Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't a fan of the separated key and key fob combo that came factory on our trucks so I looked around for a better solution.

At first I ended up with one of the ebay flip keys, it worked alright just didn't feel very OEM. The actual key was loose and overall the quality felt cheap.

So I looked around for an OEM solution. Most of Nissans new models come with the Smart Key with push button start. Except for the Nissan Rogue. Bought it on eBay for $17 shipped (used to test). Just received it and it programmed flawlessly with the truck. 3 button key just like the original and all work as should.

And since I have Uprev I have NATs disabled (my truck does not require a chip to start anymore). Home Depot will cut the key for free since you brought it in. As far as trucks without NATs disabled I do not know if this will work and program with the chip requirement.

Size Comparison

Cut and unlocks and starts the truck perfectly

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thats awesome. I hate having a huge the giant key ring as well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Awesome. I read about others doing this and they taped their key under the dash so the truck thought the key was correct. Would that work?

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. I read about others doing this and they taped their key under the dash so the truck thought the key was correct. Would that work?
Ya if I was to go that route, id buy a few these and have them cut and program them. Then I would take one of the OEM keys and chop off the key portion so just the transponder is left.

May end up doing that because when Uprev disabled NATs, the little red security light on the dash stays lit while driving and its annoying lol

·
Registered
260 Posts
All of the keys I found on ebay say they MUST be programmed by the dealer. Did you do it yourself?

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of the keys I found on ebay say they MUST be programmed by the dealer. Did you do it yourself?
They are referring to the chip.

There are three ways to get the chip programmed.
1. Disabled with uprev
2. Place a dummy key behind the ignition
3. Have the dealer program it

To program the lock/unlock/horn you can do that yourself.

I tried it, it works. First you need all of the transmitters ready because you have to clear the code and that will erase the existing codes programmed.
Enter car, close all doors. Insert and remove key from ignition 6 times within 10 seconds. The hazard lights will flash to confirm original code has been erased. Turn the ignition to the ACC position. Press any button on the first transmitter. Hazard lights will flash to confirm programming. To enter additional transmitters, unlock then lock the doors using the power lock switch on the drivers door. Press any key on the second transmitter, the hazard lights will flash to confirm programming. Repeat the unlock then lock step to program additional transmitters. When finished, open drivers door, then remove key. You can have a max. of 4 transmitters per car.
:)

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could also probably pull the chip out of your original key and put it in the rogue key, since you can unscrew and separate the top portion of the new key.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yep just like ebay flip keys that require you to do that.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
google it - there is a procedure, if you have 2 original keys that start the truck, there is a procedure where YOU yourself can program a 3rd cut key buy putting in one at a time and starting the truck with each then starting the truck with the last key and the truck will recognize and program it...then you will have 3 programed keys...

i think my350z.com list it...

-J

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Would you have to get these cut at a dealership?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
does anyone know how much dealers charge to program the key?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
google it - there is a procedure, if you have 2 original keys that start the truck, there is a procedure where YOU yourself can program a 3rd cut key buy putting in one at a time and starting the truck with each then starting the truck with the last key and the truck will recognize and program it...then you will have 3 programed keys...

i think my350z.com list it...
This doesn't work for the Titan. Wish it did though.

does anyone know how much dealers charge to program the key?
This depends on the dealer, mine was $40. I bought two blank chipped keys off ebay for about $10. You need all keys present to program.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What seller did you guys use and did yours come with the guts already in it. I found some that come with an empty shell.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I got mine for a ebay link called "yourkeylessremote". It was like 18.76 shipped and i got it in about 4 days. Havent programmed it uet but plan to in like an hour

·
Registered
317 Posts
Tag for more info.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts