Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Summer Nissan introduced a # of new configurations of the Titan so that it could compete better in the market.
Now Nissan has announced that it will reduce the # of configurations of the Titan so that it can compete better.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../801200550/1001

Nissan to cut Titan offerings

Nissan Motor Co. plans to cut down on the variations of the Nissan Titan in hopes of improving its chances in the market, said Mark McNabb, Nissan North America senior vice president of sales and marketing.

Titan sales fell 8.9% in 2007 to 65,746, well below the Ford F-series at 690,589. The leaders in the full-size pickup segment, General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co., offer a seemingly endless list of packaging combinations.

But at Nissan's volumes, the variations hurt sales by making it harder for the dealer to have the right truck on the lot for customers, McNabb said last week while at the Detroit auto show preview. "Our 2008 is dedicated to simplifying our package offerings," he said.

By Joe Guy Collier

·
Registered
201 Posts
Makes sense, if they aren't going to try to compete with tons of variations keep it simple for better results.

I doubt it will work, but go for it.

·
Super Moderator
162,276 Posts
Link doesn't get me to where I assume you want all of us to go. Here's what it tells me:

The page you are looking for could not be found. It may have been removed, or is otherwise unavailable.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im not sure how Nissan should be going about selling more Titans....But I know this aint the way.:wtf:

·
Registered
591 Posts
So.....Are they streamlining the 'models' or the packaging/options on each trim??? I mean, they only have 4 trims now in CC or KC. Yet, Where is the regular cab? When will we see the diesel? Who the he(( do they hire to make these dumb arse decisions? I think these people are responsible for the Titan's sales from the get-go. Clean house.:domohit:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The quote is confusing. Execs are speaking of the 2008 model year where package offerings are going to be cut down. In fact, they did do that for the 2008 model year, which began shipping in 2007. Rather than have three trim levels and offroad packages for each trim level, there are three trim levels and one offroad truck, for a total of four.

I agree with the philosophy. Acura has been successful for many years by offering two to four configurations for each model, basically coming down to navigation or no navigation package, automatic or stick. In fact, by reducing the number of configurations, it reduces production and inventory costs, and the vehicle can be offered in higher trim options at a better value to the customer.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I also call BS on this, it has already been said that there are a very limited number of configuration for the Nissan Titan. One engine, one transmission, KC, CC. What else is their? Sometimes you have to read between the BS lines. Oh BTW, you'll never see a diesel in a Nissan Titan.

·
Registered
978 Posts
never say never.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I think they still sell my configuration, bare bones four seater with a monster power plant, for 16,500. Take that Ford, I owned a Ford before the Titan BTW, lol.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if I were a betting man, I would bet that Nissan is considering reducing the # of bed configurations.
There are(according to Nissan), 4 different bed sizes available, 5'5", 6'5",7' and 8', add in the # of trim levels, XE,SE,LE and Pro-4-x that is a lot of different configurations for a truck that averages about 6k in sales a month.
If you take into consideration the added cost of adding these configurations to the assembly line and the decreasing sales #'s, Nissan probably sees reducing the # of bed configurations as an easy cost saving measure.
While I don't know the actual #'s, I bet that some trim level/bed configurations only sell a few hundred a month,to low to make a profit.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I think its a bad idea, Nissan already offers far less configurations then its competitors. Nissan needs come up with some new marketing and improve quality.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It doesn't make sense. Nissan just came out with the LWB configs recently and we only had two configs before that. Also, there are only 4 trims available now, up from 3. So, are we narrowed down to two trims, XE and SE, with 4wd offroad package available on either and SE getting an available leather package, (like Tundra SR5 options)? At least the latest news says Titan is not gone....

·
Premium Member
76,514 Posts
hmm interesting news.. it makes sense although i'm not sure cutting the LWB model is what they are intending. I'm not sure why they didn't pair up the KC bed on a CC and call it a day.. Certainly then you'd only have 4 chassis to worry about and 2 beds. I wonder if they'll have an Armada come out with a bigger cargo area to go on one of the other chassis.. that'd make sense as well... then you're support two different models on one chassis. :dunno: nissan..

as far as trim lines, xe, se, and le.. why change them? sure the xe is butt, however it's a "work" truck like the chebby WT series...

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I'm not sure why they didn't pair up the KC bed on a CC and call it a day.. Certainly then you'd only have 4 chassis to worry about and 2 beds.

Right know they only use two chasis, CC short beds ride on the same chasis as the KC short bed, and CC Long bed titans ride on the same chasis as the KC long bed, if they used the Short bed KC bed on the Crew cab they would need a third chasis.

I can only see them cutting certain trims in certain configurations, like maybe get rid of the KC LE longbed, KC longbeds are usually work trucks and nobody wants luxury on them.

·
Premium Member
76,514 Posts
I also don't think Nissan has to market things the way they do.. the pro4x to match fords fx4..

If anything nissan should get back to dealer installed options, lifts, shocks, nismo goodies.. Build the brand and aftermarket themselves... even audio upgrades, nav units.. they could pair up with local install shops. I guess the biggest concern would be quality, consistency, and cost. we've all been to the stealership and dealt with the geniuses there

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
You know what - WHATEVER to the big three. I really love being 1 in 60k+ Titans in the states. EVERY truck on the road around here is a big three (hardly any 'yodas either) so when I see a Titan on the road we wave to each other.

It's like when I rode bikes - you know that yeah "we know what's up driving our Nissan's."

As far as I'm concerned - they can continue the low sales to keep the average dumbsh*t from owning one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts