Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an article in today's Detroit News (the only decent newspaper in the midwest) discussing Nissan's expansion plans in Europe. It said Nissan's design leader said this:

"Nakamura acknowledges that the design and quality of Nissan vehicle interiors has lagged behind the standard of their exteriors."

Link to Detroit News

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've seen this in a few reviews of the Titan, as in, "like other Nissan vehicles, the interior design and build quality lags behind the rest of the truck".

·
Registered
109 Posts
Austin said:
*shrug*

It's functional.
I agree, it's also comfortable, quiet and (hopefully) will be hardy!! What else do you need in a truck?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've got a 350Z Roadster and it beats any American car for interior. My choice for a convertible was the 350Z or a Corvette. GM car interiors look like rentals. Who cares? We love our Nissan interiors.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is a big difference between saying your interior design has not kept up with your dramatic exterior innovation, and saying the interior "sucks".

·
Registered
53 Posts
I really do like a lot of the current Nissan models but it is rather disconcerting to compare their interiors to competitors, especially Toyota and Honda. Large areas of cheap looking and repetitive plastic and cheap feeling switchgear is typical on Nissan products. It is not typical in any Toyota or Honda vehicle, let alone their vehicles in the same price bracket as the Titan. It is good to see Nissan recognise they need to upgrade this area as it is one of their few weak points.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree. Nissan needs to pay attention to the interior. I don't care for the color schemes available. My old Tundra had a much more comfortable interior than the Titan. The cloth was really high end and the seats had some padding. Too bad the brakes wee horrible in the Tundra. I've noticed the same thing about the hard seats in my wifes Maxima but not in my kids Accord.

·
Registered
662 Posts
jd1973 said:
The cloth was really high end and the seats had some padding.
I had leather in my Tundra, but if I recall the people that had the cloth interior had problems with the arm rest cloth wearing out VERY QUICKLY.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
One thing Nissan did with the interior of the Titan that was right on the money was to make the doors and most of the rest of the interior very dark graphite color. This dark color will not show grime like the light color gray of my GMC did. I sometimes rest my arm on the window sill and previous vehicles I owned had collected dirt and oils off of my skin like a magnet. I always had to spend a lot of time keeping it clean. Often times when you are at the lake or on the trails it is not possible to wash your hands before you drive. Nissan's choice of dark interior colors makes sense. The Titan's interior may not be the most impressive in the showroom but after a few years of use I bet it will hold up and look better than the competition's.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Wow, it is nice to read that Nissan understands. I don't have a problem with the design and layout, but the quality of the materials could clearly stand a dramatic upgrade! When you compare the touch and feel to the switchgear in a Honda, you quickly see the Honda is on another plane altogether. Looks to me like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Bayou Titan said:
One thing Nissan did with the interior of the Titan that was right on the money was to make the doors and most of the rest of the interior very dark graphite color...
I would like to agree with you, but it is not so easy. You see I too love the dark color interior, I think it is hands down the best choice. The problem is the exterior color I like the best is the Copper, and that only comes with this miss-matched tan door and light grey dash. UGH! Why oh why can't I get the dark grey interior in a Copper exterior???

·
Registered
93 Posts
I really like my Titan (otherwise I would have bought something else), but the interior could stand for some improvement. Ford definitely has the upper hand when it comes to a truck interior - go sit in a new F150. When I get tired of the Titan interior I go drive my TT - Audi has the best interiors hands down.

·
Registered
470 Posts
dman said:
I had leather in my Tundra, but if I recall the people that had the cloth interior had problems with the arm rest cloth wearing out VERY QUICKLY.
The ones in the cloth were plastic and not too well built, but mine did ok for three years. Other than that the interior was great.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
One thing Nissan did with the interior of the Titan that was right on the money was to make the doors and most of the rest of the interior very dark graphite color. This dark color will not show grime like the light color gray of my GMC did. I sometimes rest my arm on the window sill and previous vehicles I owned had collected dirt and oils off of my skin like a magnet. I always had to spend a lot of time keeping it clean. Often times when you are at the lake or on the trails it is not possible to wash your hands before you drive. Nissan's choice of dark interior colors makes sense. The Titan's interior may not be the most impressive in the showroom but after a few years of use I bet it will hold up and look better than the competition's.

I agree fully. I looked at the other color and knew it would be hard for me to keep clean. I'm a dirty, sweaty old dog at times.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Am I the only one?

I think the Titan interior looks sharp. I had to rent a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab the other day to move a few things because the Titan I ordered has not arrived yet and I thought the interior of the Ram was rather plain. When I look in a Titan especially the SE's and LE's with the center console mounted shifter I am very pleased at what I see. I have rode in other pickup trucks as well and the only interior that I think is as good or maybe even a little better than the Titan's is certain trim levels of the F-150.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the overall design and layout of the Titan interior is good and much better than the competition...Ford, Chevy, Dodge look like they're still desiging trucks in the 70's...Toyota is bland. Nissan just needs to do something about those mushy seats!!!...serious lack of size and support for a vehicle named "Titan"....for 30K plus, give us a real seat(see Honda/Acura).

And after all of Nissan's "research with real truck owners"...why the options with the bench seating are so limited is beyond me.

The guy who bamboozled the public into thinking captains chairs are an upgrade is probably the most respected individual in the Automotive industry...considering it's probably cheaper to manufacture vehicles in this configuration, and they can somehow get away with charging more :teethmast

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think the interior of my XE looks good, but it clearly lacks a quality feel, and there is a lot of vibration and noise from various interior trim pieces. That said, I still love it and hopefully these issues will be addressed as the product line matures.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
sub par interiors

The interior is functional and durable, doesn't need to be fancy from the factory.
If you want to pretty things up a bit, Katzkin makes a leather seat kit specific to the Titan bench or capt. seats to replace the factory seat covers. The oem's get discarded and Katzkin's upholstry kit gets stretched over the seat cushion like a factory leather seat. They use hog rings for a permanent install. Katzkin says these are more durable seats than OEM. They have a bunch of color schemes and patterns available. Can also do the armrest on bench seat. Custom embroidery also available directly through the manuf. for company logos, car club graphics, etc. GREAT warranty.

Katzkin Leather Interiors
Dept. Sttr
6868 Acco St.
Montebello, CA 90640
(323) 725-1243
www.katzkin.com

Or Read about in the Feb '04 issue of Street Trucks, badass-looking racing red/gray seats were installed in a KC XE show truck. Really brings some spice to the inside.
These guys did a great job on my Prelude and I am thinking of getting my Titan done as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
IMO, the Titan interior isn't quite up to par for a 35k truck. I traded in my '01 Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4 Access Cab last week for a Titan SE 4x4 Crew. I traded in a '99 F-150 Extended Cab 4x4 for the Tundra.

When I went from the F-150 to the Tundra, there was no looking back. The Tundra stood head and shoulders over the Ford. The interior of the Tundra was well thought out and felt refined. Nice concave buttons for things like your 4x4 mode and cargo lamp. Nice and clear LED clock. Easy to feel controls on the power side mirrors (important to me as I like to back into parking). I didn't like the stereo (speakers were weak) and I didn't like the stretched out seating feel (always felt like I was sitting on the floor).

Going from the Tundra to the Titan, I'm ambivalent about the interior. The space is cavernous and I love that. The seating position is very upright and I love that. I like the steering wheel position. I love the steering wheel stereo controls and cruise. What I don't like are things like the stereo reflecting in the rear view mirror off the rear window. I get an occasional jiggle from the rear seats over bumps. The clock is hard to read with sun glasses on. There's alot of plastic.

I'm not saying it sucks but I am saying it's a bit spartan and utilitarian for a 35k vehicle. It could use a little more refining. Just my opinion and I did choose the Titan over another Tundra or an H2 or the like, so you know like the truck overall.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts