Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I’ve been lurking for the past few days and finally decided to get in on the action. The last two trucks I’ve owned were Nissan. Both were 2WD (before they were given a name) with the first being a regular cab and my current being a king cab. I’ve had nothing but good luck with both of them and am now coming up on purchasing another. I’m at the point in my life where I want to enjoy some of it’s finer points and honestly don’t want to settle on a small to medium sized truck. I’d like to move into a full-sized for the sole reason of, “because I can”. True, I don’t really need a full-size truck. I don’t tow stuff, haul massive quantities, hunt or camp. I just want one! I’m sure some of you can relate?

To date I haven’t test drove a single vehicle and am not sold on the Titan yet. I have a Hemi Ram guy setting behind me at work who swears by the truck…or all Dodges’ in general. Another co-worker says Ford is the top rated truck and the way to go. Decisions decisions!

I totally understand when buying a vehicle the first year out your taking a chance and some of the things I’ve read here haven’t fared well on my mind. It truly sounds like there may be some kind of electrical issue with the Titan. Not a good thing, especially when smoke is involved! Others seem to have had problems with quality control items or the lack of attention to detail on the dealer’s part which doesn’t sound like the Nissan I know!

Like I said, I’ve only begun the research process and was pleased when Nissan announced the release of a full-sized truck. If the Titan is anything like the last two trucks I’ve owned I’d be sold in a heartbeat, but that remains to be seen. This place may swing my decision one way or the other but I guess that’s what it’s all about. I’ve enjoyed the read and will be hanging out here to get a nation-wide feel for the Titan. Hopefully in the spring, I’ll be driving one!

P.S. By the way, my name is Bill.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Be sure that when you read problems posts on these boards that you take them with a grain of salt. Many folks who have problems with their trucks come right here to find other people with similar problems and for no other reason. We don't always hear from those who love their truck because they have no reason to come talk with us.

Of course there are people like myself, Jet, Doghouse and a few other guys who are here because we love the truck and enjoy just BSing about it.

As for the titan, of course I'm going to tell you that it's the most badass truck on the market. I already spent 30k on one so of course I'm going to. Just like the Hemi guys and the Ford guys will stand behind their trucks as well. All I have to say is just go out and drive one of these guys. They're just so much fun to drive and oh so powerfull.

Shop around, ask us questions, drive a Titan or two and then make your decision. I've already made mine! =)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hello Bill, I just sold my Tacoma Dbl Cab 4x4 and loved that truck. I thought I would really miss it but the guy got it yesterday and I didn't even blink.. What am I saying ? This Titan is fun to drive!! I've even got pulled over a couple nights ago and I've never had a speeding ticket (20 + years driving) Still don't, I guess he liked what he saw. . I had to get a bigger truck for family increase and wanted to be able to tow travel trailer soon. Test drive them all... I had been looking for weeks just keeping an open mind when my dad suggested I look at Nisssan's new big truck. Until then, I guess I've been in a closet .. I had no idea they even had one coming out. I really liked the F 150's interior and new looks but ultimately I went with the functions of the Titan and boy, that feeling behind the steering wheel! So far I've had mine a few weeks and can only say good things about it. I live in truck country and have been wating for some backlash especially at my place of business but so far everyone is impressed. Studying the numbers and mostly the feel.. I am happy with my decision. Ultimately you must please yourself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bill, I am in exactly the same situation. I don't NEED a truck, but I have become a bit bored with the luxury sedans and minivan. :) This may be a mid-life crisis! :)

I have looked at most everything on the market and so far, I like the Titan the best. I have only two hesitations:

1. I must have a bed cover and so far, there is not one available for the utilitrac bed. I'm sure one will be out soon.

2. I am a bit concerned about quality in a new model--probably some bugs to work out.

My plan is to purchase the LE fully loaded (sunroof, nav, DVD, etc.). I don't know if I want the 4x4 or not.

My recommendation is to wait at least 6 months to see what issue pop up. I may wait until the summer or even until the 2005 model year.

Welcome to the forum.
Barrett

·
Registered
169 Posts
Welcome! I too, am researching my next truck. I am fairly sure it will be a Titan. The reason I'm not 100% is because I'm not quite sure how long I'll have to wait before I get one (2005 models may be out by then).

I drove the Dodge Hemi and, while it is a very nice looking truck, the engine is way overrated. In addition, I now own a Dodge Dakota. It doesn't sound like the Ram is as problematic, but I have not been pleased with the way Daimler-Chrysler ignores major problems (just do an internet search on "Dakota" or "Durango" and "ball joints"). There is also a strong case that they are ignoring an engine lubrication issue. It takes a class action lawsuit to even get them to hear you.

I liked the new F1-150, especially the interior of the FX4. I've owned Fords before and I would again. I really can't complain. I just wasn't impressed with the power.

My second choice was the Tundra Double Cab. I didn't love the truck, but since I need a bigger truck, and none of the others really made me happy when I drove them, I might as well go with the the most reliable. Plus, for only 240 hp it feels as powerful as the Dodge and the F-150.

I don't like the Chevy, so I didn't even drive it.

The Nissan made me happy. The power is great and Nissan's rep is still better than the big 3. Drive them all and see if you agree. Goodluck!

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
The F150 and Tundra have only four speed transmissions. The Tundra does not have disc brakes on all four wheels. The Tundra has a timing belt, not a timing chain like the Titan has, which means you will have the extra cost and aggrevation of replacing belts every 60,000 miles or so. I read that mainly because the Titan has an all aluminum engine (except for cylinder sleeves) it weighs only 120 lbs more thatn the Tundra. With 305 hp vs 240 for the Tundra, the Titan has a much more favorable power to weight ratio that you can really feel when you compare them in a test drive. The Titan is a real full size truck; the Tundra is not. The main things that are spoken in benefit of the F150 is the styling and an easy lifting tailgate. The main things spoken in benefit of the Tundra Double Cab is the electric powered rear glass.

So, if you are looking at styling, tailgates, or electric rear glass, buy the Ford or Tundra. If you are looking for engine power, power to weight ratio, performance, interior space, functionality, and driving thrill factor, choose the Titan.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Didge's are good, but old tech

FORD stands for "Fix Or Repair Daily" that's what my car rental agency rep. joked, in Boston, as he rented a Camry for me.

I've had two Fords (Tracer, Cougar), three Chryslers (Wranglers, Dogde 2500): Dodge & Wrangler's are good and reliable, although their attention to details and updating to modern technology lacks behind the curve. Just my opinion/observation. :fight:

We know Titan power's strong (!), but I am pleased to see that the handling's sharp.

We named our Titan "The Smokin' Stallion." My wife liked the trivial fact that a chic designed the Titan after hitting the "glass ceiling" at GMC: kind of reminds me the Wing Chun Kung Fu founder, a bad-*** Buddist nun of the name, in the Middle Ages in China (that was that skinny pugilist the late Bruce Lee's art).

My old '86 Nissan 720 4x4 KC is da MULE, reliable still at 234,ooo miles.

What' matters most is power, MPG gas milage, then reliability. Handling/ride's just icing on the cake. power is the cake.

Alert: the electronic locking differential rear axle option will not begin until April 2004.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input and information guys. I appreciate the welcome and am looking forward to hanging here. I'll probably start hitting the streets in early spring (when my daughters collage bills are paid in full). Till then I'll be doing some test driving and lots of research, and if all goes well will be driving a Titan by fall!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts