• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this custom front bumper guard for the Titan from a local company named OIW. They tell me It's a new design just for the Titan. Notice in the pics how both the horizontal and vertical members follow the bumper countours. I was lucky and got the "first off" of this product and you wouldn't believe the compliments I've already gotten! This unit is built STURDY!! The few plain jane round tube bumper guards I've seen so far just don't do anything for the vehicle and are way overpriced (WAAG $330 for just a few feet of round tubing?) I can't wait to save up a few bucks for the rear guard and let OIW create something else that looks this tough. Post on this thread and let me know what you think and I'll provide more details later. Got to go right now. Check out the pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Looks kinda flimsy to me, my guess is this one is just for looks and not function.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
man you asked for opinions, so here goes. looks like something i worked on in high school welding class.

steve

·
Registered
61 Posts
Does Mel Gibson know theyre makin another MAD MAX movie???
Sorry bro doesnt give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Nice truck though!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If you are putting on a functional guard there must be a solution for the skid plate.

If it's just a little flash or flare you are looking for, you will sure stand out.

Looks like they put a lot of work into it. I'm sure that twist took a little time.

Very clean/professional looking.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sure doesn't look like it will protect the front end from anything... there's a reason why most brush gaurds are made out of steel tubing. That skinny thing looks like it would get crushed even from the littlest impact, like pushing it into the wall in a parking garage. (Which is what I love best about my brush gaurd - I can get ALL the way in without worrying about damage =)).

It doesn't have any upward attachment points. This lets impacts gain leverage over the joints. If you hit something with any force, it will either bend into your bumper, or snap off and go into your bumper.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The bottom skid pad looks ok but the rest looks too flimsy.

Remake the entire thing out of 1 ¼ or 1 ½ tubing and then you might have something.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, this is one tough crowd to please!!! This isn't intended to be a brush/cattle guard, it is a bumper guard only. It is very sturdy, solid steel (.25" minimum thickness) one piece welded construction, except for the 1/8 thick Aluminum plate on the bottom center section was bolted in place. Neat thing is that the 3/8" stainless bolt heads were left exposed on purpose to add a mechanical/rugged look , the middle one can be removed and the next one on either side used for liscense plate mounting (7" centers) with no effect on durability/function. Anyway, it isn't intended to be another cookie cutter bumper guard but definitely look custom. The uprights are thicker and deeper sections of steel than the Waag or Westin bumper guards. The middle center steel angle and lower center steel pipe (both horizontal) are also heavier than the other two competitor's I'm using for comparisons sake. I like the steel diamond plate used for the uprights and the lower side gussets since they tie in with my black diamond plate toolbox in the bed. Go to go again. Anyway, please narrow your feedback to compare with the two other "bumper" guards on the market, and let us know if you know of any others available and what you like/dislike (details) about theirs and also this one (OIW). I still think is is cool, I'll post some more details and clos-up pics later for those that might appreciate some craftsmanship vs. mass production.

·
Registered
146 Posts
goathead said:
man you asked for opinions, so here goes. looks like something i worked on in high school welding class.

steve
Ohhhhhhh!! ROTF!!! I like Goat's reponse the best! :) He did indeed ask tho... BTW, I think it is OK. I would not put it on my truck tho. But don't let that stop ya. As stated before, each to their own.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think it's funny....I must say I like the MASS produced look much better. I believe most people buy guards for looks anyway. I really like the Westin chrome with the skid plate look...If you could do something along those lines and a little cheaper I would take a look. Everyone has there likes and dislikes, I am just not ready for the Wrought Iron Fence look yet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Anyone ever watched the episode of the Simpson’s were Homer designs a family car? If you have you understand my opinion!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.