Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - Newbe here ....

I’m in the market for a new truck, and I am loyal to no one, other than myself, keeping as many George W’s in my wallet as possible. Currently with the $5,000 rebate on the Titan, my supplier discount and its standard options, real competitive on price to a Ford, GM or Dodge.

I’m running across some 2008’s and some 2008.5 one I have my eye on real close is a 2008, with a October 2007 build date, so its not like its been on the lot for months and months.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
2008 XE models all have a 'grey' colored front bumper/grill area, whereas the 2008.5s have color matched bumper/grill assemblies.

Supposedly ALL 2008.5's no longer have an automatic transmission check/fill tube.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Not much - Tranny fill tube and the bumper. Also I've head that the packages on the 08.5's are different.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is the dip stick tube, and fill tube now different tubes?
Why would they remove it?
I have a 2005 Ford F250 Diesel I can't wait till the lease is due to expire in April, then,...........Titan, here I come. I sat in one again last week at the Auto Show in Omaha, I forgot how much I loved it from when I test drove an 07 last year, and the 08's are even better!!!

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
fpd7 said:
Is the dip stick tube, and fill tube now different tubes?
Why would they remove it?
I have a 2005 Ford F250 Diesel I can't wait till the lease is due to expire in April, then,...........Titan, here I come. I sat in one again last week at the Auto Show in Omaha, I forgot how much I loved it from when I test drove an 07 last year, and the 08's are even better!!!

The Auto Trans dipstick/fill tube was simply eliminated. I assume they just put a plug in the hole in the top of the trans. where it would have gone. Why remove it??? To be a PITA, cut costs, etc.!!! Stupid idea in my opinion.

·
Registered
410 Posts
They probably removed it because the dealers never drain and refill the fluid by old methods. They flush and refill the system as a closed loop system as do many better independant automotive services.

I've never checked my tranny fluid level but I did have it flushed once at 50,000 miles. I see no leaks on my drive so it should all be there and if not my automatic transmission truck will not go anywhere.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
nmanley said:
They probably removed it because the dealers never drain and refill the fluid by old methods. They flush and refill the system as a closed loop system as do many better independant automotive services.

I've never checked my tranny fluid level but I did have it flushed once at 50,000 miles. I see no leaks on my drive so it should all be there and if not my automatic transmission truck will not go anywhere.
The dealears are not supposed to flush anymore. This is in a memo sent out to all dealers in early December 2007.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info all, couple more things popped up:

1) When did the 2008 come out, early 2007? Then, that would explain calling the later ones “.2008.5”
2) Does the 2008 have the upgraded brakes? I use to work for a supplier, directly involved, so I knew about this going way back. I know the 2008.5 does; I want to make sure I eliminate that issue, by not getting near it.

Again, the one I'm looking at is a 2008 SE King Cab with the popular package, pretty loaded-out IMO. Wish it had the bed package, but that is OK, doesn't have the trailer tow, but I can just buy a hitch, don't tow often so I'd rather go this way and have the taller gearing.

Thanks again,
Ed

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Yes, the 2008 has the bigger brakes.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
2008 has the same size as the new F-150's/Tundras I believe. Although by the advertising on TV you'd think that only 'yoda and ford have the ability to stop a plane or a container as it falls off a cliff.

COME ON NISSAN! I demand a commerical that shows an F150 and Tundra both pulling a Titan on a trailer. Then the Titan rolls off the back of the trailer and is hooked to a chain. It stops both trucks just before they plunge over a cliff. Hehehe

·
Registered
212 Posts
anmut said:
2008 has the same size as the new F-150's/Tundras I believe. Although by the advertising on TV you'd think that only 'yoda and ford have the ability to stop a plane or a container as it falls off a cliff.

COME ON NISSAN! I demand a commerical that shows an F150 and Tundra both pulling a Titan on a trailer. Then the Titan rolls off the back of the trailer and is hooked to a chain. It stops both trucks just before they plunge over a cliff. Hehehe

Now that would be a commercial!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd like to add a comment for what's it's worth comparing the Ford, to the Nissan. There was an Auto show in Omaha, Ne. this last weekend, and I sat in the Back seat of both trucks.

I'm 6'3" tall, and in the back seat of the 2008 F-150 Ford, my head was tilted sideways, and my feet flat on the floor with no leg room. The back seat of the 08 Nissan, I had a couple of inches to spare for my head, and I could put my feet forward some, and there was plenty of leg room. *This from a 17 year Ford driver, but not for much longer.*

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just saw an 2008.5 on the lot. It has a funny little pull down step underneath the drivers side rear bumper for access into the bed. Also the tailgate piece around the handle was all chrome.

·
Registered
245 Posts
all 2008 have the new brakes, rotors are bigger, hence, now they only come with 18" wheels or bigger.

btw, i love the new brakes, big improvement over my 04 titan se kc

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
fpd7 said:
I'd like to add a comment for what's it's worth comparing the Ford, to the Nissan. There was an Auto show in Omaha, Ne. this last weekend, and I sat in the Back seat of both trucks.

I'm 6'3" tall, and in the back seat of the 2008 F-150 Ford, my head was tilted sideways, and my feet flat on the floor with no leg room. The back seat of the 08 Nissan, I had a couple of inches to spare for my head, and I could put my feet forward some, and there was plenty of leg room. *This from a 17 year Ford driver, but not for much longer.*
What year F-150 was it? The new Fords and Dodges supposedly have larger rear seat room that the Titan now.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
chargedTitan said:
I just saw an 2008.5 on the lot. It has a funny little pull down step underneath the drivers side rear bumper for access into the bed. Also the tailgate piece around the handle was all chrome.
Those chrome pieces are dealer added.

·
Registered
161 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
What year F-150 was it? The new Fords and Dodges supposedly have larger rear seat room that the Titan now.
It was an 08 F-150, and an 08.5 Nissan Titan. I didn't make it over the the Dodges.
The one I saw also had a cool extra step under the back bumper to assist getting in the truck bed. Cool idea, and probably cheaper than Fords tail-gate step.

·
Registered
324 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Those chrome pieces are dealer added.
I don't think so. There were 4 Titans that just came off the delivery truck still wrapped in plastic, all with the chrome tailgate piece.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
fpd7 said:
It was an 08 F-150, and an 08.5 Nissan Titan. I didn't make it over the the Dodges.
The one I saw also had a cool extra step under the back bumper to assist getting in the truck bed. Cool idea, and probably cheaper than Fords tail-gate step.
Ok...the new Ford and Dodges are 09s.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts