Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got new tires put on, I changed from the 265/70/18 to the 275/70/18. I went with the BFG all terrains. They look awesome and much better than the goodyears that came on it. Only problem is that now my TPMS light is on. Tires have the correct pressure. Ive read before that the TPMS sensor is hard set for a specific tire pressure range. Anyone know how to fix this? thanks!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Tires have the correct pressure.
When you say correct pressure, what exactly is it on? I read some threads awhile back that if you have anything other than 35 psi or something way more than 35 psi, you may get issues with your TPMS.

Another reason why you might get issues with your TPMS, is the possibility of your sensor getting damaged by the shop you got your new tires from.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its at like 50 psi. That sounds really high to me for some reason. What psi does anyone else use who has this size?

·
Premium Member
58,355 Posts
50 psi is pretty high. I run my tires at 35 psi. I'm not sure if pressure that is too high will set off the sensors. I'm sure someone will chime in that knows the answer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
50 is right with those tires.

·
Registered
365 Posts
50 is right with those tires.
That's not correct. 35psi is the correct tire pressuse. You can increase the pressue to 50psi if needed for extra load. If your light is coming on and they are not able to reset it then they probably damaged the sensor. Your sensor will not go off until you are down around the 30psi range. The size of your tire does not affect the sensor. Take it back to where you got the tires and tell them to reset it. If it doesn't reset then the sensor is bad and will need replaced.

·
Registered
54 Posts
?:bump::bangit:

Attachments

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
did the shop put the sensors back in?

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Some tire shops will replace the valve stems with regular stems and throw away your OEM TPMS sensors. If they did replace the TPMS sensors then you'll need to have them programmed into the ECU. IIRC, I think my light stayed off at 50psi, but it's been a couple years ago..

·
Registered
365 Posts
?:bump::bangit:
That is the MAX pressure for your tires...not the setting. Check your door for proper tire inflation setting. 35 psi. You set the pressure to the truck specs...not the tires. You can inflate the tire to the maximum of 50psi if needed. This is why the goverment needed to step in and put sensors on cars. People don't understand what they are doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hate to get in the middle of a discussion, but can we get some pics of your T. Im thinkin about going with the same tires after the new ones die. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
That is the MAX pressure for your tires...not the setting. Check your door for proper tire inflation setting. 35 psi. You set the pressure to the truck specs...not the tires. You can inflate the tire to the maximum of 50psi if needed. This is why the goverment needed to step in and put sensors on cars. People don't understand what they are doing.
Isn't that for the tires that came on the truck?:read:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-wheels-tires-brakes/57235-bf-goodrich-all-terrain-air-pressure-help.html

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Sounds like they either didn't put the sensors back or one is broken. The OEM stems with the sensors are metal. If you have rubber stems in there, they didn't put them back in.

·
Premium Member
58,355 Posts
jaimr is correct. The truck determines the correct pressure for the tire not the other way around.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
jaimr is correct. The truck determines the correct pressure for the tire not the other way around.
FWIW, the PSI on the Titan door is for OEM sized P-Rated tires on the OEM wheels... The actual proper setting is determined by a combination of the vehicle, wheel size, the individual Tire specs + size, and the intended use... If you put LT Tires on and want full load support capability, alot of them will be 38psi and a bit higher... However, like you guys are saying, inflating to the max PSI on the tire is not wise, especially if they're LT tires on a 1/2-ton truck. :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Isn't that for the tires that came on the truck?:read:
No. If he has the BFG KO's 275/70/18 then the max pressure is 80 psi for an "E" load tire. If your tire says max pressure of 50 psi then it is probably a "C" or "D" load. If you take his tire for example, at 80 psi the tire has a max load of 3640. His factory tire has a max pressure of 44 psi with a max load at 2600. Factory setting is 35psi for this tire. So as long as you don't put on a tire that is below what the factory put on, you will be well within specs to run factory setting of 35psi. Now...allot of people run higher pressure for handling reasons on the "E"s but I personally think they ride to harsh at anything above 40 psi. I did run 50 psi when towing, but thats what they are designed for. You would have to call the tire manufacture to truly know what the rating is at any given pressure. So if he followed what you told him, he would have to run the tires at 80 psi.

·
Premium Member
58,355 Posts
Thanx Pops.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
TPMS only are for low readings, not correct pressures.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
So, while we are on the topic, anybody have a link to info on how to get the car to recognize a new TPMS sensor without super-special nissan tools? There is something like a specific pressure for each tire, and then a jumper, possibly a short rain dance...

·
Registered
365 Posts
So, while we are on the topic, anybody have a link to info on how to get the car to recognize a new TPMS sensor without super-special nissan tools? There is something like a specific pressure for each tire, and then a jumper, possibly a short rain dance...
If you just need it reset, most tire shops can do it ususally for free. Should take them a full 2 minutes. If you need them matched to the truck, find a local NTB/Sears (if you have them around you). They reprogrammed mine for $20. Took them 10 minutes. Dealer wanted $120.00. What a rip off.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts