Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Always loved Nissan vehicles especially trucks. Started with '07 King Cab then '12 SLE and not '17 SL. Love the '17 as there haven't been any issues others have said they have. Thought I read about a myriad of issues somewhere. The sales numbers for Nissan are still very bad for Titans and the other vehicles are starting to tumble too. With the issues going on at Nissan in general (Ghosn, Renault etc.), it wouldn't surprise me at some point they pull the plug on full size trucks. That being said, I hope they don't. I hope the choose a different strategy. I always thought the strategy should be to come in competitively priced. I mean really competitive ( 15K under F150) as example. Give a reason for people to switch brands rather than just sell to your loyal base. They would benefit on back-end at the service center, parts etc. I also believe they don't update the truck looks often enough. In my opinion the newest models look exactly like the '16 models with few minor tweaks. They should offer a different grill and tweak the front end a bit as it seems long when looking at it from the side. They finally have a decent infotainment system as that has always been a joke in a Titan. Then of course the gas mileage. Somehow, someway you're telling me Nissan doesn't have the technology to build an engine that is powerful but can get 20mpg?

Anyways what are everyones thoughts and where you think Nissan missed on new Titans and where you think they should go?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nissan-results/nissan-set-for-weakest-profit-in-11-years-as-ghosn-woes-bleak-sales-weigh-idUSKCN1SK0V7

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
In my opinion it started with the CVT transmissions. They are garbage and Nissan dove in head first. I had a MIT. Outlander 2011 and I hated that transmission if you slammed the brakes on the vehicle wouldn’t move for about a minute which is a lifetime on a highway. I almost hit a deer. They are noisy and have all kinds of acceleration and shifting issues. They are horrible in vehicles bigger than a small SUV. Then Nissan design really messed up the looks of some of the cars. Pathfinder was a huge mistake. Getting rid of the Xterra. They waited to long to redo the Titan and still messed that up (engine, vibration, overpriced). The Titan in 04 was a game changer but they dropped the ball on the momentum. High end vehicles are your money maker they have to be solid from the word go. If they aren’t selling Titans and Armadas then they aren’t making money. Sounds like they are over producing them too as people have reported Vehicles sitting in fields with no where to go. It’s a shame really I have had four Titans and a Frontier. Loved everyone of them. The wife lived the Rouge and the Quest but the CVT and price of the Quest were a no. She bought a Mazda 6 for dirt cheap 24,000 and that car MOVES the pedal response is sick and handling is insane. There has to be conspiring going on among the automakers that no one will price a vehicle so low it takes away from others business. That was a huge reason I bought a Titan in 04 2000-3000 less than the others by far with more truck standard. This talk of a deal with Chrysler and this low profit news really have me worried. If they merge or start making Trucks on a Ram platform I will never buy a new Nissan just keep buying used Titans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The sales numbers for the second gen are low but consistently higher than gen 1 trucks. And they built gen 1 trucks for 11 years.

And there is also this.
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1122913_2020-nissan-titan-spy-shots

Those pics are funny obvious teaser pics released by Nissan some Shmo didn’t just get lucky. How did they get inside the truck why is the driver so obscured or is there even a driver in it lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Rob!

I like the updates to the 2020. Thanks for that link. I tried searching for Titan updates prior ot my post but didn't search correctly I guess LOL. Was just saying waiting 5 yrs might have been too long. But maybe with all the crap going on with Ghosn and Renault it delayed what they really wanted to do. I've always liked the interiors of the Titan sans the infotainment system. It's always had a nice modern look and feel. Good news on the front end and rear lights. Little updates there can go a long way. It's just when you look at current models from one angle they look badass. Then you slightly change the angle and they look weird. Mainly the front end. Like it overhangs too much. This one kinda stays the same in that regard, but updated grill will be nice. Looks like they are bringing in the rear lights so they don't stick out so much.

Thanks for sharing link!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noel,

Agree 100%. You summed my feeling up in a nutshell. I love the Titan. I kinda like it's the 'oddball' and not everyrone has one, but I worry sales are so low it just goes away completely. There has to be a certain sales level for Nissan to keep going on it and not give up. Hell, I tried to get a new infotainment system from CarToys, Quality Auto Sound etc. You name it. Couldn't update it as nobody makes a insert for it. There is no market I guess so the manufacturers of the inserts or whatever you call it, pass and don't even bother. Sucks I had a sweet deck picked out with Android Car or whatever. Would have been badass. I just want enough sales so I can get after market parts etc.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The first generation Titan was awesome when it was introduced. Problems:

1. Nissan short-cutted some stupid areas. Putting mini-truck brakes on a full-size truck. Dinky rear axles. Cheap stamped exhaust manifolds.
2. Nissan didn't think through the interior construction good enough. Rattles, squeaks and falling apart plastics in the interior were from the word go.
3. Nissan didn't act fast enough to fix the shortcomings. The manifolds never really got fixed. Took almost 5 years to go to better brakes. Same with the rear axles.
4. Nissan did virtually nothing to support or promote sales on the Titan. Frankly, I was surprised they never just pulled the plug.

I loved the Titan. Actually, I still do. I was trying my damndest to find a good 13-15 model to replace my 04 but when you only sell 40,000 trucks total in 3 years there's not a whole lot of used options. That's how I ended up in a 2019 Ram. The updated Titan looks like a turd IMO. The original Titan had the basics down pat - great looks, great drivetrain, and all kinds of neat innovative stuff. Then they just let it wither on the vine. It wasn't inevitable - they sold over 300k Titans in the first 4 years. They just didn't want to put any money, advertising, or effort into the vehicle. The fact that sales are already depressed on this updated vehicle just a little over 2 full years in is pathetic.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The first generation Titan was awesome when it was introduced. Problems:

1. Nissan short-cutted some stupid areas. Putting mini-truck brakes on a full-size truck. Dinky rear axles. Cheap stamped exhaust manifolds.
2. Nissan didn't think through the interior construction good enough. Rattles, squeaks and falling apart plastics in the interior were from the word go.
3. Nissan didn't act fast enough to fix the shortcomings. The manifolds never really got fixed. Took almost 5 years to go to better brakes. Same with the rear axles.
4. Nissan did virtually nothing to support or promote sales on the Titan. Frankly, I was surprised they never just pulled the plug.
I might be the lone holdout on this group with an early-early Gen 1 truck. Still have it, still drive it, although not near as much as I used to.

Agree that the brakes are sh!t. Mine were mushy from the third month of ownership, are still that way. Freaking scary when you're towing a travel trailer. Have to hit them twice to stop, but it's something you get used to. (I've driven COE F800s from the 60's and this is nothing new)

Agree that the interior materials are sh!t. Seat's worn out, but I'm not going to put the money into a replacement for a truck that's only worth $4K on a good day.

Agree that they should have moved to a different supplier on the manifolds. It doesn't seem to be commonly known that these AREN'T made by Nissan; they should have fired that supplier and got something better.

To pile on: The [email protected] transmissions are fussy. They're stout, but fussy. There is no way to properly service them, to R&R fluids and filters. This should have been designed-in, INCLUDING A DECENT FILTER. This Is Not Hard! GM trannies can be serviced; have had this capability since Hydramatic days. And servicing the tranny can screw up the valve body, which is what happened to mine. THIS. IS. STUPID.

To pile on more: The paint is sh!t. The only good spots left on mine are where collision damage was repaired by a good, competent shop who knows how to handle clearcoat.

I've never seen Nissan promote their trucks much, although since the early 60's they have been far superior to anything out there. Better designed, better to drive. Fun, actually. Datsun/Nissan always treated the trucks like a sports car with a bed. I've worked on 1300s and 1500s, and there are still some of them out there still running. Had a 620, and it had the same engine as the Datsun 2000 sports car, only carbed and cammed differently. GREAT truck. Went over 250,000 miles with it, long after Toyotas and Mazdas of the time were rusting away in junkyards. Toyota has since woke up to the fact that trucks can be a source of revenue; designing them to last instead of just to sell and turn to rust. Mazda got super-smart and partnered with Ford to build... the Ranger. 'Nuff said, there.

Now, when the Titan trucks came out, they handled and drove superior to anything out there. Caught the Big Three completely flatfooted. Ford had to SUPERCHARGE their engines to even keep up with the Titan. The Titan also had the lead in towing capability. 9500 versus 7500 on the others. Now... :frown:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The CVT isn't bad for us so far. Had a Maxima to 45k and a Pathfinder for almost 10k now. Pathfinder we picked up for basically the same price as a Mazda CX-9 that we were looking at, and I got a 20 year/250k mile warranty on the Pathfinder for free. Can't turn down a car that can still be under warranty by the time my current 2 year old can drive it. The gas mileage is not as good as the CX-9 and the entertainment system is not on par, but not many SUV's that size can tow 6k pounds so I went with the beefier engine.

Rogue, Altima, Sentra are Nissan's bread and butter. They'll focus on those, and just hope for the best on the rest. In my opinion they sh!t the bed with the Xterra marketing. My brother has a manual Pro4X, and it's a beast of a vehicle. Could give any jeep with similar mods a run for its money, plus it has more storage.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You haven’t owned the CVT long enough. Don’t tow anything with it you’ll kill it. I could take a **** in a box and put a guarantee on it but all you’d have is a guaranteed box of ****. You won’t own that Pathfinder long enough for your kid to use it. I agree the Xterra was a beast and they dropped the ball with it. They needed a engine that got better mpg. They could have taken some market from Jeep.

Nissan made that commercial thanking the big three for showing the way then NOTHING. Where was the ad campaign pushing the truck history of innovation and how it was gonna reinvent the truck again etc... blah blah blah. Instead some yuppy millennial tells me the best tech is in my driveway. Really Nissan tech sucks!!!! Talk about selling the worst feature of your vehicles. Still love the damn truck on my fourth one can’t see owning any other truck ever

·
Registered
909 Posts
Despite all the naysayers on this thread, I think Nissan will continue to produce and develop the Titan. Nissan has worked hard to become a full line car manufacturer and the Titan fills a market segment that's hot right now. While it hasn't been a big seller, compare its production numbers to many other Nissans or Infinitis and you'll find the Titan fits a relatively large market segment. Look for the V6 Titan to debut at some point and other refinements to the line to show up in the next few years.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Despite all the naysayers on this thread, I think Nissan will continue to produce and develop the Titan. Nissan has worked hard to become a full line car manufacturer and the Titan fills a market segment that's hot right now. While it hasn't been a big seller, compare its production numbers to many other Nissans or Infinitis and you'll find the Titan fits a relatively large market segment. Look for the V6 Titan to debut at some point and other refinements to the line to show up in the next few years.
I don't think it's naysayers so much as realists. The ancient-*** Frontier still outsells the Titan, despite being on the same platform now for almost 15 years. And that's not saying much since Frontier sales numbers are pretty lame for the class. More Rams - the 3rd place truck historically - are sold in a month than the Titan sells in a year. Forget about comparing it to Ford and GM. Even the dated Tundra outsells the Titan 2-1.

I loved the first generation. I owned two of them for 15 years. Even after sending it on its way it was still a pretty good truck. It just never got any traction. Nissan is good at thinking **** up and then letting it die for lack of support. We for sure wouldn't have the full-size trucks we have today if not for the Titan, so they definitely move the market in a good direction. It's just a shame they can't take a good product and give it enough support so that it could sell enough vehicles to be viable long-term.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I don't think it's naysayers so much as realists. The ancient-*** Frontier still outsells the Titan, despite being on the same platform now for almost 15 years. And that's not saying much since Frontier sales numbers are pretty lame for the class. More Rams - the 3rd place truck historically - are sold in a month than the Titan sells in a year. Forget about comparing it to Ford and GM. Even the dated Tundra outsells the Titan 2-1.

I loved the first generation. I owned two of them for 15 years. Even after sending it on its way it was still a pretty good truck. It just never got any traction. Nissan is good at thinking **** up and then letting it die for lack of support. We for sure wouldn't have the full-size trucks we have today if not for the Titan, so they definitely move the market in a good direction. It's just a shame they can't take a good product and give it enough support so that it could sell enough vehicles to be viable long-term.
There's no doubt that Nissan has made several marketing mistakes. But "realists" or not, I still believe that Nissan will remain in the full-size truck market with the Titan. Your point with the Frontier is a valid one, and shows that having a "back-to-basics" mid-size truck shows how an older vehicle still can sell. I continue to think the current Titan will remain in the Nissan lineup for years to come.

BTW- I still love my first gen LWB KC Titan as well. It's unique and will remain as my primary tow vehicle for years to come.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ALL manufacturers have their issues, every single 1 of them. I remember the v10 that used to be in the ram and the oil sieve it was. Woulda thought a harley had parked in the spot with the way it leaked. Ford makes boring crap. Chevy made stuff that rusted out in a handful of years.
My 04 has had a hard life as a farm truck. That said, while I have had it, there has been little issue with it. Wheel bearing went out. I've done 2 on my hhr, at less miles. Windows need work. I've seen a window leave its track and drop inside the door and shatter, on a different brand.

The single biggest issue with the titan is lack of marketing. Nissan only seems to know to market that anemic Kicks. Occasionally, I see rogue/sentra/altima, rarely anything else. Sad thing is it is nissan USA that is screwing this up. They should know that the average American has the attention span and memory of a sparrow. If you want to see, you have to market. They don't seem to get this.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
There's no doubt that Nissan has made several marketing mistakes. But "realists" or not, I still believe that Nissan will remain in the full-size truck market with the Titan. Your point with the Frontier is a valid one, and shows that having a "back-to-basics" mid-size truck shows how an older vehicle still can sell. I continue to think the current Titan will remain in the Nissan lineup for years to come.

BTW- I still love my first gen LWB KC Titan as well. It's unique and will remain as my primary tow vehicle for years to come.
I suppose we'll see - I have my doubts about the long-term prospects for the Titan. I guess it depends how much profit is there. Certainly car companies sell vehicles for stature as much as profit (look at the Miata). As for the Frontier, I've long advocated for vehicles on the same platform and design for long stretches for the advantage of the consumer - more parts, kinks worked out, track record on what works, what breaks, etc - but the reality of the car market is that anything that's got more than 4 or 5 years on it is archaic today. Supposedly the Frontier is getting updated next year. Nissan's track record of timely market introductions sucks so I'll believe it when I see it. And, naturally, instead of owning the mid-size market as just about the only truck left there, they sat around on their *** and waited until Ford brought a redesigned Ranger back, and Jeep is coming out with something, and Honda brought the Ridgeline back, and even Chevy redesigned the Colorado 6 or 7 years ago. Now the Frontier is a freaking dinosaur and market share is going to be parceled out to nothing. Frontier will only eat Titan sales.

If someone could take Nissan's design engineers and couple them with Mazda or Kia's marketing group it would be a hell of a car company.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
ALL manufacturers have their issues, every single 1 of them. I remember the v10 that used to be in the ram and the oil sieve it was. Woulda thought a harley had parked in the spot with the way it leaked. Ford makes boring crap. Chevy made stuff that rusted out in a handful of years.
My 04 has had a hard life as a farm truck. That said, while I have had it, there has been little issue with it. Wheel bearing went out. I've done 2 on my hhr, at less miles. Windows need work. I've seen a window leave its track and drop inside the door and shatter, on a different brand.

The single biggest issue with the titan is lack of marketing. Nissan only seems to know to market that anemic Kicks. Occasionally, I see rogue/sentra/altima, rarely anything else. Sad thing is it is nissan USA that is screwing this up. They should know that the average American has the attention span and memory of a sparrow. If you want to see, you have to market. They don't seem to get this.
Ford makes boring stuff ? Their technically is off the charts. Not to mention the Raptor...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
But now the greatest tech is in your driveway lol. Notice all the commercials with the Titan in it but they don’t mentioned it. Treat it like an ugly step child people will see it that way no matter how great it is.

Now that the Engine is figured out they should market the shizzle out of the Titan. But no they won’t. The new Front ire will probably look like some aerodynamic piece of garbage with no bed. If they sold the Pro4X with a long bed I think the Frontier sales would have doubled. That six cylinder in the Frontier for ever why hasn’t it been put in the Titan. They should have made all Titans the size of the XD and just had the option to buy it with an upgrade package to 5/8. One body then they should have had a 6 cyl. Right off the bat on second gen. Lastly they should be under cutting the competition on price 2,000-3,000 below everyone else. You gotta get people in the truck for at least a test drive but if you can’t wow them from the get go oh well. I am starting to see more where I live and most are lifted and plasti dipped with new rims and tires.

·
Premium Member
92,429 Posts
"The camouflage gear suggests the Titan will receive new fascias at both ends, which is a good thing given the slightly oddball styling of the current model."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ford makes boring stuff ? Their technically is off the charts. Not to mention the Raptor...
Nope, boring junk unless you want to pay an arm and leg. I've owned 2 fords and both were huge mistakes. I've driven other fords and they were dogs to drive. Nothing to endear them in any way. And for the price of a raptor, ohh ahh, a f150 with buffed body work. A $52,000 toy with a crap engine. I could take a few years old xterra and make it my own, get better off-road and STILL have money left over.
If I ever own a ford again, it'll be because I won it, and then it will only be long enough to sell it. I'd take a dodge with no motor, that I have to Fred Flintstone. At least I'd still get exercise out of it, which is more than I'd get from any ford.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts