Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles is everyone getting out of their nitto terra grapplers & how far do you run them down to? Even with the wear bars? When the nubs wear off? To abe lincoln's hair line? When you can see the air?

·
Registered
827 Posts
*subscribed*

·
Registered
777 Posts
Can't help much...I have about 3K on mine and they still have some nipples.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I got 36k out of mine rotating them every 5k miles. If I wanted to run them till they were bald though, I probably could have gotten another 10k out of them...

The roads in FL are really tough on tires though between the heat and the fact that they put crushed shells in the pavement.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I put mine on my 08 at 27,xxx miles and traded the truck in at 56,xxx miles and I'd say they still had at least half the tread depth remaining and still handled great in the rain.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have still have mine on my stock rims and they have close to 56k on them with about 5/32 left on the tread. Great tire!

·
Registered
78 Posts
On my second set of Grapplers and changed them I believe at about 42K.
Love the tire.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
So far I have 22,534 miles on my Terra Grappler A/T's, and I think they will be shot by 35K miles. I had thought about 30K miles but they seem to be holding their own. Their rain traction is also much better this second rainy season after having them siped a few months back. LT305/70R17E on 17x8" aftermarket rims. Btw, almost all country roads with some very curvy, s-curves, and a few 90's marked at 10 or 15 mph. Maybe 100 miles of freeway ...

Not sure if I would buy the Terra's again, because in addition to their only fair mileage, their wet and dry traction on road and off were not as good as the Toyo M/T, or for the BFG KO, (for their 1st 33K miles*), but they are priced lower, so they might end up costing less per mile than say a Toyo, even if the Toyo lasts longer. Even though I kinda hate the Terra's, they are not terrible, just expected more from all the hype. I might even buy their LT295/70R17D since it's is the only D load rated A/T in that size, (the Hankook ATm RF10 is a 7 lbs. heavier E-load rated tire ... it gets good press too).

I've listed my other tires' data, for comparison.
Just before the Terra Grapplers', I ran my Toyo M/T's to the wear bars, and with aftermarket siping they still were good in the rain even then ... 37K miles. LT295/70R17E !7x7.5" OR rims.

BFG A/T KO lasted me 33K miles*. Still had 1/4 of their tread left but they got crazy slick in the rain ... even just turning corners on city streets, and turning onto a busy 2 lane highway was really scary. They were fine the previous rainy season. [They never had the aftermarket siping]. Even tried 300 lbs. of sand in the bed and no difference. Still probably worth the money though. LT285/70R17D on the OR rims. [I don't see them anymore with the OWL lettering and Mnt/snowflake except in the E load capacity. I would probably run them again if I could find them with that combination, but wish that the had them in a 295].

BFG Rugged Trails, an all season tire, came as stock with the OR pkg, 23K miles, but other than their very short life they were an okay tire ... IIRC they had better dry traction than my current Terra's. P285/70R17 on the OR rims.

They all have their positives and negatives, stock's light weight, but short life; the KO's excellent dry handling, toughness, and off road performance, but their geriatric slickness; the Toyo M/T's toughness, great looks, long treadlife for a M/T, but their high cost and massive weight that cost 2 mpg compared to stock; and the Terra's, being less expensive than some, look decent and lighter than most in the sizes I'm interested in anyhow, but just average in treadlife, plus just average on and especially off road performance, (dirt and loose rock).​

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey norcal, I have the toyo m/t's that I've been running all winter, and so far they have been great in the snow and mud. I have a set of 17 inch stock offroad rims that I want to put some a/t tires on for the summer time so I don't burn up my $1600 toyo m/t's on the summer pavement. So I was thinking either nitto terra grappler, toyo a/t, or bfg a/t. But it seems like everone I know that have had the bfg's say they don't get many miles out of them.

So, do you have any experience with the toyo a/t, and if so which a/t would you reccommend. If you have any other reccommendations, I'm open for other options. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Hey norcal, I have the toyo m/t's that I've been running all winter, and so far they have been great in the snow and mud. I have a set of 17 inch stock offroad rims that I want to put some a/t tires on for the summer time so I don't burn up my $1600 toyo m/t's on the summer pavement. So I was thinking either nitto terra grappler, toyo a/t, or bfg a/t. But it seems like everone I know that have had the bfg's say they don't get many miles out of them.

So, do you have any experience with the toyo a/t, and if so which a/t would you reccommend. If you have any other reccommendations, I'm open for other options. Thanks in advance.
I'm still trying to decide what's next.

I was considering doing something similar to that too ... putting the 34" Terra's on my OR rims for off roading, but going with a stock size P285/70R17 Kumho SAT KL61 for commuting since they are only 44 pounds, so it would save me about 1¼ mpg. But having to swap the wheels just to go off roading wouldn't be fun, and the KL61's might turn out to be better anyway. And if running a 33" I would probably drop it a half an inch in the front and back.

But for a twice a year wheel change, that sounds like a good plan. But if gas goes up too much I still might try the KL61.

Not saying you do, but some other people confuse the all season OEM BFG Rugged Trails with the BFG A/T KO, so maybe some of those saying poor mileage out of them were calling the Rugged Trails an A/T, which they are not. I've only heard of a few people, besides myself, saying that with the KO theirs got too slick while still having plenty of tread, and on the on-line tire site reviews, there are a lot that get very high mileage out of them.

The Toyo A/T would be similar to the Terra, although tread compound might differ, but Toyo is their premium line, (and their LT 17's have a tread wear warranty), then Nitto, followed by Maxxis.

So, I'm kind of leaning towards year round with the Nitto Terra in the LT295/70R17D, or the Hankook ATm RF10 in the 7 lbs. heavier LT295/70R17E, since they are a little taller than the LT285/70R17.

In the LT285/70R17D there are two A/T's from Falken that have tread wear warranties and look good on paper ... one's the Wild Peak and the other the High Country. Both weigh in at around 62 pounds so are just as heavy as the 295 ATm RF10, and my current 34's, but have the potentially nicer ride of the D load.

So most likely a LT295/70R17 ATm RF10 or Terra, or in the LT285/70R17D, the Toyo A/T, or one of the Falken A/T's, and possibly the KL61 in the P285/70R17 with some type of 33" to 33.5" M/T for play ... BFG KM2, even a Mud Grappler or IROK.

Let me know what you end up with for summer tires.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A friend of mine has a GMC HD and has almost 60,000 on the Nittos with consistent rotating. If you keep an eye on the pressures and rotate they should last you a while. I'll be getting mine in a month or so.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had a set of Terra Grapplers on my 2000 Super Duty Powerstroke 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed, lifted 6" with 35's and full Steel replacement bumpers. Those tires lasted 38,000 before I replaced them on that Heavy truck! Good tires!!
That's why I just ordered the Trail Grappler MT's for the Titan last week. Nitto makes a good tire!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I've only heard of a few people, besides myself, saying that with the KO theirs got too slick while still having plenty of tread, and on the on-line tire site reviews, there are a lot that get very high mileage out of them.
I have 285/70/17 AT KO's and I have about 40,000 miles on the tires. The tread life is insane still have 20,000 to go if I want but the tires are down right dangerous at this point. I swear every time it rains I fear for my life. Been getting a lot of snow in the last month and the tires are great but not it the rain go figure???

·
Registered
745 Posts
25k miles and they look great...I take care of them though, no burn outs, keep them rotated and the PSI up in them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have 64k miles on mine, a few rotations and they still have a few more miles on them. im going to get new ones in a few months after some lift. these tires have done a great job for me, last night i retrieved over 15 cars from the blizzard we had in illinois. they dig down and get me movin no problem. i was in drifted snow half way up my doors and just kept rockin.

for the price you cant beat them in my opinion

·
Registered
128 Posts
If we are talking fuel mileage... then not that great :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a new set today, so I'll fill you in on my story.

Purchased my first set at 99,331 on an '04 Titan SE in Sept 2010, traded the truck in Apr 2011 with 110,972 and did a complete swap to the new '11 Titan SV. Rotated every 5-6K and finally retired them at 87,264 current mileage on my '11.

Grand total of 98,905 miles on my set of Terra Grappler AT's. Couldn't be happier. I made a special trip to the dealership where I bought my new truck just to verify the mileage on my trade so I could do the final tally. Pretty impressive.

Most everyone I'm seeing is getting around 50K

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would hope I get more than 50k miles on my Terra Grappler G2's sobe they are LT 285/70/17. They should make a difference in mpg since they only weigh a few pounds more than my current LT 265/70/17 tires I have now. I only go off roading every once in a while so they should last.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts