Nissan Titan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Agree. I'm guessing it was a cost cutting move. I always thought if Nissan would have the giant roll down back window on all Titans Trims not just the crew cabs, they would move a lot more units. Same with the Tundra and the whole window is even better … they must hold a patent.?.

I remember old chevy station wagons had that feature though so who knows.
I don't know where you guys live, but I never put the windows down on my truck. It is either too hot, too cold, or too windy. I like quite when I am driving my truck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It will be interesting to see what happens with the 2020 model and if it's enough to win back the market. The 2020 truck looks competitive so far on paper, with a sunroof and modern infotainment system that the 2016-2018 (and 2019 to a good extent) were woefully lacking. The questions is how many of their most loyal customers (us) have already bought 2016-2019 models and how many of us have been burned by ongoing and frustrating issues? During my first year of ownership of my Titan, I advocated for the Titan to friends who were looking to buy new trucks as a great value proposition. However, after having the motor replaced and talking to as many different dealers as I have in my travels and hearing the same story everywhere I go and here on these forums; I don't advocate for Nissan at all anymore. Also, one buddy of mine bought a 2019 Silverado LTZ w/ the tech package and I was riding in his truck and it really opened my eyes to how utter garbage the infotainment unit in my 2017 PR is. I'd never seen android auto actually in-use in a vehicle before, which is probably why I wasn't too bothered by its omission when I was purchasing my truck and knew it didn't have it. Now that I've seen it, I'm really annoyed that my 2017 PR doesn't have it.
Am I in the minority or do most people buy a truck for the radio?

·
Premium Member
19,552 Posts
If the Titan sales go any lower, Nissan will do without the robots. Then all you guys can say your trucks are handmade, just like a Bentley.

Still loving my '17 F-350 that won't ever have rust on the body. Only a few times have I wished that I still had my '07 Titan. It was a great truck, but my F-350 tows even better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm still fuming that they got rid of the power up/down rear window that was like 2 feet wide. NONE of the new pickups available have an attractive looking rear window, Ford's is the worst.

Hoping to get another 10 years out of my 2005 which will make it around 25 years old then. Its bought and paid for, does what I need, and I know where it's been.

These new trucks all have too much fluff, bells and whistles, useless stuff to go fail down the road. $40-60k for a half ton truck, that's insane.
I agree that a lot of truck prices are ridiculous and I personally don’t give a rat’s *** how big the screen on a radio is, I didn’t consider many of the options necessary but I’ll admit I do use them sometimes. I was actually looking for a used Chevy, Ram, Ford when I got disgusted with used truck prices and came across the Titans. They had a much longer warranty than any other brand and Nissan was offering a $6k rebate. Combined with the dealer taking off another $9k because they had leftover 2018’s in 2019, I got a new 2018 SV 4x4 crew cab with the tow, convenience, and utility packages for $32k. The sticker was $47k. I didn’t really want to even spend that much but most used trucks were that.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I'd love to see demographics of truck owners on this forum, along with the trim level of trucks. I'm just picturing a bunch of old men going "Back in my day we didn't have these fancy gizmos and gadgets in our trucks! A truck's a truck! It don't need no comforts!"

Seriously, folks. One of the largest segments in the US is trucks which means you have to provide for a wide audience. No company, not even Ford, is going to get by on base level models that don't provide comfort/convenience to the daily drivers. You all say you don't need this or that, but at the end of the day if you were stuck paying the same price for less you'd go somewhere else.

Lower trim trucks, Nissan wins hands down. You can't beat the reliability for the price paid. But as you get into the higher trims they just can't compete. You're paying the same price as some competitors, but you're getting less of the stuff you guys all hate and some of the stuff we expect. Lowest towing numbers for example. When you're spending that much, the competition gives you a whole lot more bang for your buck. When a 15 year old truck (Frontier) more than doubles Titan sales year after year, somebody's eventually going to say "Why are we still selling these trucks?"

·
Registered
773 Posts
Some of u guys talk like everyone can afford them $70k plus F150’s
Sure.. They offer more tech but at a price.

My $42k Pro4x has 360 view camera.. Great tech thats reserved for the premium priced Fords..

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm as big a fan of the "extras" as the next guy. But they aren't the reason for my truck purchase decision. I needed an occasional truck and was actually shopping mid-size trucks and had settled on a GMC Canyon King Cab. I read a couple of reviews of the then new 2nd Gen Titan and decided to test drive one. When I arrived I found out that Nissan was doing a 6k rebate and the local dealer was open to bargaining. In the end it was 11k off msrp which meant that I paid significantly less for my full size Titan SV with convenience and towing packages than the mid-size trucks I was looking at and unbelievably less than the full size competition.

Due to saving so much I've been able to add some extras to my truck - leather seats etc - and still stayed below the original MSRP. Love the ride and the look and the whole ownership experience.

As I've posted here many times, my friends, family and colleagues (including those with full size trucks) are very complimentary of my truck. My only complaint about the warranty is that since I barely put 5k miles a year on the truck I'll never get the mileage benefit over 5 years.

If Nissan adopted/maintained a roughly 10k price undercut of the main stream trucks they could easily increase their market share.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Some of u guys talk like everyone can afford them $70k plus F150’s
Sure.. They offer more tech but at a price.

My $42k Pro4x has 360 view camera.. Great tech thats reserved for the premium priced Fords..
Agreed, but Ford is only 1 competitor. I have stated several times now that if you're looking for a truck that gets work done but isn't loaded with all the latest and greatest, then a Titan is definitely the way to go. I wouldn't be looking to change my 12 year old truck if I had a Crew Cab, but a 2.5 year old that forces me to move my passenger seat almost all the way forward is forcing me into another vehicle. Also lack of aftermarket support for Titans is pathetic, and that's directly related to the amount of trucks on the road.

I personally have a budget of $45-50k for a truck not including trade in. My wants are a Pro4X, Rebel, or a similarly equipped Silverado (Z71 Trail Boss or something like that), and all those can be had for that price range or lower. Granted, the heated/cooled seats and the 360 camera are a huge bonus for a Pro4X, but to me those are not deal breakers for the other trucks. The deal breakers on Nissan, again for me, are the stupid stupid stupid Intelligent Cruise Control, Nissan Connect, and just the lack of function on the cluster/infotainment area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd love to see demographics of truck owners on this forum, along with the trim level of trucks. I'm just picturing a bunch of old men going "Back in my day we didn't have these fancy gizmos and gadgets in our trucks! A truck's a truck! It don't need no comforts!"

Seriously, folks. One of the largest segments in the US is trucks which means you have to provide for a wide audience. No company, not even Ford, is going to get by on base level models that don't provide comfort/convenience to the daily drivers. You all say you don't need this or that, but at the end of the day if you were stuck paying the same price for less you'd go somewhere else.

Lower trim trucks, Nissan wins hands down. You can't beat the reliability for the price paid. But as you get into the higher trims they just can't compete. You're paying the same price as some competitors, but you're getting less of the stuff you guys all hate and some of the stuff we expect. Lowest towing numbers for example. When you're spending that much, the competition gives you a whole lot more bang for your buck. When a 15 year old truck (Frontier) more than doubles Titan sales year after year, somebody's eventually going to say "Why are we still selling these trucks?"
I’m 49 you whooper snapper. As far as options, I’m happy with AC, PW, PL, a decent radio that plays CDs’, some USB ports for charging our phones. I realize others need more toys, I don’t.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I'd love to see demographics of truck owners on this forum, along with the trim level of trucks.
37 now. I was 22 when I bought my truck and made about $40k a year then. It's a jacked up Crew Cab SE model with the basic SE options. No Satelite Radio, Manual Bench Seat, No Nav, No power pedals, no VDC, not Tow Package, No overhead control or entertainment stuff. Didn't need it then. Don't need it now. The only thing I miss having is a USB port and Bluetooth.

I liked my Titan so much that I bought a brand new 2017 Altima SR a few years ago. Also a basic car. It does what I need it to, get me back and forth to work to make money.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Am I in the minority or do most people buy a truck for the radio?
Since we're all Titan owners, obviously none of us "bought our trucks for the radio." However, I do a lot of very long drives, and on those drives some well curated Spotify playlists or Audible audiobooks are welcome company. They work with regular bluetooth, but after seeing how much easier it is to set up and use in my buddy's Silverado, I really wish my truck was as seamless. Considering that tech has been available in other brands for years now, it's very disappointing to me that Nissan skimped on it for the 2016/2017 launch.

Of course it's a non-issue compared to putting out a defective motor that required a replacement after 13k miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
61 y/o with a 19 Pro4x. Will definitely be looking at upgrading to 2020 refresh in maybe 2022-23 when I retire, I like tech as long as you can turn it off when you don't want it.
I'm part owner of a commercial property management company and had been driving a company Frontier SV since 2014. Well one of our trucks was involved in an accident (100% not our guys fault) and the insurance company totaled it and gave us a check for 9k leaving us 12k short if we wanted to replace it. So I gave my Frontier for him to drive and I'm driving by Titan which was going to be a garage queen in the winter. I was pretty bummed on the 1st morning it was snowing and the roads were full of salt because this was to be my long term truck for towing small trailers on long vacations and etc. BUT, I'm really enjoying driving my Titan more now and the Fender system sounds way better than the system in my Frontier.

·
Registered
105 Posts
46 years old here with a 2019 Pro4x. I also owned a 2018 XD Pro4x with the Cummins for about six months. I agree the tech is lacking in the Titan. My current Titan has the Fender and the XD had the Rockford Fosgate, I preferred the RF over the Fender personally. The truck rides as good as any I've owned (many) and the price is right when negotiated down.

I had a 17 Silverado LTZ Plus and the infotainment was more user-friendly but not much larger. I'm sure the newer body styles have bigger screens. Ram wins the tech battle for sure if you love tech (I do) but both of the FCA vehicles I owned (13 JKU and 16 Longhorn Ram) were super buggy.

I haven't owned a newer Ford, my last one was a 2008 model. My wife had a 2016 4Runner Limited and the system in it was similar to the Titan IMO.

The Titan is a nice truck and as many have said, hasn't been marketed very strongly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the Titan sales go any lower, Nissan will do without the robots. Then all you guys can say your trucks are handmade, just like a Bentley.

Still loving my '17 F-350 that won't ever have rust on the body. Only a few times have I wished that I still had my '07 Titan. It was a great truck, but my F-350 tows even better.
F350s are nice, but had crap motors after the 7.3 until the 6.7. But if you don't need something that tows that much it's not worth it. I tow a small camper, utility trailer, etc. Nothing over 9k lbs. My '18 Titan does what I need it to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
46 years old here with a 2019 Pro4x. I also owned a 2018 XD Pro4x with the Cummins for about six months. I agree the tech is lacking in the Titan. My current Titan has the Fender and the XD had the Rockford Fosgate, I preferred the RF over the Fender personally. The truck rides as good as any I've owned (many) and the price is right when negotiated down.

I had a 17 Silverado LTZ Plus and the infotainment was more user-friendly but not much larger. I'm sure the newer body styles have bigger screens. Ram wins the tech battle for sure if you love tech (I do) but both of the FCA vehicles I owned (13 JKU and 16 Longhorn Ram) were super buggy.

I haven't owned a newer Ford, my last one was a 2008 model. My wife had a 2016 4Runner Limited and the system in it was similar to the Titan IMO.

The Titan is a nice truck and as many have said, hasn't been marketed very strongly.
I have a friend with a Ram 1500 and we took my Titan elk hunting. He was impressed with the ride comfort and it's off road capability.

41 - 60 of 137 Posts