Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the IPDM relay failure in Nov 2010 which then resulted in the p0420/0430 codes = $1400 in expenses from me to get everything lined out. The relay has been recalled (Nissan has yet to contact me to inform me of this but the dealership covered the relay replacement after I took it in to be replaced with their relay instead of the one I bought for $4) yet Nissan is refusing to cover my expenses related to the recall. I had 2 hours labor locally ($120) plus $89 @ dealer to confirm what I already told them was wrong. William from consumer affairs called and only said he wanted to talk about my recent survey; skirted the issue, said Nisssan cannot do anything for me and closed my account. The only person who said the IPDM is not related to the cats failing (after dumping fuel through motor and into cats after hours of trying to get it running, dieseling,etc....) was the tech William says he spoke with. Dealer, repair shop and exhaust shop all say it is related. Regardless, Nissan should cover my expenses incurred due to the IPDM failure alone of $209 plus reimburse my insurance provider for the tow. They will do nothing for me !!!

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
There are also several posts on the forum relating to cat failure due to a failing IPDM relay. I wouldn't stop now and continue up the chain till you get some kind of restitution.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Grit from failed cats can be sucked back into the engine and has resulted in several engine replacements. How's your oil consumption?
Nice to know. :huh:

I'm in exactly the same boat, coolest dad. Hopefully I don't have a bad engine.

Maybe we can all get a class action together.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Does anyone know how I would go about finding out if cat material has indeed been drawn back into my engine?

What kind of shop would be prepared to determine that?

I just dropped cash for everything in my sig, and am dragging the truck to the exhaust shop tomorrow to start getting it all installed. Not really something I want to do if the engine is toast.

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
High oil consumption is the typical indication that has been posted. Perhaps a compression test would also tell the tale. Maybe an oil analysis would find a problem, like high iron from the cylinder liners.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
From the threads I've read, it doesn't seem like a high number of people experienced the bad engine from this whole ordeal.
The ones that I saw that did, however, were all instances of the dealership telling the owner the engine needed replacing and it being done under warranty. So those of us out of warranty are on our own as far as diagnosing the extent of damage caused by excess fuel/ IPDM cfusterluck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After two letters to Nissan from the AG's office, they are starting to change their tune from not wanting to cover any of my expenses related to this recall to covering what I can prove is related to the ecm relay failure. They already have had two copies of all my receipts but want them again! What a crock! They know that this failure has caused others to have this same thing, but don't want to get into it I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
yes I did but I nore any one else can directly relate the the two together. I wish you and all the rest the best of luck in this. I personally feel that you are correct but I am not hight enough on the food chain to make a difference.

Reactions: coolest dad
1 - 10 of 10 Posts