Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read on Pickuptrucks.com Nissan is cutting production of the Titan/Titan XD & Frontier down to two shifts in an anticipated truck and van slowdown in 2019. It also said Titan and Titan XD sales were down almost 5 percent for 2018 and 27.4 percent for the last three months of 2018. Does anyone fear Nissan would ever kill off the Titan line in a cost saving mode like Ford and GM abandoned their sedans?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I saw that a few days ago.

It’s a possibility. If they don’t make any money from it, they will have to cut it.

Maybe the market will pick up for them. From my understanding, the Frontier is still selling well. It’s just the Titan and the Van that are having production cuts.

Shame. Titan is much nicer than my dodge was and just as nice as my buddy’s new Chevy.

·
Registered
206 Posts

It’s a possibility. If they don’t make any money from it, they will have to cut it.

Maybe the market will pick up for them. From my understanding, the Frontier is still selling well. It’s just the Titan and the Van that are having production cuts.

Shame. Titan is much nicer than my dodge was and just as nice as my buddy’s new Chevy.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I was under the impression that the 2nd gen sales numbers are significantly higher than the sales for the previous generation and they kept that one going for 11 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts

Correct me if I’m wrong but I was under the impression that the 2nd gen sales numbers are significantly higher than the sales for the previous generation and they kept that one going for 11 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no honest idea. About half the Titans I see are 16’ and newer. But that’s just my area. I see one Titan for every 500 trucks. But I live in an area where trucks must outnumber cars 10:1 for personal vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
In New Jersey I rarely see any on the roads but when I was driving from Gainesville Florida to Boynton Beach I saw at least a dozen going south with me in that 4 hour ride there were some gong north too.
Yes the big three have nice trucks too but I’m still extremely pleased with my purchase and zero regrets.

Clint

·
Registered
137 Posts
I love mine! I think the problem they don’t sell as much is the sticker price compared to a Ford that hauls a much heavier payload. Maybe they will increase the haul/payload in the future? To me it’s a no brainer with the warranty Nissan offers and the price you can get a new one for if the dealer is willing to deal. Of course I don’t haul heavy loads, I have my diesel Excursion for that.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Nissan has front loaded Titan production and stored 2019 trucks in massive lots waiting for shipment. It allowed Nissan management to keep three lines working and then to layoff the temp workers that had been hired for Titan production.

·
Premium Member
73,588 Posts
The Titan has been in threat of death for a while now, even before the redesign.

If you remember at one point the Titan and Ram were due to merge into one product, and probably to Dodge standards. I'm glad that idea died.

I know a lot of former Titan owners that are in Fords because the new Titan design was simply unappealing to them. Quite frankly I don't like the new design as it's nose heavy and made to look like the big 3. I think they nailed it in 2004 when the Titan came out and have been slowly losing ground every since.

I really wanted to love the new XD but they put a 5/8 ton truck out with 3/4 ton truck pricing. It's simple math the just doesn't work for the consumer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Titan has been in threat of death for a while now, even before the redesign.

If you remember at one point the Titan and Ram were due to merge into one product, and probably to Dodge standards. I'm glad that idea died.

I know a lot of former Titan owners that are in Fords because the new Titan design was simply unappealing to them. Quite frankly I don't like the new design as it's nose heavy and made to look like the big 3. I think they nailed it in 2004 when the Titan came out and have been slowly losing ground every since.

I really wanted to love the new XD but they put a 5/8 ton truck out with 3/4 ton truck pricing. It's simple math the just doesn't work for the consumer.
I guess what everyone considers appealing differs, I didn’t like the look in 2004, but I really like the redesign. I have never driven a first gen Titan, but I can’t tell you mine 17 rides and drives awesome. I have owned Fords and Chevy’s and this is my favorite by far. Like I said the pricing for what it can haul regular and XD would put off any serious truck buyer that really needs to serious truck for hauling, if Nissan could up their game on that category without raising the prices, I think it could give all three a run for it’s money.

·
Registered
574 Posts
With as much money and time Nissan has in the new Titan, I think it will survive. I was surprised when they announced a single cab and a v6 to become standard. Actually the 5.6 should be a premium motor just like Toyota offering the bigger 5.7 over the base 4.6 in their Tundra.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nissan won't kill the Titan. They'd be crazy to exit the truck market b/c of the high volumes and need to compete in this segment. Like all things new, it will take time to build up the volume.

For anyone griping about the price, I bought my fully loaded '18 for $4K less than a moderately equipped F-150 XLT. I wanted the F-150, but there's NO WAY, I'm going to pay the premium to get a lesser equipped vehicle. Window sticker pricing on all vehicles are stupid and meaningless. I really wish they'd simply put a realistic price on the Monroney Label and eliminate the price haggling.

My PR '18 puts a smile on my face each time I start it up. The F-150's V6s need fake engine noises piped through the audio system and it still sounds weak. Long live the V8!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nissan won't kill the Titan. They'd be crazy to exit the truck market b/c of the high volumes and need to compete in this segment. Like all things new, it will take time to build up the volume.

For anyone griping about the price, I bought my fully loaded '18 for $4K less than a moderately equipped F-150 XLT. I wanted the F-150, but there's NO WAY, I'm going to pay the premium to get a lesser equipped vehicle. Window sticker pricing on all vehicles are stupid and meaningless. I really wish they'd simply put a realistic price on the Monroney Label and eliminate the price haggling.

My PR '18 puts a smile on my face each time I start it up. The F-150's V6s need fake engine noises piped through the audio system and it still sounds weak. Long live the V8!
I agree with you on. I love my 18 PR. I just can't understand why so few see how great this truck is for the price. Its the first time I have tried to find reasons to go out and drive my truck in a long time.

That said, Nissan's sales this month would make you think the sky is falling. I am very concerned at the state of Nissan as a company. With the issues going on in leadership, I see Nissan falling back to where it was in the late 90s. That is an issue. It really seems like the Japanese are trying to kill Nissan. I feel like Hiroto Saikawa actually works for Toyota.

I just hope things settle down and Nissan can get back to building great cars again. Let's start a new campaign... "Make Nissan Great Again!"

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know first hand how messed up they are. I worked there for over 12 years and was laid off recently. It’s a blessing in the end as the we could all tell the future isn’t rosey.

Ghosn is in a Japanese prison and is being practically starved in order to force a confession. He’s lost 30 pounds since this ordeal began a couple months ago!

José Munoz, Ghosn’s protégée, ubruptly quit 3 weeks ago, and Saikawa has agreed to leave the company “soon” now. I’ve read a bunch of articles to monitor what’s going down. Funny thing is, I know more than many of my old colleagues because they’re not being told anything internally! This week, a few of my friends were offered buyouts to leave the company to reduce overhead.

While I don’t think Nissan will go under, they’re at the beginning of a very difficult transformation that’ll take several years to turn around and get back to profitable growth.

·
Registered
149 Posts

This is exactly what I was telling people (a few on here, and those who asked how I liked it).

I spent 40k on my '17 PR and it also puts a smile on my face. I also wanted an F-150 as I was looking to go to a full size. The window sticker doesnt mean much its the meat and potatoes price that I will be paying.... I also compared. Even if I negotiated, I could not find a crew cab F150 with even 1/2 of the features I wanted for under 40k. Also, the basic rims on the F150 are really disgusting in look. Ruins the rest of a well designed truck. But to get something better you are inching closer to 50k.

Anyways, that was my comparison and I'm glad I saved my pocket money and still got all the features I wanted.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I know first hand how messed up they are. I worked there for over 12 years and was laid off recently. It’s a blessing in the end as the we could all tell the future isn’t rosey.

Ghosn is in a Japanese prison and is being practically starved in order to force a confession. He’s lost 30 pounds since this ordeal began a couple months ago!

José Munoz, Ghosn’s protégée, ubruptly quit 3 weeks ago, and Saikawa has agreed to leave the company “soon” now. I’ve read a bunch of articles to monitor what’s going down. Funny thing is, I know more than many of my old colleagues because they’re not being told anything internally! This week, a few of my friends were offered buyouts to leave the company to reduce overhead.

While I don’t think Nissan will go under, they’re at the beginning of a very difficult transformation that’ll take several years to turn around and get back to profitable growth.
The head of Infiniti left too - Roland Kroger. He went to Dyson.

The sad part about this is that Ghosn saved the company from exactly where they are heading back to. The Japanese are killing his legacy and putting the company right back where he saved it from. It is disappointing. I still have my 81 Z though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dang so Munoz just quit I had not heard that? and Fred Diaz is with Mitsubishi now leading them, who will Nissan target to right the ship?

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Man it's a mystery to me that so few seem to give Nissan a shot (Titans anyway) when truck shopping. Low sales numbers is probably the main scare. Myself included back in 2010 when I gifted a parent with my GMC Sierra … was planning on another GMC and already had a single cab model picked out. Just happened to be at a Nissan dealer with a friend and they had a used 09 KC with only 5k miles and a small dent. I checked it out more or less just to appease the sales person and low and behold ended up buying it. I saved money and got more room/power over the GMC. Thinking back then, the outside of the Titan really didn't "grab" my attention but when I test drove it firing up the 5.6 and feeling the power/responsive pedal I was hooked ! The steering felt a ton more crisper/tight over the GM as well.

For those of you that have been to Japan, has anyone seen a Titan over there ? Since they are made here in USA for USA just wondering if one has ever been exported over there. I'm sure there are some loyal Nissan fans in Japan that envy US peeps that get to own a mean v8 still. Also I've heard Nissan is considered #1 over Toyota is about half of Japanese …. kind of like the ford/gm here in US.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts