Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost one of the bolts that holds on the engine cowl under the hood. When I went to Nissan (Tom Pea**** North Houston) they told me it would be $26 to replace it. I clarified, no I'm not replacing the whole cowl - just one bolt. The Parts Manager confirmed - YES $26 is for ONE BOLT!

Have they lost their mind?

So I'll just go get two matching bolts from Autozone or Avanced or PepBoys or something. Might even upgrade to some chrome or stainles steel since I'll be painting the cowl to match the truck anyway.

But, here is what I need to know - What are the thread dimesnions on that bolt?

If possible I'd like to not have to remove the whole cowl just to go find one bolt. I'll take it off when I'm ready for paint and I'm just not that far along yet.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Wow, $26? Did you inform him that you did not want to purchase a BJ along with that, just the bolt?

I am sure you could go to HD or similar place and buy a whole box of them for $5.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yeah, ACE is the place. I wiped out a sprocket on my Harley and they wanted almost $50 for a set. There hidden behind my saddle bag so I diodn't need chrome or stainless, but got a set of grade 8 for about $20.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have looked Hi and Lo for chrome replacements.
Pep Boys
O'Rieley
Auto Zone
Advanced Auto
Ace
Home Depot
Lowes

Any other sugestions?

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
If that is the price they quoted then there is not much I can do. I have no contol over the parts pricing

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can get any bolt in any finish you want! online.

I always look up OEM parts online through one of the many many oem places like courtesyparts and tell the dealership to price match it. I've gotten 70 bucks off a part like its nothing. They want the buisness and their markup is 300%.

·
Registered
367 Posts
On my skid plat I have that little door to access the oil filter and the bolts are stripped. I stopped at the dealer to get some and they were like $17 a piece.

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
Two words: Ace Hardware.

My local one carries a butt-load of nuts and bolts - even chrome stuff - and what they don't have they'll special order.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Two words: Ace Hardware.

My local one carries a butt-load of nuts and bolts - even chrome stuff - and what they don't have they'll special order.
X2 or if you can find someone parting out vehicles that you have its nice haha.

When I had my DSM I knew someone who parted them out and got every bolt from a dissassembled car for 25 bucks lol.

I still have tons of good bolts, uts, and washers of all types organized in folgers containers! :)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Reminds me of the time i went to the dealer to get the tailgate cable, you know, the thing that holds it flat when you open the tailgate and has those special clips on the end. Actually, i only needed the clip, not the cable, but nissan only sold the cable with the clip as an assembly, for some outragoues price, i think it was like $45.

since this special clip isnt something you can find easily at other sources, i decided to steal one off the titan they had on the showroom floor on my way out. I struggled to get it free quickly and covertly without tools, but i managed to snag it while all the salesmen were busy trying to rip others off.

one dealer i have found the parts to be reasonably priced is Honda, and i was actually buying parts for an Isuzu Rodeo (the early passports were rebadged rodeos) so i just ordered parts for a passport.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
X2 or if you can find someone parting out vehicles that you have its nice haha.

When I had my DSM I knew someone who parted them out and got every bolt from a dissassembled car for 25 bucks lol.

I still have tons of good bolts, uts, and washers of all types organized in folgers containers! :)
Oh Ace has the bolt. Just not in chrome. I think Fastenal may have it or be able to get a pack of 12 for cheaper than the $26 replacement.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Reminds me of the time i went to the dealer to get the tailgate cable, you know, the thing that holds it flat when you open the tailgate and has those special clips on the end. Actually, i only needed the clip, not the cable, but nissan only sold the cable with the clip as an assembly, for some outragoues price, i think it was like $45.

since this special clip isnt something you can find easily at other sources, i decided to steal one off the titan they had on the showroom floor on my way out. I struggled to get it free quickly and covertly without tools, but i managed to snag it while all the salesmen were busy trying to rip others off.

So while the salesmen were "ripping off customers" you decided to steal the part off a showroom vehicle. Nice!!! Vaseline might have helped loosen it up...:eyebrow:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts