Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else just import a titan from the U.S.A.? Nissan Canada told me my warranty would transfer to Canada no problem but when I went to the local dealer they said sorry no warranty. Any others in the same predicament?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I believe the only restriction has to do with age/mileage, meaning you cannot bring a new vehicle from the US into Canada and keep the warranty. It needs to spend X number of days and/or miles registered in the US before it can be imported into Canada with the warranty. Don't quote me on that, though.

We had a couple come down from BC to buy our 2005 Quest, I don't remember if the warranty specifics were mentioned by them or not, but there was still 12mos/12k miles of warranty left on the vehicle when we sold it to them.

If the local dealer is giving you crap, I'd follow-up with Nissan Canada and see what they have to say as it's ultimately up to them, not the dealer, to decide if the warranty will be honored.

·
Registered
4 Posts
no they dont cover warr. in Canada you have to go back to the us. for warr. work.

I Looked in to it when I bought mine.(Well in Ottawa anyway)

Sorry dude but it sucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
JFYI,

When I was doing my research I contacted Nissan USA and essentially asked if I was to purchase a vehicle in the US and was transferred to Canada for work would my warranty be valid, and they said Yes. I then contacted Nissan Canada and they indicated that Yes my warranty would be valid so that's what I based my decision on. The stipulation was that the vehicle had to be registered in the US and Ownership not transferred for 6 Months. So I paid the Arizona state tax and registered the truck in AZ in order to keep the warranty intact. The fact is, I have not tried to get any warranty work done, so this is still to be proven, but even directly from the warranty outlined in the owners manal below in the bolded portion says that the warranty is VOID only if it is registered outside the US AND ownership transferred from the origional owner. I'm hoping this will be enough for them to honor the warranty. I would however be pretty PO'd if they still didn't honor the warranty. This is somewhat reflected in the APA (Automobile Protection Association) Canada. I can't post the URL, but if you do a google search for APA Canada it will give their website and then just click on the warranty checkmark. The call it "Delayed Warranty Coverage".

APPLICABILITY
■ This warranty is provided to the original and subsequent
owner(s) of a Nissan vehicle originally distributed by Nissan
which is originally sold by a Nissan authorized Nissan
dealership in the United States, and which is registered
in the U.S. and normally operated in the United States
(including Alaska and Hawaii), the United States territories
(specifi cally Guam, Saipan, American Samoa, Puerto Rico
and the U.S. Virgin Islands), and Canada.

■ This warranty is generally transferable from the original
‘owner other than a Nissan dealer’ (OWNER) to
subsequent owners of the vehicle at any time ownership of
the vehicle is transferred, without any action on your part;
except that this warranty is not transferable but is instead
void if during the fi rst six months after delivery to the original
OWNER: (1) ownership of the vehicle is transferred from
the original OWNER, AND (2) the vehicle is registered
outside of the United States.

Cheers,
Max

·
Registered
1 Posts
maximus01can said:
JFYI,

When I was doing my research I contacted Nissan USA and essentially asked if I was to purchase a vehicle in the US and was transferred to Canada for work would my warranty be valid, and they said Yes. I then contacted Nissan Canada and they indicated that Yes my warranty would be valid so that's what I based my decision on. The stipulation was that the vehicle had to be registered in the US and Ownership not transferred for 6 Months. So I paid the Arizona state tax and registered the truck in AZ in order to keep the warranty intact. The fact is, I have not tried to get any warranty work done, so this is still to be proven, but even directly from the warranty outlined in the owners manal below in the bolded portion says that the warranty is VOID only if it is registered outside the US AND ownership transferred from the origional owner. I'm hoping this will be enough for them to honor the warranty. I would however be pretty PO'd if they still didn't honor the warranty. This is somewhat reflected in the APA (Automobile Protection Association) Canada. I can't post the URL, but if you do a google search for APA Canada it will give their website and then just click on the warranty checkmark. The call it "Delayed Warranty Coverage".

APPLICABILITY
■ This warranty is provided to the original and subsequent
owner(s) of a Nissan vehicle originally distributed by Nissan
which is originally sold by a Nissan authorized Nissan
dealership in the United States, and which is registered
in the U.S. and normally operated in the United States
(including Alaska and Hawaii), the United States territories
(specifi cally Guam, Saipan, American Samoa, Puerto Rico
and the U.S. Virgin Islands), and Canada.

■ This warranty is generally transferable from the original
‘owner other than a Nissan dealer’ (OWNER) to
subsequent owners of the vehicle at any time ownership of
the vehicle is transferred, without any action on your part;
except that this warranty is not transferable but is instead
void if during the first six months after delivery to the original
OWNER: (1) ownership of the vehicle is transferred from
the original OWNER, AND (2) the vehicle is registered
outside of the United States.

Cheers,
Max
Does it means that if you buy a used Nissan older than 6 months in USA, the warranty is transferable? I'm not sure to understand
Wild Thing

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Warranty IS valid, if......
the only thing you have to watch for is...
that the vehicle that you're buying must have been registered in the USA for MORE than 6 months...

Some Canadian dealrs (not only Nissan) are trying to discourage us from going to the states...

In other words...it is void if it is a new vehicle....
They (Nissan) don't want Canadiens to buy theire new nissans in the Stats...that's all

As far as calling your local Canadian Dealer...you have to watch out...Some Canadian dealers won't deal with you simply because you bought the vehicle in the states instead from them.

I've called nissan USA and Nissan Canada....the warranty is valid....the month rule however is the only thing that will void your warranty...

I' ve called my Nissan Dealer in Winnipeg, and they've confiremd that the will do all waranty work on USA bought vehicles, no problem...

Every type of manufacuturer has a similar rule
My buddy just bought a Honda S 2000...His winnpeg Honda dealer would not even talk to him....He had to call Honda Canada and get them to intervene...
I've confirmed with both Nissan Canada and Nissan USA. Warranty is transferable...the trick is to find a non-disgrutled Canadian Dealer to do the work..
Call Nissan Canada and Nissan USA. they'll tell you the same thing..
they'll ask for you VIN and the whole bit...

hope this puts your mind at ease...

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
After the six months is up then your nissan dealer will have to call nissan & have the warranty transfered to nissan canada. I have had to do this with vehicles brought down from canada.

·
Registered
60 Posts
:cheers: I'm just now going throught that same predictiment! Bought my baby in dec 07 (before the really big price drops). Then was transfered in Feburary. I decide to let the company ship my vehicle up, still havent seen her almost five months now!! The issue was the bank, and paper work, but nonetheless, that may have saved my warranty!!! Otherwise it wouldn't have been six months from the purchase...
O'well she's on here way and its like getting a new truck all over again!!

THanks for the research guys!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well.....2 weeks was all it took.!!!!!

From the day I bought my Titan over the phone from an American Dealership to the day that I had my Manitoba plates on my new titan...

Talk about smooth, the whole thing went off withoug a hitch..

Here she is....2007 Titan LE Crew Cab (warranty valid in Canada)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just put the down a deposit on a used (11000 miles) 08 LE LWB Crew from Wayzata Nissan. I can't wait to go down to drive it back. I'll post pictures when I get it.

A friend of mine bough a new pathfinder just before christmas and had to put it into his brothers name who lives in Houston. Six months later he "bought" it from his brother, even though he had it up here and had been driving it for six months. Just to get a warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Novakoaster...That's great!!!!
I'm looking forward to the pics...
My salesman from Wayzata got his kid to drive it to Fargo for me..saved me 10 hours of driving. Signed the papers in a truck stop.

I ran into another Titan owner out of town...he had a 2007 Crew Cab SE that he bought in Winnpeg. When I told him what I paid for my 2007 LE, he almost **** himself....He paid close to $49,000.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am looking forward to the drive. I am going to fly down on the 24th or 25th and start to drive it back. It should take about 20 hours. My wife has already made a shopping list for when I go down. (Wayzata is about 15-20 minutes from the Mall of America)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am flying down on the 24th and driving back to just north of Edmonton. Should be about 19-20 hours driving. I have to make it to the Mall of America for my wife. She is eating up all of the savings with this deal with a shopping list for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just have to find an AUX adapter for my ipod before I go. No radio reception in places along the way, that would make for a long drive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
no they dont cover warr. in Canada you have to go back to the us. for warr. work.

I Looked in to it when I bought mine.(Well in Ottawa anyway)

Sorry dude but it sucks.
To Rusty -

Take your business out to Kanata. Tony Graham Nissan agreed to service my 2007 King LE prior to my buying (new) out of the USA.

I haven't had a need for any warranty work, but when I initially contacted the service manager he took a few days to get back to me, but ultimately confirmed he could do valid warranty work and simply forward his claims to Nissan USA instead.

-Tiny

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just thought I would throw my experience in here.

I bought a 2005 Titan CC SE 4x4 in 2006 in Kansas and drove it back to Manitoba where it is now registered and insured. This was before the dollar difference was so crazy so not many people were importing vehicles yet, heck the border crossing I used hadn't even processed an imported vehicle before.

I was using the Nissan Dealership in Steinbach Manitoba called Eastern Nissan (sadly they are out of business now). While I had some early problems with them getting some warranty work done, eventually they were ok with it and I had my front differential replaced, some updates done, and my rear bumper replaced all on warranty. Fast forward a year later and they changed service managers, and vehicles imported from the states were flooding into the area, totally different story when I took it in for some steering rack issues I was having. They were very resistant to even looking at my truck, and I had to take it in 3 times for them to address the problems, THEN they gave me a bill for the warranty work saying that I had to take it up with Nissan myself, and that they wouldn't be bothered to process it. (I never paid it in the end)

Ok, so here we are a year later again, still loving my truck, but I need a few minor things fixed on warranty (my damn rear bumper is rusting away AGAIN), so I take it into the Nissan Dealership in Yorkton, SK. This is by far my WORST dealer experience ever. The service manager looks outside and see's the dealership emblem from Kansas where the truck was originally sold and says "is that an american vehicle", I said "yeah it is". He says "you might as well just get it out of here", I say "excuse me?", he says "its a nightmare dealing with US VIN numbers so we're just not even going to look at your truck, you'll have to take it somewhere else". I argued with him for a bit, citing my dealings with Eastern Nissan and previous warranty claims that went through ok, and he just basically tells me to get lost.

So anyways, though your warranty may be completely valid in Canada, it might be in your best interest to see if your local dealership has a good customer service record as they may try and jerk you around with warranty claims. I mean honestly, even if I called Nissan and forced the dealership to work on my vehicle, would I really be wanting them touching my truck with that kind of attitude? I guess if I have problems I will have to take it to Winnipeg or Regina.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Gentle Ben :

You should get your warranty work done at Ortynsky NIssan in Winnipeg. (Regent Avenue).
That's where I bring my American bought Titan...
NO problems there at all, I even spoke to them before buying the truck in the USA.
You're right though, there are some dealerships (not only Nissan) around that make things difficult for some people

Ortynsky Nissan....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts