Nissan Titan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd love to see demographics of truck owners on this forum, along with the trim level of trucks. I'm just picturing a bunch of old men going "Back in my day we didn't have these fancy gizmos and gadgets in our trucks! A truck's a truck! It don't need no comforts!"

Seriously, folks. One of the largest segments in the US is trucks which means you have to provide for a wide audience. No company, not even Ford, is going to get by on base level models that don't provide comfort/convenience to the daily drivers. You all say you don't need this or that, but at the end of the day if you were stuck paying the same price for less you'd go somewhere else.

Lower trim trucks, Nissan wins hands down. You can't beat the reliability for the price paid. But as you get into the higher trims they just can't compete. You're paying the same price as some competitors, but you're getting less of the stuff you guys all hate and some of the stuff we expect. Lowest towing numbers for example. When you're spending that much, the competition gives you a whole lot more bang for your buck. When a 15 year old truck (Frontier) more than doubles Titan sales year after year, somebody's eventually going to say "Why are we still selling these trucks?"
Too many people today confuse needs and wants. I can afford any truck I want, but I have better things to do with my money which is motorcycling and travel. The truck is just a tool to get me and my motorcycles to the nice places to ride and on my extended work trips. It is not my daily driver. When I am in town I commute to work in a 32 mpg Buick Encore. Many guys at work measure their success or worth by how much truck they own.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I understand the sentiment, I get frustrated myself at times b/c I know how good the Titan is compared to the competition but the sales are very low and I blame Nissan for doing a bad job of marketing the truck. If I ride a work buddy that owns another brand, I get lots of comments about "oh big money" and how nice the truck looks knowing I paid similar to what they did only I have a much nicer truck with more features. If I price out a Titan compared to Ford or Ram, feature for feature, the Titan is a better price given the discounts I know I can get. I had a new Silverado (with 3k miles on it) as a rental while my truck was getting body damage repaired and I don't know what it is about that truck people like. Yes, the screen itself was better and it had CarPlay/AA but the backup camera was amazingly horrific and mostly unusable. God forbid you actually wanted to use the backup camera at night. The 2020 Titan with the 9" display will have a nicer display than that what other manufacturers offer with maybe the exception of the 12" screen offered in the Ram.

One of the "features" in the Silverado rental I had was a button below the climate control that lowered all 4 windows at once. I can't say I've ever needed that feature in my life and it baffles me why it's even an option. I'd have much rather had a drivers seat with a manual height adjustment (since the seat was all manual) so I didn't feel like a 90 year old trying to peer over the steering wheel. I'm 5'10" so I'm not super short. Plus the truck wallowed all over the place...yeah it was smooth but I don't need my truck to be a Cadillac.

I'm on FB forums for Ram and Ford trucks...they all have the potential for problems based on what I see. Let's not even start on how some Jeep Gladiator guys/gals are finding out their truck was built with dissimilar fenders on the left and right of the vehicle, among what seems like A LOT of other problems.
The window feature is for all those border crossings so the guards can see and record everyone lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got my Titan in late 2004 when I was just under 49 (I'll let you do the math and if you can't then you must be a millennial ;)) .
I fell in love after seeing at a car show.
I STILL love it and have kept it up well plus some upgrades.
Do I want or need all the BS features - NO.
I have some other vehicles so the mileage is still low @ 75K.
Can't see spending $50 or $60K.
I did upgrade to an Alpine Android compatible stereo - that is all I need in creature comforts.
After recently installing a complete Cajun stage 2 Exhaust (headers back) w/ UpRev - it has breathed new life.
Also did a Frozen Rotors Big Brake kit.
It is kind of sad to see the sales number dropping.
My only complaint is that Nissan (as pointed out from a Master Mechanic friend) is that Nissan doesn't really "fix" anything.
They just sell you new replacement parts.
Parts can get expensive and the labor even worse.
Not as bad if you do it yourself or are mechanically inclined.
A lot I can do but a lot I can't.
I despise the electrical issues and the remedies.
Other than that I still am very happy.
Rock On (if anyone remembers Rock N Roll ☠).

·
Registered
161 Posts
32 with a 2017 PR. I used to have a 2012 crew cab frontier I abused in terms of being a work truck. Lots of loads, etc. Worked great for that. Towing was less capable but adequate.

Added a son and needed a full size as the car seat was creating the front seat all the way up effect to fit it.

I didn't really have a budget per se... Just wanted a great value and was initially looking at the F150s and Tundras. I liked the f150 except for price. There were a few wants in terms of convenience and I was easily looking at 50k+ with Ford or Toyota for one with more options. Came across the Titan when I read a "2018 trucks article" and it said the Titan was mediocre interior and only had a V8.... Well.. then I spent the next 8 weeks after that researching every day and then pricing.

Posted this many times in various ways in this forum but got my 2017 PR out the door for 40k + TTL and absolutely loved my purchase. Ive been a happy boy since. I knew my one trade off was the gas mileage and gas prices in CA... But the savings were baked in to that thought.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Nissan Titan – US – By Year
information I found on the internet

rumours it it's demise greatly exaggerated?

Yearsold
So this thread should have started in 2013....

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
32 with a 2017 PR. I used to have a 2012 crew cab frontier I abused in terms of being a work truck. Lots of loads, etc. Worked great for that. Towing was less capable but adequate.

Added a son and needed a full size as the car seat was creating the front seat all the way up effect to fit it.

I didn't really have a budget per se... Just wanted a great value and was initially looking at the F150s and Tundras. I liked the f150 except for price. There were a few wants in terms of convenience and I was easily looking at 50k+ with Ford or Toyota for one with more options. Came across the Titan when I read a "2018 trucks article" and it said the Titan was mediocre interior and only had a V8.... Well.. then I spent the next 8 weeks after that researching every day and then pricing.

Posted this many times in various ways in this forum but got my 2017 PR out the door for 40k + TTL and absolutely loved my purchase. Ive been a happy boy since. I knew my one trade off was the gas mileage and gas prices in CA... But the savings were baked in to that thought.
40k for a PR is impressive. At that price point it's hard to pass up a Titan, and you start looking at compromising some of the "wants" to save an extra $15k.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So This is why f150s sell so much? They blow them up and rush to get a new one before all their buddies find out.
Rumor has it when the dude got home after pullin’ that Jayco he went to the Ford dealer and complained about an insecure drive and how poorly the truck handled on hills, mountains, and gusty winds..

Dealer said no problem u should have bought an F250.. Just trade that F150 in and all your problems are solved.. Just cash in your retirement and kids college fund and all will be great...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I see it all the time up where I live (Wyoming). Typically people from out of state. Coming down the mountain smoking their brakes because there load is too heavy. Dealer told them they can tow 12k with a 1/2 ton.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I see it all the time up where I live (Wyoming). Typically people from out of state. Coming down the mountain smoking their brakes because there load is too heavy. Dealer told them they can tow 12k with a 1/2 ton.
Being a person that has done it u figure things out real quick!!!

I mean...u can fit 5 or 6 people in a Prius but.......

When people ask my opinion I say best rule of thumb is regular towing of 7000lbs or less a 1/2 ton will be fine...

7000lbs or more a 3/4 ton or XD is best bet...

And not that anyone here cares about my opinion but if I had to buy a 3/4 ton today it would be an F250.. Very nice overall packages, performance, and ride... Reliability for all 3/4 tons pretty much suk and all are priced super high...

·
Registered
30 Posts

When people ask my opinion I say best rule of thumb is regular towing of 7000lbs or less a 1/2 ton will be fine...

And not that anyone here cares about my opinion but if I had to buy a 3/4 ton today it would be an F250.. Very nice overall packages, performance, and ride... Reliability for all 3/4 tons pretty much suk and all are priced super high...
I towed a 4500 lb boat with a 6000 lb rated 2005 pathy. Never fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking to pay off my house and then save cash to buy a truck in about 3 years. I'm hoping to have $25k-$30k. I don't want a note so I'll be looking at something used and seeing as how the Titans are lower milage vs the other trucks in the used segment I'm interested in them. I currently have a 2007 Titan with 200k that still runs great. The thing is, after reading some threads around here about the engine replacements, how reliable do you guys think these newer models will be long term? Do they feel like they will hold up? I want to buy a truck that'll last me maybe 10-15 years (200k miles).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh ya, these trucks are great overall. I love mine. They'll get some of the kinks worked out and all will be rock solid. And I'm on my second 2nd gen Titan XD after my last set of trucks being a Tundra, Ram 1500, and before that F150. The Titan XD is the best truck of the bunch, hands down. I think they have a few kinks to still resolve, but I'm not worried about it. This is the best truck I've owned followed up by the Tundra. Why anyone gets a Big3 truck is beyond me. What you get versus what you pay is so much more with the Titan (at least the XD version).

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm looking to pay off my house and then save cash to buy a truck in about 3 years. I'm hoping to have $25k-$30k. I don't want a note so I'll be looking at something used and seeing as how the Titans are lower milage vs the other trucks in the used segment I'm interested in them. I currently have a 2007 Titan with 200k that still runs great. The thing is, after reading some threads around here about the engine replacements, how reliable do you guys think these newer models will be long term? Do they feel like they will hold up? I want to buy a truck that'll last me maybe 10-15 years (200k miles).
These trucks are built a good as the other guys.. just takes Nissan forever to work out the kinks..

My 04’ Titan was most unreliable vehicle I ever owned and my 11’ Titan was most reliable vehicle I owned to date... put almost 120k on it and only issue was rear axle seal started to seep..even had the original brakes when I sold it ..
My 04’ had four brake jobs before it hit 32k miles!!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts

My rule of thumb for comfortable day to day towing is more around 50% of the tow rating. For periodic towing 70%. Just towing my 6x12 enclosed trailer with a motorcycle inside at 68 mph my fuel economy drops to 13.5 mph. I tow at 68 because at 70 the truck spends more time in 6th than 7th gear because of the wind drag.

I wouldn't buy an F250 diesel truck. In my town there are several shops that specialize in Ford diesel repair and they are slammed with trucks waiting to be worked on. Our GMC 2500HD 6.0 Liter has been flawless over the last 11 years.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts