Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Titan Pro-4x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! Feels great to join Titan family! Just bought a used 2018 Nissan Titan Pro-4x King cab with 18,000 miles on it. Already put 4000 miles on it within a month, Took me through a lot of rough trails. However I did notice a weird sound when switched to 4lo. It mainly happens when using the brake especially when I activated hill descent control when going down steep hills. The sound is like when you hold a bouncy metal ruler at edge of a table, leave half of it outside the edge, press the loose end and let go of it. It will just bounce and make that kind of sound. Not every time I brake at 4lo, but almost all the time when hill descent control is on. I searched over the internet, someone said it might be the ABS kicking in. And it do have a feedback on brake pedal like when you hit brake hard and ABS kicked in. But I've never heard this kind of noise on my previous SUVs or sedans when ABS is activated. Anyone has similar experiences? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
856 Posts
Welcome.

It's probably a loose washer some where. Mine too, when turning right and hit a dip or pot hole, it's the vibrating sound like a washer under something loose

·
Registered
2018 Titan Pro-4x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome.

It's probably a loose washer some where. Mine too, when turning right and hit a dip or pot hole, it's the vibrating sound like a washer under something loose
Thanks for reply! First I thought it was my skid plate hit something and got loose, and my friend just sit aside the road and watch, nothing was hit and no obvious problem. Just the weird sound. So I never used hill descent control again, just manually shifted to first gear while going downhill. Works better than hill descent control and no weird noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Pro-4 that does the same thing. It does it if I'm creeping up to a stop sign it taking off slow. Doesn't do it all the time and not in 4WD. Sounds kinda like a boing, like when you hit one of those springy doorstops that go boinnnnng. The other day I was under it spraying some undercoating and I hit this thin aluminum pan. Heat shield or something I guess. It's about halfway back on passenger side. It's really thin and when I hit it, it made that noise. Maybe it just vibrates from exhaust running or something. Not a big deal but was glad I found it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Titan Pro-4x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2020 Pro-4 that does the same thing. It does it if I'm creeping up to a stop sign it taking off slow. Doesn't do it all the time and not in 4WD. Sounds kinda like a boing, like when you hit one of those springy doorstops that go boinnnnng. The other day I was under it spraying some undercoating and I hit this thin aluminum pan. Heat shield or something I guess. It's about halfway back on passenger side. It's really thin and when I hit it, it made that noise. Maybe it just vibrates from exhaust running or something. Not a big deal but was glad I found it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
So I read through almost all pages in manual that has something to do with 4 wheel drive, ABS, hill descent control. And it stated clearly in the manual Instruments and controls page 2-66(2018 version) that if you activate hill descent control, there will be clunk noise from under the hood or feel a vibration from the actuator when it is operating. This is normal and indicates the hill descent control system is working.🙂

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hill descent makes a lot of noise as it activates and modulates the ABS system - I also own a 4-Runner and it is noisier than the Titan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome.

That sounds more like a CV joint on the inner side. Check you boot for a break and chassis for grease throw. Particularly if it only occurs when turning.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
856 Posts
The underside is clean and shiney so maybe it's internal for the CV?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Possible. Check your rack and pinion, and tie rods for play too.
Possibly. It would be beneficial to check out your steering and suspension components too. Rack and pinion, and tie rods for play

1 - 10 of 10 Posts