Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've got mine on and it was a PITA. I did have to clean the tube out because it was nasty. I used a big wire tie to secure the bottom cap on because it fell off during installation so I didn't figure it would stay on otherwise. The two smaller hoses should have come with clamps but they just slide on. I'm going to get two tommorow for those. It comes with the one stud and nut and another bolt. It should have come with two studs and 4 nuts because the box doesn't fit perfect and you have to move it around some to get the bolt to fit so the box can be secured. The top mount for the stock box gets in the way really bad and you really have to work to get the box in there. The instructions are horrible. The big gasket that goes against the side of the truck is about an inch too short and the hole doesn't line up exactly with the truck. That being said, I finally got it installed and tried it out and let me say that the butt dyno was happy. I was suprised at the difference that could be felt when I got on the gas, so there is a big improvement. I didn't think it was any louder until I got on the gas and then it was a lot louder and it sounds good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Clean engine bay you got there. Intake looks great, I'll be ordering one here shortly.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Mine should be in later this week along with my banks exhaust. I cant wait!!!!

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
roy365 said:
It looks like it needs some dirt or something.......too clean compared to the rest!
He just needs to get the CAI and engine cover dirty to match.:lol:

Very nice mod:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
I do like it, how much did it cost? also I like the bull bar on your truck, thats the one I'm getting for mine

·
Premium Member
31,979 Posts
It might just be because I was dropped on my head while I was eating paint chips as a child, But the mud on the engine kind of looks like camouflage at a quick glance.:dunno:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, yeah I'm going to eventually clean it out, sometime. I can't remember the exact price but I think it was around 280-290. Now that I've got it on with my new exhaust, I can really tell a difference when I get on the gas not to mention it sounds really good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
good mod bro!!!Good to see tenn titan !

Getting ready for the uprev mod and then i am done with it. To much money in this sh t!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey scr4usarmy,

I have ordered my Volant CAI with the PowerCore filter. I read the instructions Volant have available on-line and have to agree with you they are not that great. A picture or 2 from them detailing the location of certain items would certainly help. If you have any further tips before I tackle this it would be much appreciated, like what size clamps you needed to buy, bolt/nut size you thought they should have added, and other parts you think a person should have on hand before starting. This way perhaps as a group a complete list could be compiled and made avialable to other TT members. I am very concerned about the side intake gasket not fitting well as IMHO this is one of the most critical joints to truly make it a CAI. Any ideas how to mod this to make it long enough and secure.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I did have to clean the tube out because it was nasty.

I used a big wire tie to secure the bottom cap on because it fell off during installation so I didn't figure it would stay on otherwise.
That doesn't sound to reassuring. What cap is this that you are talking about. I am thinking about picking up the Volant as well.

Also what was in the tubes that needed to be cleaned out?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine didn't actually come with instructions, it is more of a parts diagram.

First off the box is really hard to get to fit. Remove the two front engine cover bolts and then pull the engine cover off being careful not to break the two posts that hold it in the back.

Remove the stock intake tube and just unhook the connection to the maf sensor and leave it in the tube for now.

Remove the bolt at the top of the stock air box that attaches to the brack booster (think that is what it is). Remove the the other below the filter. There is a third is directly behind the washer resevoir. Pull the stock box up firmly and the bolt will slip through the box and you can remove the bolt.

Make sure to clean the inside of the box out really well. Mine was pretty dirty. Put the thicker gasket with the new intake around the side hole that lines up with hole in the truck and put the thinner gasket around the opposite side hole that the intake tube comes out of. Make sure they don't come off when installing. My larger gasket was short about 1/2" that both ends didn't meet. Don't know if that was intentional or not.

There is a hole in the bottom of the intake to attach things like a ram air tube to. It comes with a cap for this. I put a large wire tie around this because it kept coming off while I was trying to install it.

According to the paper it is an 8mm stud and it is supposed to go in the hole closest to the washer resevoir. Then the rubber bushing goes on top of it and under the intake box with the large opening down. I would get one more stud like that and three more nuts and washers and another rubber bushing because it only comes with one and there is room under the second hole for another. I would put the stud in a few threads and then put a nut on it, then the bushing. The box goes on top of that and then a washer, lock washer and another nut. The bolt that it comes with for the second hole isn't really long enough. I actually had to bend the top bracket that the stock box was bolted to so that the box would fit. The hole that matches up from the box to the fender doesn't line up exactly and volant told me when I called that it wouldn't but me and a few others have contacted them over the fitment. It still seals though.

There is a rubber reducer that goes over the throttle body. Put it on and put the supplied clamp on it.

Take out the maf sensor from the stock intake tube. Be very careful and don't hit it or get anything on it or anything else, (very very delicate). Make extra sure to pay close attention on how it comes out, it has to go in the new tube the same way. Pay attention and put the new gasket for the maf sensor on it and then put the sensor in the new tube and mark the holes. Drill the holes with a drill bit that is smaller than the supplied screws. Now make sure and clean the intake tube out really well because it was filthy. Put the maf sensor in the tube with the gasket using the supplied screws. If it isn't put back in right, the truck will now run right.

Put the larger end of the tube in the box and connect the other end to the reducer that is attached to the throttle body and tighten it with the supplied clamp.

Attach the big end of the tube to the filter and tighten the clamp around them. Make sure that the rubber boot on the filter fills up the hole in the box and the clamp goes on the outside of the box.

It comes with two 5/8" breather hoses and straight fittings. You could either use wire ties or hose clamps to put on these. If you want to add this, you will need to get four. Hook up the maf sensor now.

I don't think I forgot anything. I didn't take any pics when I did the install but I will try to take a few tommorow of what I can without removing anything.

·
Registered
674 Posts
src4usarmy said:
Ok, I've got mine on and it was a PITA. I did have to clean the tube out because it was nasty. I used a big wire tie to secure the bottom cap on because it fell off during installation so I didn't figure it would stay on otherwise. The two smaller hoses should have come with clamps but they just slide on. I'm going to get two tommorow for those. It comes with the one stud and nut and another bolt. It should have come with two studs and 4 nuts because the box doesn't fit perfect and you have to move it around some to get the bolt to fit so the box can be secured. The top mount for the stock box gets in the way really bad and you really have to work to get the box in there. The instructions are horrible. The big gasket that goes against the side of the truck is about an inch too short and the hole doesn't line up exactly with the truck. That being said, I finally got it installed and tried it out and let me say that the butt dyno was happy. I was suprised at the difference that could be felt when I got on the gas, so there is a big improvement. I didn't think it was any louder until I got on the gas and then it was a lot louder and it sounds good.
I installed my AEM tonight....very easy, all bolts aligned perfectly, very smooth. 30 minutes, from start to finish

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
I didnt have any issues installing mine. Everything lines up good and secure. I will say that there are probably other units that are easier to install. I might switch to the new power core filter if i can. The whole clean/rinse/oil/wait thing is a bit much, especially when it's a crapshoot on the oil amount.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
roy365 said:
I didnt have any issues installing mine. Everything lines up good and secure. I will say that there are probably other units that are easier to install. I might switch to the new power core filter if i can. The whole clean/rinse/oil/wait thing is a bit much, especially when it's a crapshoot on the oil amount.
The new box is different then the old one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Personally, I would not switch to the new filter. The flow of air is not very good due to it ONLY being able to pull air from the front side of the filter instead of from all the way around the filter.

I installed the powercore on my truck this past tuesday and it came off the next day. There were quite a few installation problems and I even have a picture of where a piece of plastic was sucked in toward the throttle body plate and melted.

The fact that you have to drill and tap your own holes for this thing leaves too big of a margin for error and for a directional MAF sensor, this could render the tube completely useless if one was careless when putting the maf sensor in.

For the many many people here that do not know me, I have bought and dyno tested and timed almost every intake, exhaust and set of headers made for the titan. I just have never posted here much, the majority of my posting was at other places in the past.

If anyone wants pics of all my installation issues, email me.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
shailey said:
Personally, I would not switch to the new filter. The flow of air is not very good due to it ONLY being able to pull air from the front side of the filter instead of from all the way around the filter.

I installed the powercore on my truck this past tuesday and it came off the next day. There were quite a few installation problems and I even have a picture of where a piece of plastic was sucked in toward the throttle body plate and melted.

The fact that you have to drill and tap your own holes for this thing leaves too big of a margin for error and for a directional MAF sensor, this could render the tube completely useless if one was careless when putting the maf sensor in.

For the many many people here that do not know me, I have bought and dyno tested and timed almost every intake, exhaust and set of headers made for the titan. I just have never posted here much, the majority of my posting was at other places in the past.

If anyone wants pics of all my installation issues, email me.
Thanks for the info.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts