Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,351 Posts
very interesting... the problem with that is my keys are in one pocket and my phone in the other... but there's more then an inch there haha

i was reading somewhere (maybe here) that if you lock your keys in your truck, you can have some one call you on your cell phone with your spare set in their hands and hit the unlock, it's supposed to unlock your doors through the cell phone... i haven't been bored enough to try this yet....

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
DeadRiver i was reading somewhere (maybe here) that if you lock your keys in your truck said:
We were bored at work one day and tried it and it didn't work. I guess it is just another myth.

·
Registered
330 Posts
DeadRiver said:
very interesting... the problem with that is my keys are in one pocket and my phone in the other... but there's more then an inch there haha

i was reading somewhere (maybe here) that if you lock your keys in your truck, you can have some one call you on your cell phone with your spare set in their hands and hit the unlock, it's supposed to unlock your doors through the cell phone... i haven't been bored enough to try this yet....
I dunno how that would happen since they are on different frequencies. Also how would the frequency pass through a simple phone call? Even if it were possible the receiving cell phone would have to be left in the truck where you locked your keys in. And most cellphones that I know of are not known as "car phones" anymore.

Good thing for us Titan owners, we don't have to worry about this. Plus my wife just got a 2007 Sentra. The phones do not affect the i-keys for them. Sounds like an issue that Nissan needs to fix. Supposedly new keys are coming out in the fall. Guess they realize it IS their fault.

If I seem defensive it is probably due to the fact I work for Sprint Nextel, which seems to be the target of this complaint.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So the Titan uses this same technology?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I didn't think so, just wanted to make sure.

·
Super Moderator
159,635 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,351 Posts
GoombaJebboMT said:
I dunno how that would happen since they are on different frequencies. Also how would the frequency pass through a simple phone call? Even if it were possible the receiving cell phone would have to be left in the truck where you locked your keys in. And most cellphones that I know of are not known as "car phones" anymore.

If I seem defensive it is probably due to the fact I work for Sprint Nextel, which seems to be the target of this complaint.
i dunno either, seemed like crap to me but who knows. i don't understand why you think the phone would have to be in the truck for this to work, your fob doesn't why would your phone? that doesn't make much sense to me.

i'm sorry you work for nextel/sprint. i can safely say they suck except for the walkie talkie feature which is the only thing that seems to work, i notice the annoying chirp an awful lot. i'm allowed to say nextel sucks, i spent the better part of 3 years designing the MTSO in the north east.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
i cant remember the spesifics but one of our local news stations that tests new things out did the cellphone keyfob test and it did work. They were suprised that it did work.:fart:

·
Premium Member
92,288 Posts
cneary812 said:
i cant remember the spesifics but one of our local news stations that tests new things out did the cellphone keyfob test and it did work. They were suprised that it did work.:fart:
Not on all cars. That's the point. Some may work. Most won't.

·
Registered
330 Posts
DeadRiver said:
i dunno either, seemed like crap to me but who knows. i don't understand why you think the phone would have to be in the truck for this to work, your fob doesn't why would your phone? that doesn't make much sense to me.

i'm sorry you work for nextel/sprint. i can safely say they suck except for the walkie talkie feature which is the only thing that seems to work, i notice the annoying chirp an awful lot. i'm allowed to say nextel sucks, i spent the better part of 3 years designing the MTSO in the north east.
The reason I said the phone would have to be in the vehicle was because you would have to have some sort of "vessel" for the signal to travel other than by the keyfob. For the most part Sprint phones operate on 800MHz and 1.9 GHz. The keyfobs don't operate on those channels because those bands are licensed by the FCC. So I am still trying to figure out how the phones actually unlock some of the cars. Is it a Bluetooth issue that is allowing them to do it? That would make more sense to me since Bluetooth operates at either 2.4 or 2.5 GHz...one of those cant remember which.

·
Premium Member
73,351 Posts
ah, i see what you mean now... i was wondering how a fob signal would go through the phone, to the tower, through the switching office then to another tower, etc... until it reached your mobile phone... i'm not sure how the frequency is bounced through the switch gear itself...

thinking about all of this i'm glad i only had to design the floor plans

1 - 18 of 18 Posts