Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a bone stock 2014 SV 4x4 CC with 38k miles on it last week. I really like the truck, it is such an improvement over my 2000 F150 which is still an excellent truck. The one thing I started noticing the first week is that driving in town this truck handles like crap and is noisy in the suspension. The truck rides wonderful on good roads, like I would expect a low mileage 5 year old truck to ride. But, in town where there are lots of road surface changes, cracks, man-holes, transition strips, etc. this thing is driving me crazy. I drove my old F150 one day just to see if I was imagining things and I am definitely not. The F150 is like a caddy in town compared to my new Titan! I took it to my mechanic and asked him to check all the suspension components out focusing of front struts, sway control bushings, UCA and LCA bushings, tie-rods, etc. He reported the suspension is actually tight and in great condition except the front struts are shot. Based on what I've read on here, I'm not surprised.

I've read a lot on here in the suspension sub-forum especially. Most of what I read though leans toward leveling or lifting. I'm definitely not trying to lift, I am not really all that interested in leveling but I wouldn't mind the truck to be a bit more level. Based on what I've read, I should be able to improve ride quality and handling with Bil 5100s with no spacers and that would give me a slight leveling effect. What I am trying to accomplish is a softer, quieter ride. I'm not a huge fan of spacers or blocks etc.

If ride quality and handling is my primary goal, what is my best option for replacing the OEM struts? 5100s or should I be looking for a higher quality strut that is stock length?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just read the full description on PRG for the 5100s, I think that is what I need. 5100s, no spacer, set on 1" notch should put the nose of the truck below level but more level than factory rake, no UCA contact issues.

Unless someone gives a better option, I'm gonna order from PRG today and have my mechanic install. I'm not a DIY guy at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in the same boat, 2013 with 44k miles and rides are really bumpy. Let's hope someone with knowledge can help.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I can tell you more tomorrow. I dropped the truck off for 4 new Bilstein 5100s and a front end alignment. Picking it back up tomorrow. My OEM struts were leaking and weak. I'm really hoping the 5100s improve the ride or I will be dumping the truck. I love it otherwise, but I can't stand the rough ride and all the rattling driving in town where the road surfaces are constantly changing. It is great on highway or interstate which is rare for my drive.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Make sure your mechanic knows how to install them properly. There are some threads on here explaining that you have to keep some of the pieces from the original assembly, unless the Bilsteins were shipped with the additional parts. I know when I ordered from TAP years ago they added some bushings in. Mike at ORW (forum sponsor) knows a ton about suspension.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, my mechanic is all set and I gave him PRG # if he ran into any issues. I gotta say PRG service has been excellent. I called to make sure I got what I needed and he definitely knows his stuff. Gave me the confidence that I was ordering the right thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update for any newbies to Titans who might be interested in improving the OEM struts and ride with bilstein 5100s. I ordered from PRG and it was $400 shipped to my door. My mechanic installed all 4 and did front-end alignment for less than $300 in labor. The next lowest estimate I received from 4x4 and truck/auto specialty shops was $1200 (parts and labor). I pick my truck up from the mechanic and I'll report on ride stance change and ride quality.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reporting on results: Truck is like a whole new machine. Soooo much better ride and no suspension noises. PRG recommended middle perch on front struts, this leveled the front some. Truck is not perfectly level, but I love the stance change. Much less aggressive rake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts