Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,463 Posts
I think I may have an air bubble or something, my temp gauge will go to 3/4 H then drop to the middle sometimes, is there a way to bleed the radiator? I didn’t notice a bleed valve or anything?
Radiator cap off, front of the truck pointed uphill. Run the engine for a while. It has to get hot to open the thermostat and flush out the air. I let mine run for maybe 20 minutes. Watch the fluid in the radiator. At first you'll see bubbles. Once you see no bubbles, you're probably done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Radiator cap off, front of the truck pointed uphill. Run the engine for a while. It has to get hot to open the thermostat and flush out the air. I let mine run for maybe 20 minutes. Watch the fluid in the radiator. At first you'll see bubbles. Once you see no bubbles, you're probably done.
Ok great. I’m going to try to do this tomorrow morning first thing! Thank you again!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Easy bleed method is jack stands under the front end, pop the cap on the overflow jug (while it's cool) and run the truck with the heater on. Just get to temp and run at idle for 20min or so. Watch for burping. These modern systems are a pain. We've been adding coolant to my son's F150 for a couple of days after doing a distilled water flush on his system. Runs fine, temps good, but seems to empty the overflow jug every so often. Figure it has to be air bubbles burping.

·
Premium Member
20,463 Posts
You reminded me of one issue that came up with I burped my system. When you initially fill the radiator, don't fill it all the way. Leave it well below the neck. That gives it room to burp without overflowing the radiator. Once all the air is out, fill it to normal levels. And wear eye protection when observing the bubbles!

Reactions: Titan-5.6

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You reminded me of one issue that came up with I burped my system. When you initially fill the radiator, don't fill it all the way. Leave it well below the neck. That gives it room to burp without overflowing the radiator. Once all the air is out, fill it to normal levels. And wear eye protection when observing the bubbles!

So I need to add the coolant first before starting the engine? Or start the engine then start to add the coolant?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Easy bleed method is jack stands under the front end, pop the cap on the overflow jug (while it's cool) and run the truck with the heater on. Just get to temp and run at idle for 20min or so. Watch for burping. These modern systems are a pain. We've been adding coolant to my son's F150 for a couple of days after doing a distilled water flush on his system. Runs fine, temps good, but seems to empty the overflow jug every so often. Figure it has to be air bubbles burping.

Very odd now the heat doesn’t work, I tried to bleed the radiator as you all suggested but the heat isn’t even hot at all... what do I do?

·
Premium Member
20,463 Posts
You would add fluid before starting the engine. If the system is low on fluid you may not get any heat. If there isn't enough pressure in the system I'm not sure how the cabin heat is affected.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
If you have no heat, it means you have no hot fluid flow to the heater core. You have trapped air. Let it burp. Has to be full operating temp to burp. With the heat on full blast. May take a while.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts