Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya`ll. Just joined the forum and I have a newbie question for you. I just bought my 2010 Titan LE crew cab 4x4 and then bought a 15 ft ultra light TT. It seems to pull ok on the straight-aways but going up a long hill I have to shift it down to 3rd or even 2nd to keep it going 45 or 50mph. And it really seems to struggle. Even though it`s an LE it still has the towing package (tow mode, manuel shifting,receiver hitch and electric set-up). The trailer is only 3500 lbs fully loaded. Is this normal for the titan. Every body else I talk to says that a 1/2 ton p/u with a 5.6 V8 should tow it like it`s not even there. Am I just expecting too much from the truck.

·
Super Moderator
161,875 Posts
The fact that you have to downshift isn't surprising, but with a 3500 pound trailer it shouldn't struggle as you make is sound like it does. My '06 LE with BT doesn't struggle in that way pulling the 29 foot, ~6500 lb. trailer you see in my sig. Something doesn't seem quite right.

·
Premium Member
58,760 Posts
Are you sure you have the big tow package? I'm pretty sure, tow mode, manual shifting, receiver hitch, and electric set-up are standard on 2010 LE Titans.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Its hard to say if its normal or not without being there. It depends on how steep the hill is & the altitude. You lose a lot of power at higher altitudes since the air is thinner. When people say a truck will pull something "like its not even there," they're full of crap. You can feel a 3000lb trailer behind a 1 ton dually diesel if you know how it drives unloaded.

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
I've had a little over 6k behind me going up mountain passes through Washington, Idaho, and Montana, I left it in tow mode and just hit the gas, I could maintain 70 uphill, granted I was around 4500rpm when doing so, but I could easily accelerate if I needed to as well. I don't think you should have that much trouble though. Quartz might be onto something. Do you have your window sticker? That should say whether tow or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the truck used so I don`t have the factory sticker for it ( I didn`t even get an owners manuel or a remote for the keyless entry). What is the difference between the "big tow package" and the standard package?

·
Premium Member
72,324 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I don't see any BT mirrors...does ur center console have a button u press in that says "tow mode"??? If it doesn't then u do not have big tow package

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
The main difference is gears, I don't remember the big tow ratio, someone will jump in shortly though and let you know how to find it as well. But that little trailer should be a breeze to tow, uphills should be quite easy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Gearing might make a slight difference, but non big tow shouldn't really matter. Engine has the same HP and torque and should not be dropping into 2nd on a "normal" hill. 6% mountain grades over 2 miles long, maybe.

·
Premium Member
72,324 Posts
I'd do the air box mod, reset the ECM, and do some full throttle runs. Sounds like it's in granny mode. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
It doest seem like you have the big tow package (no tow mirrors). Do you have a transmission temperature guage? But like others have said, the gears are the main difference between big tow and no tow package. All titans have a tow mode button. Anyway, I don't think you should be struggling with that weight regardless of whether or not you have the tow package. Remember that the Titan loves the revs, so don't be afraid to get it up into the powerband while towing. If you are even struggling at higher rpm, then I would definitely take it into the dealership to get looked at. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pass I`m talking about is St Augustine Pass between Alamogordo Nm and Las Cruces NM. I`m not sure what the grade is but its a pretty long and steep climb. Thanks for all your responses. I think since I`m not used to towing I`m being paranoid and a little over critical.The temp gauge never went above the half way mark and it was 100+ outside and about freezing inside (according to my wife`s Internal temp gauge....love that over-powering A/C!!!)And to answer your question yes I have the tow mode button. does that mean I have the Big tow package???

·
Premium Member
77,863 Posts
Most likely you have the 2.94 gears, or the non-big tow. The mirrors are a dead give away. The "tow mode" is in both packages.

The outside temp and your use of the a/c and the altitude all affect the output of the motor. In this case, all for the negative.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I really can not see why your truck would be struggling to pull that load. I pull at least that much weight in wheelers and bikes each time we go out to Little Saharra desert up some pretty steep grades on 35/12.5/20 with a 7" lift and it doesnt even hesitate.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
The main difference is gears, I don't remember the big tow ratio, someone will jump in shortly though and let you know how to find it as well. But that little trailer should be a breeze to tow, uphills should be quite easy.
Big tow- 3.36
Non-bt- 2.94

OP- I got money that says you don't have the tow package. I pull a 20' cargo trailer full of sh*t all the time. Loaded to about 6500lbs. The T handles it like a dream

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Didn't see this posted: there is a sticker with the axle ratio on the rear diff. Check it and see if its 2.94 or 3.36

·
Registered
33 Posts
i pull a 30ft trVEL trAILER W/ MY CC LE BIG TOW IN TOWMODE AND 4TH GEARMY TRAILER IS 6800LBS DRY AND WE ALWAYS HAVE SH*T IN IT SO IM GUESSING PUSHING 7500LBS PLUS MY TRUCK BED FULL BED FULL OF SH*T IF I HIT HILLS AND NEED MORE POWER I DOWNSHIFT TO 3RD AND SHELL PULL UP TO 75 PLUS MPH IF I LET HER ALL STOCK NO MODS

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
i pull a 30ft trVEL trAILER W/ MY CC LE BIG TOW IN TOWMODE AND 4TH GEARMY TRAILER IS 6800LBS DRY AND WE ALWAYS HAVE SH*T IN IT SO IM GUESSING PUSHING 7500LBS PLUS MY TRUCK BED FULL BED FULL OF SH*T IF I HIT HILLS AND NEED MORE POWER I DOWNSHIFT TO 3RD AND SHELL PULL UP TO 75 PLUS MPH IF I LET HER ALL STOCK NO MODS
Attack of the caps lock...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts