Nissan Titan Forum banner

Nitto Trail or Terra?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
295/70/17....post pics

I am a daily driver with my T..I want the aggressive look but want a long lasting tire. I dont care about how loud they are. I want to know whats better about the two and why I should choose one over the other.

·
Registered
14,164 Posts
terras will last you longer. but arent as aggressive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On my second set of Terras and plenty stout for hunting fishing and some off road. They are really quiet on the highway for all terrains and have been great for me. Much better ride than the Radial T/A's.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I'm in the same dilemma looking at the same size tires. I love the side wall look of the trails but the terra's make way more sense for everyday driving. The terra is going to beat the trail in every on road category. The only thing that the trail wins is off road and aggressive looks. I wish Nitto would get rid of the terra lightning bolts and make the side wall more like the trails.
An aggressive looking sidewall wall with sips for rain and the tight pattern to keep the tires quiet.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Kumho Road Venture MT KL71

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My mind is still not made up for sure. I really like the aggressiveness of the trails but terras make more sense since I dont do any off roading.

I'm in the same dilemma looking at the same size tires. I love the side wall look of the trails but the terra's make way more sense for everyday driving. The terra is going to beat the trail in every on road category. The only thing that the trail wins is off road and aggressive looks. I wish Nitto would get rid of the terra lightning bolts and make the side wall more like the trails.
An aggressive looking sidewall wall with sips for rain and the tight pattern to keep the tires quiet.
I agree completely.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have some friends who rave about the Hankook AT's. You may want to check them out and they have a pretty aggressive look.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Completely different tires...I've had both and it depends on what you want.

As far as the wear goes, I got about 36k out of my Terras. My Trails have about 10k on them now and so far they look like they're going to last about the same.

I had both tires in the LT version and I can tell you I really have zero complaints about either, they're both awesome tires. Here are a couple observations...

The Trails are much louder on the highway.
The Terra's have better wet traction.
Dry traction seems to be the same for both.
The Trails look much nicer IMO.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I ran the Toyo M/T LT295/70R17, (same casing I believe as the Trail), for mostly on road commuting, (country roads with a large part of it really curvy). They handled the curves great and lasted me 37K miles. Their one drawback is they are the heaviest of the LT295/70R17's at 73 lbs. and this cost me 2 mpg loss over the stock tires. The Trails are only 2 lbs. less the the Toyo.

I also, ran the 58 lbs BFG A/T KO in the LT285/70R17, which are 3 lbs. heavier the the Nitto Terra Grappler A/T, (55 lbs. and the lightest LT295/70R17). I only lost 1 mpg compared to stock, with the KO.

My Terra's are wearing fast and have less grip on road and off, than the Toyo's or the KO's, (but the KO's got too slick in the rain at their last 1/4 tread). I had the Terra's siped recently, and that has helped in the rain, but the Toyo M/T's did better. The Tread compound on the two sizes of Terra's and Toyo vs. the Trails might be different though. And the 295. Many Terra's are from the USA, but mine are from Japan.

So overall, I'm not that impressed with my current Terra's, but I am considering them in the 295, but also the 7 lbs. heavier LT295/70R17E Hankook ATm RF10. The Terra's having the D load rating in this size would likely ride a little softer and get ½ mpg better gas mileage than the RF10.

The Toyo M/T's (and the Trails), are also an E-rated tire with very stiff sidewalls, but not that worse riding than my old KO's which were a D load, but also had 3-Ply sidewalls.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Completely different tires...I've had both and it depends on what you want.

As far as the wear goes, I got about 36k out of my Terras. My Trails have about 10k on them now and so far they look like they're going to last about the same.

I had both tires in the LT version and I can tell you I really have zero complaints about either, they're both awesome tires. Here are a couple observations...

The Trails are much louder on the highway.
The Terra's have better wet traction.
Dry traction seems to be the same for both.
The Trails look much nicer IMO.
Thanks for some driver input on these tires. So now what drive the "cool" trails or the "smart" terra's since in my area it rains about 150 days a year. I would be 100% pavement so guess I would need to get use to the hum or turn the radio up with the trails. I don't like the rain with BFG AT's I can't imagine what the trails would be.

Maybe like others have posted should look at a different brand tire.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Thanks for some driver input on these tires. So now what drive the "cool" trails or the "smart" terra's since in my area it rains about 150 days a year. I would be 100% pavement so guess I would need to get use to the hum or turn the radio up with the trails. I don't like the rain with BFG AT's I can't imagine what the trails would be.

Maybe like others have posted should look at a different brand tire.
It's funny, there's been some debate on this as far as the Terra's wet traction...many find it poor, but I thought it was unreal...maybe it was due to the larger, wider size I was running, but I would try to get them to break free in the rain and I couldn't. I also have pulled my boat up some really steep, algae covered ramps and they never flinched...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts