Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beats me but this covid thing sure seems like one heckuva economic hit. In my lifetime, I can't think of anything that 'should' be this severe. I bought my Titan in September 2008 and that was after the crash that started "the great recession" and I got an incredible deal on my truck. Has anyone heard... are dealers (any brand) selling such that fantastic deals are to be had? I just have not been able to pull the trigger on a new truck! Actually, what I'd like to have is a 3/4 ton because I need to pull a camper trailer. I guess Nissan does not have 3/4 ton. I look forward to your news if you have any!

·
Registered
363 Posts
They don’t have much inventory to sell. So I suspect deals aren’t at their best yet until dealership lots fill up. Not sure you can even get a Titan PR yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don’t have much inventory to sell. So I suspect deals aren’t at their best yet until dealership lots fill up. Not sure you can even get a Titan PR yet.
Why would dealership lots fill up if they are not full now? Why would they order in an economic disaster? (I am ignorant of how the biz works.) And if they are not full now, that implies that they sold a lot of the trucks they had when the covid started.

Plus, what is Titan PR? I see mention of a 2020 Titan Pro-4x, which I was not aware of. Is that the 'new Titan?'

When I bought my new 2008 Titan, sticker price was $30,500 and I paid $18,500. Yep, you read that right.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What size travel trailer are you towing? Nissan does offer the Titan XD that everyone raves about towing with, but it doesn't have the capability of a 3/4 ton.

As far as the pandemic, many of the manufacturers were shut down for a period of time. During that period of no production, people were still buying, which is why inventory could be low. However, that's not the case with all manufacturers. Hyundai, for example, ramped up production at the start of the pandemic to prepare.

All that being said, when you purchase a full size truck from any brand, you should be able to negotiate a solid chunk off of the MSRP at any time. Trucks have huge margins - especially the ones with a lot of options. However, the days of purchasing one for $18,500 are long gone. MSRPs for trucks are very high and finding a base model on a lot is near impossible. They want to upsell you.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why would dealership lots fill up if they are not full now? Why would they order in an economic disaster? (I am ignorant of how the biz works.) And if they are not full now, that implies that they sold a lot of the trucks they had when the covid started.

Plus, what is Titan PR? I see mention of a 2020 Titan Pro-4x, which I was not aware of. Is that the 'new Titan?'

When I bought my new 2008 Titan, sticker price was $30,500 and I paid $18,500. Yep, you read that right.
Some may not, but they also have sales numbers the manufacturer wants them to meet regardless of the situation. Also, an empty lot doesn’t look to promising to a perspective buyer. Crazy premise, I know, but it is true. The dealership would also like to stay in business. If they have the car on the lot, then they have a better chance to sell something versus their nearest competitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, you guys think they're still selling trucks? In the fall of 2008, the reason I got a $30,500 list price truck for $18,500 is because they could not sell them! We are in the midst of what many say is the worst economic disaster of our lifetimes and it's hard to fathom how it could not be that way. People are still buying $60k - $70k trucks? If so, I am surprised. It could also be that true calamity has not hit yet. And, obviously, it could also be that the economic woes or buyer's perceptions are not as bad as one would think.

EDIT: I found some articles on sales numbers. Here is a recent one. The numbers it reports are, truly, dismal, but truck sales are better than cars. I suspect that the difference between now and fall of 2008 is that in 2008, dealer's inventories were full and not moving. Since then we have had 12 years of booming truck sales. And booming truck prices! Prices are just so dang high!

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
357 Posts
Nissan paid off our 2018 ford and took a fee grand off the window price to get us into the titan we just got. Its used but boy did they bend over backward to sell it. Ford and toyota didnt try to do anything to get to what we were willing to pay but nissan did everything they could to get us into this truck my wife loved as soon as she saw it.

So its ours now, and i love driving it around. Its like a Cadillac compared to my first gen frontier and has every single thing, plus many more, compared to my wife's titanium ford escape that we traded in.

We lost the automatic parking though, the titan doesn't have that, ha ha ha. That was more of a novelty though. I only used it if someone had never seen it and wanted to see a car park itself. It felt to weird to use normally

·
Premium Member
70,133 Posts
I drove out the door in 08 with my Pro4X for $28000 total. Sticker was $37900. I was and still am a happy owner. (Except the crappy Red Alert paint.) They weren't selling anything at that time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased m
What size travel trailer are you towing? Nissan does offer the Titan XD that everyone raves about towing with, but it doesn't have the capability of a 3/4 ton.

As far as the pandemic, many of the manufacturers were shut down for a period of time. During that period of no production, people were still buying, which is why inventory could be low. However, that's not the case with all manufacturers. Hyundai, for example, ramped up production at the start of the pandemic to prepare.

All that being said, when you purchase a full size truck from any brand, you should be able to negotiate a solid chunk off of the MSRP at any time. Trucks have huge margins - especially the ones with a lot of options. However, the days of purchasing one for $18,500 are long gone. MSRPs for trucks are very high and finding a base model on a lot is near impossible. They want to upsell you.
I purchased my 2017 Titan King Cab SV last year. It was a Certified used truck. The original window sticker stated 43,000. I paid 21900, with 11,000 miles on the ODO. I am no expert, but, there should still be some great deals out there. If I was in the market, I would also shop for Certified Used. It has worked for me. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts