based on the fact its just more grippy that stock.
Based on what?? I've ran wider/bigger tires on every vehicle I've owned... One tire wider than the other while at the same weight never made as much of difference as alot of people claim (assume) it does, but weight and/or outside diameter has always made a very noticeable difference.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
I'd stay away from the Firestone destinations if I were you. I put some on my truck and absolutely hate them. Wnet with stock size.

Biggest problem is they wallow all over the road. Handling has gone to ****. Ride is pretty good but offset by other issues.

John
I had Destinations on my Ford, never had any issues, was very happy with the tire. Were yours P rated or LT rated? If you went with a stock replacement they were probably P rated as the OEM's are. I'm switching to an LT rated tire, they get switched out on Monday.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had Destinations on my Ford, never had any issues, was very happy with the tire. Were yours P rated or LT rated? If you went with a stock replacement they were probably P rated as the OEM's are. I'm switching to an LT rated tire, they get switched out on Monday.
What's the diff between P or LT? Sidewall stiffness?

I would assume LT means light truck, P passanger? Don't know what mine are, will have to look.

John

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
What's the diff between P or LT? Sidewall stiffness?

I would assume LT means light truck, P passanger? Don't know what mine are, will have to look.

John
Correct P = Passenger, LT = Light Truck. Not only sidewall stiffness but generally speaking most LT rated tires have a higher PSI, wider tread, deeper tread, higher load rating, are heavier tire, and have a higher Ply rating than their P rated counterpart.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If your towing you'll probably want LT rated tires.I just put 265/70/18 Bridgestone AT 695 and they seem to be pretty good tires.I wanted AT Revo 2's but they were on back order.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm switching to an LT rated tire, they get switched out on Monday.
Did you get the destinations? I had them on my fronty and liked them, but they were a little more "loose" for lack of a better word than the AT Revo's they replaced. I bought off of the reviews as well. They have a relatively soft compound as well, so they will not last as long.

As for the OP, I have been looking at this size change as well. Just not sure I want the extra weight. From what i have seen, sticking with the stock size of 265/70 still gets you very close to a 33. I have the 275/65's on there now and they are actually barely over a 32 I think. There was a brand new set of Michelin AT2's on ebay that I posted a link for a few days ago. I don't think they sold and they were at a pretty good price. You may be able to still get them. What is your budget? In looking at the offerings on tirerack only, I would vote for either Michelin, MS2 or AT2, and then possibly the Wrangler SilentArmor. Unfortunately your "needs" are difficult in that you want off road capability as well as good commuting capability and towing capability. Just mu opinion of course.

Edit, just noticed your stock size for the Pro-4X. Sorry about that.

Reactions: Dasmoeturhead

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not to be an @$&
Then maybe you should keep your irrelevant thoughts to yourself?

I drive a Titan to pull my boat and haul whatever I need to every week. I didn't buy my truck to get great gas mileage, but given the cost of gas and the mileage I have to drive everyday I would rather not do anything to get worse gas mileage than I already do.

Anyway, back to topic. I went with the Nitto Crossteks in the factory size. They're great so far. The sidewalls seem much stiffer than the stock Goodyears and the truck seems to handle better. I haven't had a chance to take the truck offroad yet, but based on the tread design, I expect them to perform fairly well (at least compared to the stock tires).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree it is hard to find a tire for what you want it to do especially if you want to stay as close to OEM. I have had four set s of tires on mine and the current set is Hankook Dynapro MT. They are a little smaller then OEM. They are a 10 ply tire. They work well in mud but not so much on icy roads. That is the trade off I took. Rather be towed out of snow then mud. I have got 35000 miles on them and they holding up well. Stay away from General AT got 6000miles out of the fronts and 12000 out of the rears.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts