Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that toyo has a new size for their M/T. It's a 285/70/18. Does anyone have these by chance? Sounds like a great size for my leveled Pro4X.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Toyo doesn't have the specs on their website yet, but they will be about 34x11.5 and probably weigh about 70 lbs. I ran their 35.5" LT295/70R17E, and they were a little taller than the A/T's in the same size, but weighed a bunch more, at 73 lbs. They also have the slightly smaller LT275/70R18E which is 33.6" diameter.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
how did they handle in the rain and inclement weather?
They had aftermarket siping which I will always get done after my rain handling experience with this on the Toyo M/T. When they reached their last 6 months or so of life most of the siping had worn away. Since I had a Titan snow run meet planned the next day, I took them back to a different Les Schwab Tire Center and they said no problem, and sliced them again for free. The siping wasn't the panacea on a sheet ice hill the next day, (but may have helped), but I didn't know enough to air down my tires back then. The ice was really bad though, with one Titan spun out and people falling down, and while parked waiting, my Titan actually slide a couple of inches backwards down the hill!

After that they were still still excellent on the curves in the rain, (I drive all country roads), even past the wear bars. Got 37K miles out of them. A freeway driver would likely get at least 50 K to 60 K miles out of them, at least for the set I had on.

Handling on the curves, dry conditions, higher speeds, they were very close to the 0.7" smaller diameter, 15 pound lighter, aftermarket BFG A/T KO LT285/70R17 D which were also good in the rain, until they hit there last 1/4 of their tread then they got really crazy slick. Tried 300 lbs. of sand in the bed but no help at all. Should have tried to have had them siped but went and bought the Toyo's instead.

The negative is the weight of the Toyo M/T's. Stock tires 43 lbs. = 14 mpg, BFG KO's 58 lbs. 13 mpg, Toyo M/T's 73 lbs. 12 mpg. For my Titan 15 lbs is 1 mpg.

They weren't much rougher or much noisier than the KO's either, but not really any better in the dirt and loose rock which I normally off road in. Both are way better off road than my current Terra A/T's, at least when air'd up climbing jeep hills. The lack of any M/T improvement for my off roading, (over the KO), and the worse gas mileage had me go back to an A/T, but the M/T's look better and for the deeper mud I'm sure they are worth it.

Oh and during the drought, the lake level went down and exposed this big sand dune, which was amazing because mostly clay soil around here. I didn't want to deal with having to air down and figure out airing back up so I left the Toyo's at probably 40 psi and in 4HI easily climbed the dune, (with speed, first time I tried crawling like on the dirt rock jeep hills and got nowhere even locked). A lot of M/T's dig in sand but these did great. One run I forgot to go into 4HI and it climbed it in 2wd but is started bogging down at the top and I had to switch over to 4HI to prevent getting stuck.

Going from a stock tire, they would likely seem rougher and nosier than for someone already running a LT tire, like I was. The are the heaviest, tire I know of, and have very stiff sidewalls, but this helps in the curves, and for towing. But I could feel their extra weight when accelerating.

Having seen a lot of positive comments here and in reviews, I would also consider the Hankook RT03 M/T, if they have a size you like, and if they are substantially lighter, but if there's a 34 it can't be more than maybe 5 lbs. or so lighter in this basic size so only 1/3 mpg savings. In a 37 there could be enough difference to save some gas but I'm not familiar with the RT03 weights. Yeah get the Toyo ... the Toyo M/T is pretty much an amazing tire, just their weight is extreme.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the official specs of the 285-70-18 are on toyo's site and come in as follows:

69.5 lbs
19/32" tread depth
34.1" diameter
11.4" wide

i was wondering if these could be ran on a pro-4x as well, only if the pinch weld mod would be needed with the 1.5 prg lvl kit? i have come across answers both ways for tires around this size, thanks.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
No pinch weld needed if you put them on stock rims with a PRG 1.5" on a Pro-4x. Maybe heat and reshape the fender liner and trimming a little on the mudguards, (unless your caster alignment is way off and your wheels set farther back than most). Only reason I needed the PWM for 34's was I had aftermarket rims, that stuck out an inch more than the stock 18's.

Thanks for listing the specs. I noticed they had updated their spec sheet.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Anyone with an update on these? where to buy or price?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yikes! They are awfully proud of them - a quick Google search found one retailer listing them for $356ea. and another listing for $279 but out of stock....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts