Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Nitto Trail Grapplers and they are awesome in the mud, rain and dry roads. Now my question is are they good in snow? I have 2wd and was wondering how these tires will do? I know how to drive in the snow and i put 300lbs in the bed to help out.

·
Registered
786 Posts
those have zero sipping so in theory they should suck, but i don't know what to think any more. i hear so many conflicting opinions on mud tires in the snow.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
How would I know I live on the beach? :dunno: lmao... I do know they LOVE to DIG in the sand so I can assume they would perform the same in the snow...

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Air them down to 12 psi , (less would be better but losing the bead would sux), and they should do fine in deep snow or in dunes. Helps on ice too. siping helps on rain wet roads and packed snow, but won't help the much in the deep stuff, or on ice. My old Toyo M/T's were re-siped the day before a snow run, but on a sheet ice hill, I was wishing I had a studded tire. The following year with my Terra Grapplers, and Fox Delta on 37 M/Ts ... we kept getting stuck on the ice. We asked a jeep guy with big Toyo M/T's how he was able to not get stuck on the ice and he said we needed to air down to at the most 14 psi, he had beadlocks and had 6 psi in his.

Btw, when I was a teenager a friend had a International 2wd panel truck, think it was 3/4 ton but Idk. His tires were probably an A/T if they had them back in those days, and he was able to go on the sand hwy. in the dunes at Pismo by just airing down. Not climbing dune faces, but riding the ridges.

·
Registered
615 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I ran my siped Toyo M/Ts for 37K miles on curvy country roads, and in the rain they never broke loose on the S-curves. I ran them to the wear bars and they still held great.

My new Nitto Terra Grappler A/T's didn't do nearly as well last rainy season, but I had them siped a couple of months back in preparation for this season. Today I put them to the test and they did much better. Only broke loose at small amount at one stop sign and on a couple of curves without anything around I pushed them and they gripped great.

I wouldn't call that article "good" but obviously biased against it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just had my trails installed today. They chew through hard pack, 3 foot drifts, and mushy snow/sand/salt with ease. I hit the brakes hard on an icy section at lunch today to test them out, and they stopped better than my Rugged Terrains did at 75% worn, and they stopped way better than my STi does in summers, lol. The abs kicked in during the last 10 feet sporadically, but the short stopping distance actually surprised me.

I found it takes quite a bit more throttle to kick out the rear end in 2wd and 4wd "drifts" also require even more throttle to get the beast sideways. I'm happy with my decision in the middle of a blizzard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts