Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new truck came with a small but heavy box. The dealer didn't open the box or even mention it. When I got home I opened it up and found what look to be the utility bed cleats.

What I can't figure out is there are 4 smaller pieces with a bolt on one end and a matching wrench. Is for the track in the truck bed? If so, how do you attach anything to them?

Second, where do people store them? I can't use under the rear seat because I have 3 car seats (yep, the truck has to pull double duty as a kid hauler) and removing the seats each time I want to get access to the cleats is a pain. Is the outside bed utility compartment ok? I'm concerned the cleats will exceed the 25lb limit and bust out the door and go boucning down the road never to be seen again.

If I leave them in the tracks will they rust? I'm wonder how safe they are there. Seems like this would something someone would want to "borrow" (along with the tailgate).

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
If you have the utility box on the side, most put them there.
Or, you could leave the attached to the tracks in the bed.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
First off, yes, they are for the Utili-Trac rails in the bed. The tiedowns should be obvious. The small pieces are end stops. You put them in the end of the trac to keep the cleats and anything else from sliding out the end. I keep mine attached to the trac, but then, I have a tonneau cover and the tailgate is locked (always lock your tailgate so it doesn't walk off. This is an issue with pickups.). I highly recommend you get some sort of tonneau cover, no matter what kind it is. Out of sight, out of mind. If the slimy bastids don't see what's in your truck bed, they won't be tempted.

You can stow them in the rear fender storage area. I put things in ziplock bags and then put them in there because it doesn't perfectly seal and I don't want my bungies and tiedowns to get all crusty from road grime. Just don't put them all in the same bag or all on the one shelf. Split them up to distribute the weight a bit.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the small pieces lock at the ends of the tracks. I assume they are tightend down so they don't come out. Should I have gotten some sort of documentation about the Util-track system?

Once I get my truck cap I plan to leave them in all the time.

·
Registered
396 Posts
BB told you right. I leave mine in the track along with the bed extender and keep the tailgate locked. I may pay for this someday but so far I've been Lucky. Knock on wood.

·
Premium Member
75,175 Posts
the guys above steered your in the right direction. i keep mine in the side box when not in use with a few pairs of gloves. I only have one kid seat in the middle but I bought a tool bag @ harbor frieght to keep my straps and bungees in. it fits under the seat with no issues completely full. i also have a tool box under the seat for tools and the stops & wrench for the utilitrack.

had the truck since december 04 and the cleats haven't flown out yet..

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
This is what's in the box

·
Registered
250 Posts
if you look at the brochure for the titans it shows those cleets in the storage comp. on the side of the bed so im pretty sure it will hold the weight but im with BB keep them covered in bags or something to keep grime off of them but im also with P's titan if you dont need them keep them at home until you do no since really in them being on the truck exposed for someone to steal if you are not using them

·
Super Moderator
161,009 Posts
I have used mine on way too many occasions to count. I keep them in that box, under the passenger seat. I keep the ratchet straps and bungees in the bed side utility box. I keep (usually) a couple of cheapo zipped up picnic kind of blankets under the rear seat for padding items while transporting them. Always ready to go that way.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought a 3-pack of small canvas tool bags at Lowes.

I put bungees in one, the cleats and ratchet straps in another, and a maintenance compressor/light/battery charger in the other.

I can shove them under the rear seats and they don't slide around. You never know when you will need to tie something down.

In my rear outer compartment I keep my trailer hitch and a tow rope.

Only had to pull out one car so far - but ya gotta be prepared eh?

·
Premium Member
75,175 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I keep mine right on the rails but I do have a tonno cover so they're out of sight.
No, they can't rust because they're aluminium.
i'm watching the spring & hardware behind for corrosion, i've left mine out a few times as well as my bed extender. since i added a hole to the bed extender brackets so it could bolt to my overhead racks as needed i've noticed a bit of rust there as well, nothing some elbow grease, a wire brush and krylon can't fix though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really do need to know what's in the box, because... well, I didn't get mine!

A few weeks ago I took home my brand new 2008 SE, with tow package.

Naturally, I made sure it had the utili-track system (such a great idea!), but I didn't think to look for the tie-down cleats before I left. Evidently the make-ready people didn't think to check either, because they are nowhere to be found.

So no sweat, I called up my salesman and told him what was going on, so he is ordering me a set.

But that has me wondering, is there anything else I didn't get but should have?

I got my owners manual of course, along with its painfully boring DVD counterpart (I was bored...). I got a maintenance guide, a quick reference thingy, and some other things - so I'm pretty sure I have all the paper stuff.

But what else, besides the cleats? Does the tow pkg come with a ball mount? Trailer wiring adapters? Anything like that?

This is my first post here, though I've been reading for a while. I tried searching, but couldn't find what I was looking for. This seemed an appropriate enough thread. So hello everyone, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a brake harness with mine. I expected a hitch cover but didn't get one. I did with the Honda so I assumed it was standard. Since then I found it as an accessory.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts