Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This sticky will serve as a history of the Nissan Titan. It will cover the changes made to the truck over the years. Please help by posting any information you have on the subject or by verifying what has already been posted.

►2004 - 1st Model Year (Gen. I)

Vehicle Dimensions

ext. cab long bed crew cab short bed
Wheelbase, in. 139.8 139.8
Overall Length, in. 224.2 224.2
Overall Width, in. 78.8 78.8
Overall Height, in. 75.0 75.1
Curb Weight, lbs. 4966 5019
Cargo Volume, cu. ft. -- --
Standard Payload, lbs. 1640 1585
Fuel Capacity, gals. 28.0 28.0
Seating Capacity 6 6
Front Head Room, in. 41.0 41.0
Max. Front Leg Room, in. 41.8 41.8
Rear Head Room, in. 38.9 40.4
Min. Rear Leg Room, in. 33.0 40.4

Towing/Payload Capacity: Titan's maximum payload is 1692 lb on ext. cab and 1643 on crew cab. Towing capacity tops out at 9500 lb.
Specifications Key: NA = not available; "--" = measurement does not exist.

Engines

dohc V8
Size, liters/cu. in 5.6/341
Horsepower @ rpm 305 @ 4900
Torque (lb-ft) @ rpm 379 @ 3600
Availability Standard
EPA city / highway mpg
5-speed automatic 14/19

Notes: 1. 14/18 w/4WD.

Standard Equipment:

XE

Powertrain
5.6-liter V8 engine, 5-speed automatic transmission
Safety
dual front airbags, antilock 4-wheel disc brakes, brake assist, tire-pressure monitor
Comfort and Convenience Features
air conditioning, power steering, tilt steering wheel, cruise control, cloth upholstery, front split bench seat, center console, column shifter, cupholders, split folding rear seat, power windows (Crew Cab), power door locks (Crew Cab), AM/FM/CD player, digital clock, tachometer, visor mirrors, variable-intermittent wipers, rear-hinged rear doors (King Cab), front-hinged rear doors (Crew Cab), cargo-box light
Appearance and Miscellaneous
sliding rear window (Crew Cab), rear privacy glass (Crew Cab), color-keyed bumpers
Special Purpose, Wheels and Tires
full-size spare tire, 245/75R17 tires, 4WD adds: 4-wheel drive, 2-speed transfer case, traction control, tow hooks

SE adds to XE:

interior air filter, leather-wrapped steering wheel, front captain chairs w/driver-side lumbar adjustment, floor shifter, fold-flat passenger seat, heated power mirrors, power windows, power door locks, remote keyless entry, illuminated visor mirrors, map lights
theft-deterrent system, sliding rear window, rear privacy glass, chrome bumpers
265/70R18 white-letter tires, alloy wheels, 4WD adds: 4-wheel drive, 2-speed transfer case, traction control, tow hooks

LE adds to SE:

leather upholstery, heated front seats, 8-way power driver seat, 6-way power passenger seat, memory system (driver seat, mirrors, pedals), power-adjustable pedals, Rockford Fosgate AM/FM radio w/in-dash 6-disc CD changer, steering-wheel radio controls, rear radio controls, headphones, automatic day/night rearview mirror, compass, outside-temperature indicator, universal garage-door opener, automatic headlights

running boards, fog lights, rear-fender lock box, bedliner

4WD adds: 4-wheel drive, 2-speed transfer case, traction control, tow hooks

Optional Equipment and Packages:

Big Tow Package - includes 3.357:1 final drive, increased towing capacity to 9,400, extendable large side view mirrors, transmission temperature gauge, Class III/IV hitch, trailor wiring harness and relays.

Off-Road Package - includes: switch on demand locking rear axle (4x4), Rancho(r) gas shocks, 3.357:1 final drive, P285/70R17 BFG tires, 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, skid plates, fog lamps, tow hooks

Colors Available:

Exterior: Copper, Radient Silver, Smoke, Galaxy Black, Blizzard, Deep Water Blue, Red Brawn, Canteen Green, Sedona.

Interior: Graphite/Titanium, Sand/Steel​

►2005 - 2nd Model Year (Gen. I)

DRIVETRAIN

An aluminum finned differential cover replaced the steel one of 2004. The rear differential lubricant specification was changed to synthetic 75-140.

INTERIOR

The dash and center console were accented with an aluminum finish.

EXTERIOR

The "V8 Endurance" emblem on the fenders was removed and a "V8 TITAN" emblem was placed on the forward doors. The LE and SE wheels were now painted with a smoke shade of grey. (not on 100% of all wheels)

COLORS

The Sand/Steel interior was replaced with Steel. Red Alert was added as an exterior color.

COMFORT & CONVENIENCE

A raise/lower assist was added to the tailgate. The headrests were replaced with ones with more support. The bench seat option was added to the LE package. A powered rear window was added as an option.

MISC.

A Texas Titan special package was produced. It came with chromed wheels, chrome side steps, a "Texas Titan" emblem on the tailgate, and floor mats with the Texas Titan logo.​

►2006 - 3rd Model Year (Gen. I)

MODELS & PACKAGES

The tow package is now available on XE models. It contains all the features in the package currently availabe on SE and LE except the extendable towing mirrors.

DRIVETRAIN

VDC (vehicle dynamic control) is now available on SE and LE 4X4 models with a locking rear differential.

EXTERIOR

The standard mirrors and optional towing mirrors on SE models change from chrome to black.

On LE models, both outside mirrors add a power folding function, an auto-dimming function, and intergrated turn signals to go with the current heating and power adjusting functions. (not available with optional towing mirrors)

Step rails are now optional on LE Crew Cab. Previously they were standard.

The power sunroof is now available as an option on SE Crew Cab (late availability)

COLORS

Majestic Blue replaces Canteen and Granite replaces Copper.

COMFORT & CONVENIENCE

ATC (automatic temperature control) and seperate dual zone climate controls allow the driver and frontseat passenger to individually establish their own temperature settings.

SAFETY FEATURES

The front-passenger air bag warning light does not illuminate if the seat is unoccupied.
If the front-passenger seat is occupied by a small adult, child, or child restraint seat, the air bag is deactivated and a warning light illuminates on the instrument panel. If the seat is unoccupied, the air bag is deactivated, but the warning light does not illuminate.

Driver and front-passenger side-impact air bags (SRS) and roof mounted curtain side-impact air bags (SRS) are no longer available on XE, and are not available on SE and LE with bench seat.

The Event Data Recorder (EDR) records information from various systems including engine, brakes, and air bags. Certain data may be stored if a crash occurs. Information from EDR's will be used to help build better, safer vehicles in the future.

AUDIO SYSTEMS

The AM/FM/in-dash 6-disc CD changer audio system and the Rockford Fosgate-powered audio system now accommodate CD's containing the MP3 and WMA file formats.​

·
Registered
257 Posts
Great idea! Thanks Sammy! ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
May not be reading this right, but it looks like there's a typo under mileage. Titan's don't get 191 mpg on the highway, though I wish they did!!! I think you meant 19.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John Harden said:
May not be reading this right, but it looks like there's a typo under mileage. Titan's don't get 191 mpg on the highway, though I wish they did!!! I think you meant 19.
Thanks, it has been fixed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sammy,
Please add Sedona color for the model year of '04. Almost like a "custom" color since very few out there and only offered one year. Pagerdaddy, myself, and others will thank you.

Also thanks for initiating a thread to help prospective buyers of used Titans. Should help them to see what was available in their process of making a very intelligent decision of buying a Titan.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ok, this may not be what you're going for with this, but what about stuff like the big tow or offroad packages? i understand this might make it a little too complicated, but thought i would suggest it nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
milleniamarv said:
Sammy,
Please add Sedona color for the model year of '04. Almost like a "custom" color since very few out there and only offered one year. Pagerdaddy, myself, and others will thank you.

Also thanks for initiating a thread to help prospective buyers of used Titans. Should help them to see what was available in their process of making a very intelligent decision of buying a Titan.
Okay, it's been added. I don't even recall what Sedona looks like, must have been real low production.

ok, this may not be what you're going for with this, but what about stuff like the big tow or offroad packages? i understand this might make it a little too complicated, but thought i would suggest it nonetheless.
In what way? I mean, should I add it to the '04 list? Let me know, and I'll get on it.

Another question for the masses: I saw an XE CC in the Wal-mart parking lot today, but it had a chrome rear bumper. It was either and '05 or '06, judging by the emblem, and electric rear window. I know the '04 XEs had the grey rear bumpers, but did something change, or was this just an owner mod?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sammy Sandbag said:
In what way? I mean, should I add it to the '04 list? Let me know, and I'll get on it.
lol i don't really know, i was asking you. there's so many different packages on the nissan website for the 06's, but one "feature" in particular is like say...tow hooks...my 2004 2wd with offroad package has them due to the offroad package. but would this sort of information really fall into this topic? like what upgrades do you get for the "prefered package" or something like that. is this kind of stuff just too much information?

holy crap! you're at rucker?! i work at hanchey.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Like alabama lowlife suggested, how about adding option packages (what they add to and delete from the standard configuration) to the list?

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alabama_lowlife said:
lol i don't really know, i was asking you. there's so many different packages on the nissan website for the 06's, but one "feature" in particular is like say...tow hooks...my 2004 2wd with offroad package has them due to the offroad package. but would this sort of information really fall into this topic? like what upgrades do you get for the "prefered package" or something like that. is this kind of stuff just too much information?

holy crap! you're at rucker?! i work at hanchey.
Okay, I'll look into adding it. That's why I need yall to help out. For example, I was looking at an '06 LE CC 2WD non-OR on the lot a few weeks ago and it had tow hooks. When I bought my '04, you didn't get tow hooks unless you got the OR package.

And yes, Holy Crap I'm stillllllll at Rucker.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I thought all LE rims were silver and SOME SE rims in `05 were darker color, you'll find lots of pic's of `05 SE's with lighter silver rims like my `04...

Not that big of a deal, I've yet to se an LE with the darker silver rims and I think there was a thread on the randomness of the dark silver SE rims. I dont think anyone has ever figured out why some SE rims are dark and some light. I think that guy that went in for an oil change and bought an `06 has an SE with light silver rims too, I dunno what the deal is...

Other than that, great start on a good resource, might add the the other package details as well (popular, r/f, nav, sunroof)...

Oh, also, they took away the homelink/auto-dimming mirror in `05. My `04 SE popular/bench has it, but the `05's have the cheapo mirror and the temp/homelink in the overhead console...

Also I didnt think the power rear window was an option. I thought all Crew cabs got it...

Also didnt the `05 SE's get back up sensors? I'm not sure if thats a package option or what, my `04 doesnt have them...

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sammy,

Under the Offroad Package option, in 2004 the locker only came on the 4x4.

·
Banned
256 Posts
crap i wonder it the mp3/wma in dash player on the 06 is the exact same size as the 05 titans 6 disc changer

if so i wonder if i can get a hold of one

and i wonder how much they run

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Contra said:
crap i wonder it the mp3/wma in dash player on the 06 is the exact same size as the 05 titans 6 disc changer

if so i wonder if i can get a hold of one

and i wonder how much they run
People will be selling them in Buy/Sell before too long as they replace them with aftermarket head units.

·
Banned
256 Posts
yeah i will be watching i want it stcok looking for now lol

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Sammy Sandbag said:
?2006 - 3rd Model Year (Gen. I)
EXTERIOR
The standard mirrors and optional towing mirrors on SE models change from chrome to black.
Wow, I'm glad I got a 2005, the chrome mirrors really add to the look of the SE and LE because of all the chrome.

And FWIW- I think there is some kind of ommision in the 2005 listing of changes. I know I got a '05 4x4 Big Tow without VDC, and if I had gotten an '04 4x4 Big Tow I'm very sure I would have gotten VDC standard. And for the record, I'm thrilled I don't have it.

·
Banned
791 Posts
Quad T said:
Wow, I'm glad I got a 2005, the chrome mirrors really add to the look of the SE and LE because of all the chrome.

And FWIW- I think there is some kind of ommision in the 2005 listing of changes. I know I got a '05 4x4 Big Tow without VDC, and if I had gotten an '04 4x4 Big Tow I'm very sure I would have gotten VDC standard. And for the record, I'm thrilled I don't have it.
With the 2005s, you had to get the air bag package to get the VDC, excluding XEs and Off Road E-Locker package. VDC was part of the BT package in '04 but was ommited if you had the OFF Road Package w/ E-Locker.

Have a good one.

·
Banned
791 Posts
An even nicer idea would be to update the 'mechanical' and design changes that aren't related to features but to design flaws and reliability problems. This would be what I'd be more interested in seeing. Any Nissan Engineers care to share?!?:)

Have a good one.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts