Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone out there ever buy a brand new Titan knowing the warranty is null and void except in the USA?

I have a chance to buy an '08 Pro4x CC, loaded with everything except dvd for $35353US.

At home in Canada, it goes for around $50000.

I understand I can take the truck back into the US for any warranty work (closest dealer is 6hours away).

Is there anything that is common that goes wrong with new Titans?

To me I would have to look at the purchase in a similar way to buying a used one where the warranty is expired.

Am I crazy? I think it's a great deal, but don't want to do something stupid.

Thoughts anyone???

·
Registered
686 Posts
Is the 35k including tax and fees? It seams like some people are getting some pretty good deals right now on the 08 Pro4Xs with the available rebates so 35k sounds about avg depending on what fully loaded packages you add.

What would your tax and fees be if you bought from the US and drove it home across the border? Why does Canada not offer any warranty?

Driving 12hours for warranty work does not sound like something I would do personally.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
You have Nissan dealers in Canada...No??

They should honor the warranty!!

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Oh, and Welcome to TitanTalk!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
For the 15K savings, I would go for it. $15000 pays for mucho warranty work!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It'll end up being $39210 after taxes plus around $600 in extra expenses. Again, back home, it's $52000 plus 11% = $57720

Nissan Canada obviously does not want me to buy in the US!

How much warranty work is usually used up in the first 3 yrs of ownership?

FourDoor said:
Is the 35k including tax and fees? It seams like some people are getting some pretty good deals right now on the 08 Pro4Xs with the available rebates so 35k sounds about avg depending on what fully loaded packages you add.

What would your tax and fees be if you bought from the US and drove it home across the border? Why does Canada not offer any warranty?

Driving 12hours for warranty work does not sound like something I would do personally.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I'm sure the trucks warranty would somehow still be in effect regardless of where it was purchased. If I bought my truck here and then moved to Canada, I find it hard to believe my warranty stays in the US....especially since the same truck is sold and serviced in Canada.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In order for the warranty to be valid, the vehicle must be registered in the US for at least 6mos.

For all you '05 owners out there, how much warranty work have you had done since new?

HudsonValleyTitan said:
I'm sure the trucks warranty would somehow still be in effect regardless of where it was purchased. If I bought my truck here and then moved to Canada, I find it hard to believe my warranty stays in the US....especially since the same truck is sold and serviced in Canada.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Can you register it in the US for six month at a relatives or friends and then transfer it to canada?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I don't have a Titan...yet!!! getting closer!

You have a great forum here- 'been fun learning about the best truck around! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
My 2005 will be three years old in February, has 51,000 on the clock and other than the brake fix is perfect.

Clint

·
Registered
579 Posts
Are you taking into account that your truck (purchased in the US) needs Day time running lights as well as the speedometer and odometer in kilometers.

Regarding warranty coverage - I would check with both Nissan USA and Nissan Canada before purchasing.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
hunter said:
Are you taking into account that your truck (purchased in the US) needs Day time running lights as well as the speedometer and odometer in kilometers.

Regarding warranty coverage - I would check with both Nissan USA and Nissan Canada before purchasing.
Doesn't our truck have k/ph under m/ph so that would keep you legal on speed limits. I bet with the obdII machine they can change the readout on the odometer, then again I could be wrong....

Clint

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aquaholic said:
Can you register it in the US for six month at a relatives or friends and then transfer it to canada?

How would that work? Would my buddy have to pay sales tax on the $35Grand?

Would I be able to drive "his" truck (really mine) for the six mos, or do I have to leave it there for the 6 mos (I'd rather die)

I thought of this scenario, so if anyone has any ideas of how I can drive my truck in Canada for 6 mos, then transfer "ownership" to me after to retain warranty, let me know!!!:gunz:

·
Registered
23 Posts
ryancoke said:
Would anyone out there ever buy a brand new Titan knowing the warranty is null and void except in the USA?

I have a chance to buy an '08 Pro4x CC, loaded with everything except dvd for $35353US.

At home in Canada, it goes for around $50000.

I understand I can take the truck back into the US for any warranty work (closest dealer is 6hours away).

Is there anything that is common that goes wrong with new Titans?

To me I would have to look at the purchase in a similar way to buying a used one where the warranty is expired.

Am I crazy? I think it's a great deal, but don't want to do something stupid.

Thoughts anyone???
i live in Canada as well and i imported a Toyota Scion Xb for my wife last year. when i was doing the research last year all manufactures were forced to honor the warranty in canada or the us. i have had the scion to a toyota dealership and all work was completed under warranty. in order to void your warranty you need to do both of the following. import new vehicle into new country and resell vehicle with in 6 months. i bought a 2006 titan in canada and if i were to buy a new one today i would goto the us and pick it up. chevy and gmc are trying to make it hard to do as all dealers close to the boarder are not allowed to sell to canadians. i have also read that us dealers can not get the rebates if selling to canadians so use a us address for your purchase. this site had all the info i needed.

riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

i do not have enough posts for links. just put import "car to canada" in google and it will be there.

all you pay at the border is the gst and pst (if applicable) some a/c taxes and tire tax. you then need to hook up daytime running lights and get a check done at canadian tire. its oll on the site i posted. if you have more questions please ask. i talked to a sales manager at my nissan dealership and nissan canadas official stand is no plans in the near future to lower canadian prices inline with the us. very sad nissan canada.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
ryancoke said:
For all you '05 owners out there, how much warranty work have you had done since new?
Brake Fix
Paint Fix (when new, wierd round dull spot in paint, buffed out by dealer)
Front Wheel Bearing
Both Rear Axle Seals
Replaced center cupholder (bench seat, i broke it crawling across seat)
Torn CV boot

42,000 miles

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
maxpower929 said:
i live in Canada as well and i imported a Toyota Scion Xb for my wife last year. when i was doing the research last year all manufactures were forced to honor the warranty in canada or the us. i have had the scion to a toyota dealership and all work was completed under warranty. in order to void your warranty you need to do both of the following. import new vehicle into new country and resell vehicle with in 6 months. i bought a 2006 titan in canada and if i were to buy a new one today i would goto the us and pick it up. chevy and gmc are trying to make it hard to do as all dealers close to the boarder are not allowed to sell to canadians. i have also read that us dealers can not get the rebates if selling to canadians so use a us address for your purchase. this site had all the info i needed.

riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

i do not have enough posts for links. just put import "car to canada" in google and it will be there.

all you pay at the border is the gst and pst (if applicable) some a/c taxes and tire tax. you then need to hook up daytime running lights and get a check done at canadian tire. its oll on the site i posted. if you have more questions please ask. i talked to a sales manager at my nissan dealership and nissan canadas official stand is no plans in the near future to lower canadian prices inline with the us. very sad nissan canada.

Thanks.

I am aware of the process in bringing it back, but Nissan stance now is that it must be registered in the US (even for just one day) and then warranty is fine on both sides of the border- again you must keep the vehicle for at least 6 mos.

I am now looking at setting up a LLC corp in Montana, where I could hopefully register the Titan in the Corporation's name and bring it back that way. Again still looking for loopholes!!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Clint said:
My 2005 will be three years old in February, has 51,000 on the clock and other than the brake fix is perfect.

Clint
i have exact same amount only an SE and nothing but the brake though i have only had it 10k miles. it is still as tight as when i test drive new ones. awasome truck. but i got an extended warranty and it helps me sleep at night.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
My 05 rear failed at 12k miles, other than that nothing really has been wrong with it. I brought it in a couple times for small things, that I would not have brought it in for if it had not been very convenient. It has 40k miles now and is great.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just brought an 05 across. My local dealer won't touch it so I have to go to the next nearest one. NIssan canada is threatening my dealer with sanctions and they are currently in a battle over who pays for warranty work on an imported titan. White rock nissan will work on it as they sell imported vehicles. btw only running lights required to be added. NOT odemeter or speedometer as speedometer has kilometers on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts