Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally got around to installing my Nismo Stat today.

I used a 2011 Titan Service Manual for removal/installation procedures.

Here is a run down of what I did then pics to follow;

STEP 1: Remove front brush guard, I was surprised at how light this thing actually is. Its aluminum too.

STEP 2: Start truck and run heat on high fan setting for 10 seconds.

STEP 3: Open drain plug at the bottom passenger side of the radiator.

STEP 4: At this point it is OK to remove (slowly) the radiator fill cap. While I waited for the antifreeze to drain I started the removal process of the intake so access to the stat housing would be easier to get to.

STEP 5: Once fluid has stopped draining you can proceed with removing the stat housing. I did not remove the hose first as the Service Manual states. This step is unnecessary.

STEP 6: Remove Thermostat with o-ring attached.

STEP 7: Install Nismo Stat with Stant o-ring part number 25283. The wiggle nipple must be at the noon position, you'll see what I'm saying in the pics below.
NOTE: Service Manual suggest putting dish washing soap (dawn) on o-ring, I think its to help hold the stat in place for installation.

STEP 8: Installation in reverse order...your done

P.S. I did line the underside of the stat housing with towels to catch any antifreeze that leaked out which was very little. The Service Manual states to NOT get antifreeze on the belt. Also I used exactly one and a half gallons of 50/50 Prestone to refill the radiator.

While I had the intake off I went ahead and did the Throttle Body screen delete as 06HemiRam did, Thanks!

On to the pics:

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Not sure where you are at, but you might throw a thermo rationality code if you get cold weather there. 06HemiRam had that happen in his 2012 Titan, he is running the same one you are. I just did the 300ZX 170 degree in mine.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure where you are at, but you might throw a thermo rationality code if you get cold weather there. 06HemiRam had that happen in his 2012 Titan, he is running the same one you are. I just did the 300ZX 170 degree in mine.
right now im in AZ and its been 104 lol...

by the time i get to GA I should have Uprev and the Nismores so I should be able to take care of that code if it does pop up on me, thanks for the heads up.

·
Banned
3,359 Posts
Just FYI, Nissan is in the process of discontinuing this thermostat but motorsports has about 30 of them on the shelf as of last week. Its not cheap though, I think its over $100.00 dealer cost now.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just FYI, Nissan is in the process of discontinuing this thermostat but motorsports has about 30 of them on the shelf as of last week. Its not cheap though, I think its over $100.00 dealer cost now.
I picked mine up for 75 bucks. If they are cheap enough when they eventually mark them down I may pick up a extra one.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Already bookmarked this for future reference. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you carlo. I look for write ups like this when I want to do a mod, and sometimes there just isn't one that is specific to what you are doing. So hopefully this will make things easier for the next person that wants to do the same.

How much would someone charge for this? An hour labor?
I took my time, and it took me about 2.5 hrs. then again I stopped to take pics and refer to the service manual a few times too. Also with the TB screen delete and replacing four lug-nuts with 4 wheel locks took up 30 mins of the 2.5 hrs

its really not a difficult job, could be done in a your garage at the house. We have a self service car care center that charges hourly rates to use the bays and tools which definitively helps streamline the workload and timeframe...

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
Thank you carlo. I look for write ups like this when I want to do a mod, and sometimes there just isn't one that is specific to what you are doing. So hopefully this will make things easier for the next person that wants to do the same.

I took my time, and it took me about 2.5 hrs. then again I stopped to take pics and refer to the service manual a few times too. Also with the TB screen delete and replacing four lug-nuts with 4 wheel locks took up 30 mins of the 2.5 hrs

its really not a difficult job, could be done in a your garage at the house. We have a self service car care center that charges hourly rates to use the bays and tools which definitively helps streamline the workload and timeframe...

I just dont wanna mess with the radiator and all that lol, im sure I can find a forum member to help me out. Really interested in the 170 stat

·
Registered
924 Posts
Doing this is the simplest thing you can change on your truck.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
If you have doubt about doing this kinda stuffs. Check into a Holiday Inn for a night.:D
Lol its not that I have doubts I just dont wanna deal with the coolant and all that. Seems simple to do the thermostat swap but I dont wanna deal with the mess itll make in the lot. HOA will probably *****. Ive done everything to my truck minus welding the muffler in.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol its not that I have doubts I just dont wanna deal with the coolant and all that. Seems simple to do the thermostat swap but I dont wanna deal with the mess itll make in the lot. HOA will probably *****. Ive done everything to my truck minus welding the muffler in.
a regular oil drip pan will suffice. your only going to be draining about a gallon and a half from the drain hole on the radiator.

and just layer some towels/rags under the stat housing to catch the residual when you remove the housing. I didn't spill a drop on the concrete.

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
a regular oil drip pan will suffice. your only going to be draining about a gallon and a half from the drain hole on the radiator.

and just layer some towels/rags under the stat housing to catch the residual when you remove the housing. I didn't spill a drop on the concrete.

So 3 bolts on the therm housing cover, removed old stat, replace with new, refill and thats it?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its that easy...

well follow the steps in first post. running the heat on high for 10 seconds opens the stat, this relieves the pressure so that when you take the 3 bolts off the pressure doesn't shoot the housing, stat and hot antifreeze forward.

if you don't have a service manual download from here:
https://rapidshare.com/#!download|2...|85937|R~2CC495CE864F85C56BAA3B0786721B2D|0|0
password : pdftown.com

the removal/installation procedures are on CO-23 in my 2011 service manual, should be the same for the 2008 SM.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts