Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Several spy photos have turned up the next gen Titan being tested at various locations in Colorado. With our steep mountain passes, high altitude and rugged terrain, Colorado might be just the place to test the new drivetrain. Interestingly enough, I saw another white Titan test mule today heading east over Floyd Hill (just west of Denver). Coming up from behind in our G37xS, it looked similar to the one in this photo, except it had an all white bed and graphics on the door which stated it was the property of "Cummins Corporation". Otherwise, it resembled a poorly modded and shaved Titan until you got a look at that nose!

I passed it shortly after the turnoff to Central City and going up a hill, before recognizing the zig-zag camouflage graphics. The truck seemed to quickly lost steam as the hill steepened. The driver quickly shifted two lanes to the right, but the truck didn't look like it was struggling (no apparent smoke or exhaust noise), so he might have noticed me studying it. The truck quickly fell back, so I hope the 2.8L diesel just throttled back to keep the curious from getting too good a look.

One thing after getting a close look at that front end. The headlights looked out of proportion to the rest of the Titan, but were the type of sculpted units that have been appearing on several of the newer Nissans for awhile now. The hoodline was clearly taller than our current gen Titans, so either it has one huge radiator (or intercooler?) or just a good disguise. Looking at it in my rearview mirror, I couldn't help but think it looked like a one-ton truck with a half-ton cab and rear bed section.

·
Super Moderator
160,695 Posts
Mmmmm. Diesel. Nice spotting. :)

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts

Several spy photos have turned up the next gen Titan being tested at various locations in Colorado. With our steep mountain passes, high altitude and rugged terrain, Colorado might be just the place to test the new drivetrain. Interestingly enough, I saw another white Titan test mule today heading east over Floyd Hill (just west of Denver). Coming up from behind in our G37xS, it looked similar to the one in this photo, except it had an all white bed and graphics on the door which stated it was the property of "Cummins Corporation". Otherwise, it resembled a poorly modded and shaved Titan until you got a look at that nose!

I passed it shortly after the turnoff to Central City and going up a hill, before recognizing the zig-zag camouflage graphics. The truck seemed to quickly lost steam as the hill steepened. The driver quickly shifted two lanes to the right, but the truck didn't look like it was struggling (no apparent smoke or exhaust noise), so he might have noticed me studying it. The truck quickly fell back, so I hope the 2.8L diesel just throttled back to keep the curious from getting too good a look.

One thing after getting a close look at that front end. The headlights looked out of proportion to the rest of the Titan, but were the type of sculpted units that have been appearing on several of the newer Nissans for awhile now. The hoodline was clearly taller than our current gen Titans, so either it has one huge radiator (or intercooler?) or just a good disguise. Looking at it in my rearview mirror, I couldn't help but think it looked like a one-ton truck with a half-ton cab and rear bed section.
I smell a trade in in my future!

Welcome to the dark side, we have cookies here.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few more details as I reflect on yesterday's sighting. There was no coffee can exhaust on the test mule, only a standard size exhaust pipe poking under the PS of the bed. The windows were tinted, so I didn't catch anything on the interior. Probably just an instrumented test mule with a torn up dash anyway. Strange that they would so heavily disguise the front end, if there weren't some styling elements essential to the new Titan...

·
Super Moderator
160,695 Posts
Wider front end to accommodate a bigger radiator for a diesel? That's my guess. And yeah, with that wider front end comes some styling changes that might need camo. Sure do resemble the NV headlights, though.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess is the front end is for the upcoming HD Titan, and they're pulling engineering data to analyze. As for those headlights, I've test driven the NV commercial vans and didn't find their headlights to be that much different than the ones on our current gen Titans.

·
Super Moderator
160,695 Posts
Look at the headlights in these two pics.

Not saying they'll keep them on the Titan, but they sure look like parts from the NV bin.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look at the headlights in these two pics.

Not saying they'll keep them on the Titan, but they sure look like parts from the NV bin.
Ah- I see what you mean! The camo on those lights make them look much bigger on the Titan test mule; almost like the headlight housing itself rises above what's showing. Guess they can't show too much, but rather than reduce frontal area, it looks like the next Titan could be bigger.

·
Registered
605 Posts
All they did was stick the NV front end on a current Titan for testing. Today's announcement of the Cummins 5.0 diesel is interesting. I won't buy a new truck until I see what Nissan has to offer.

Reactions: QShip
1 - 10 of 10 Posts