Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research and some serious inner conflict, I went ahead and had the Nissan dealer flush my tranny. Before I forget to mention it, if anyone in the Orlando area needs dealer service, take it to Bill Ray Nissan and have them get Andy to work on your truck. Tell Andy that Brian The Speedworld Photo guy sent you and he will do his best to put his 16 years of expertise to work on your truck.

Now to the meat of the matter. I had noticed a bit of sloppy and slap shifting lately and figured with 30000 on the truck and driving it like it was rented, it was due for some new tranny fluid. They put some detergent and 12 quarts of the Matic J in there and man what a difference. She shifts smooth now baby and not as much hunting for the gear under WOT. I put this under performance mods because that's what it ended up being, lol.
I wanted to try the Amsoil ATF but I did not want cross contamination with whatever other fluid was in their machine last and I wanted a Nissan receipt just in case something went wrong.

A funny thing happened while I was there. I always drive around with the track numbers on my truck and I still have the Night of Fire pit pass sticker on my front window so it's no mystery I drag race the truck. I also have about 5 lbs of rubber built up in the wheel wells so that's a dead give away right there. I pull into the staging lanes......uh service lane, lol and the service guy asks me what the trouble is and I say the tranny is slap down shifting and hunting for gears sometimes, not bad but noticeable. He asks me if I tow anything and I say never and he asks me if I race it and I say that not only do I race regularly at the strip, but I drive it like it was rented every single day, lol. He laughs about it and calls one of the service techs out and asks him if he recognizes the truck. he says no and then he says to imagine it with the factory hood and the tech says "Oh yeah, I remember you from the drag strip". We all laughed about it and then they told me a story.

They tell me about a 350Z they saw at the strip one night and took pictures of the window sticker and the license plate just because they thought it was funny somebody was racing a brand new car. the very next day the car comes in on a hook with a burnt out clutch and the tech remembers it from the track. They ask the kid if he was racing it and he says no and they asked him if he had ever gone out to Speedworld with it and again he denies it. They asked him if anyone else drove his car and again they got an emphatic no. He said he was just pulling onto the highway shifting gently and the the thing stopped going for no reason.
The tech called the sales guy with the photos he took with his cell and the salesman asked the kid if he recognizes the window sticker from his car at Speedworld. The kid gets all defensive and says it coulda been antibody's car. The salesman then shows him the picture of his license plate and his car very clearly in the staging lanes at Speedworld and the kids story changes really quickly, lol.
Moral of the story, find a dealer that will put up with some warranty claims as long as you know how to drive and do your regular maintenance.
Now go flush that tranny and I'll see you at the races.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
92,554 Posts
:lol: Caught red-handed! :lol: Nice.... Yeah, I guess if you're thrashing it at the track, it's good to take care of the tranny flush... Normal day to day driving it's 60k, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackbeauty said:
:lol: Caught red-handed! :lol: Nice.... Yeah, I guess if you're thrashing it at the track, it's good to take care of the tranny flush... Normal day to day driving it's 60k, right?
Judging from the look of mine, reddish brown, you may want to consider changing it a bit earlier. Even though my radiator fluid looks like new I am going to change that also. My truck is a keeper so I am going to be cautious about how long I leave fluids in there and since chemical changes occur over the life of fluids, I will change mine a little early. I think in the case of the tranny fluid that everyone should go ahead and do flushes and not mess around with the half change drain and fill and they all call for the drain and fill at 30000. Merry Christmas man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,900 Posts
good info there, papa. :cheers:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
Do you think that the flush is necessary? I have always drained and filled my other cars on my own in the driveway. I have yet to change the trannie fluid in the titan as it is only at 42,000 but hearing this i might reconsider. How much does the flush cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
roy365 said:
I get my tranny fluid drained every 20-30k miles. Mine's a keeper as well, and the tranny is something i reallllllly dont want to tear up. But i admit i am anal on PM'ing my truck. My dealer recommends every 40k.
I'd say that 25000 is about right if you drive hard or tow and I think 40k is too long but you could go by fluid color and driveability I suppose. I noticed degradation in driveabilty at about 23000 and then when I put the cams on it accentuated the problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
Overide said:
Do you think that the flush is necessary? I have always drained and filled my other cars on my own in the driveway. I have yet to change the trannie fluid in the titan as it is only at 42,000 but hearing this i might reconsider. How much does the flush cost?
hey papa wheres the love?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Overide said:
hey papa wheres the love?
Sorry man, didn't see your post. I would never intentionally ignore anyone. I thought a lot about it and for 100 they would have changed 5 quarts for 200 they flushed it and I got to meet a Nissan tech of 16 years that goes to the same track I do and we talked for two hours after the truck was done and became friends. Best 200 dollars I ever spent, lol. A lot of guys do the drain and fills and seem to have good luck with that but I wanted a full flush at the dealer so if I had a problem with the tranny it would be on record. I would certainly do the drain and fill at a minimum and I saw the matic J at one of the sponser sites for about 7.00 a qt. My dealer wanted 11.00 a qt. BTW the guy that did mine said he had never had a problem with a flush on a Nissan for what it's worth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,373 Posts
While on vacation near Wilmington, NC, I needed a couple things done. The Dealer in Wilmington initiated my new TPMS for free, and had it done in less than 10 minutes from when I walked in. My dealer back home had said if I ever needed it done after the first one, that i'd have to pay! Very pleased with service here in Wilmington. Don't recall name of dealer, but there is only one.

I had the BG Tranny Flush which they said is better than the J Matic fluid. My dealer in Annapolis also uses the BG Machine. The cost here was $159. I was right at 29,500 miles. BG warranties the Trans for 150,000 if you do it every 30K, and I certainly will. I was out the door in about 45 minutes, could not have been any better experience than what I had.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Papa_D said:
I'd say that 25000 is about right if you drive hard or tow and I think 40k is too long but you could go by fluid color and driveability I suppose. I noticed degradation in driveabilty at about 23000 and then when I put the cams on it accentuated the problem.
that was my thinking, after the cam install i'm not going over 30k for a service.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
Papa_D said:
Sorry man, didn't see your post. I would never intentionally ignore anyone. I thought a lot about it and for 100 they would have changed 5 quarts for 200 they flushed it and I got to meet a Nissan tech of 16 years that goes to the same track I do and we talked for two hours after the truck was done and became friends. Best 200 dollars I ever spent, lol. A lot of guys do the drain and fills and seem to have good luck with that but I wanted a full flush at the dealer so if I had a problem with the tranny it would be on record. I would certainly do the drain and fill at a minimum and I saw the matic J at one of the sponser sites for about 7.00 a qt. My dealer wanted 11.00 a qt. BTW the guy that did mine said he had never had a problem with a flush on a Nissan for what it's worth.
Thanks for the info, I was just ragging ya a bit lol. Sarcasm just doesnt come across on the internet.....
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top