Nissan Titan Forum banner

No brakes on ice and snow

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  DeadRiver 
#1 ·
Tryed my 4x4 for the first time,noticed a rubbing sound when braking in the snow. Took it out of 4x4, and it's worse in 2WD. I came to a red light and tryed to stop, it was making a shuddering sound and the brake pedal was pushing back!. I have not noticed this on dry payment, only on slick roads. It seems are Titan's have chronic brake issue's,don't know what too do!

#2 ·
Its normal for the brake pedal to pulsate and vibrate on any vehicle with ABS when in the snow, don't know what the rubbing would be, take it to the dealer.

#3 ·
You are kidding me right? Holy cow! Never had ABS before? It's not like you're throwing out an anchor. It "modulates" the pressure so your tires don't lose grip. Yes, you WILL slide, but it will be more controled and you will continue going straight. You can also still steer. That's what ABS will do for you, not stop you on a dime in ice or snow.

#4 ·
No one can stop on ice and snow like they can on dry pavement.

Look up ABS on the internet and learn a few things.

Having a 4X4 and not knowing how to use it is worse than having a 4X2 because you will attempt to do things you shouldn't.

Be safe by being smart first.

Good luck, we all have to learn, some of us the hard way. Don't let that be you.

#5 ·
Blackbeauty said:
You are kidding me right? Holy cow! Never had ABS before? It's not like you're throwing out an anchor. It "modulates" the pressure so your tires don't lose grip. Yes, you WILL slide, but it will be more controled and you will continue going straight. You can also still steer. That's what ABS will do for you, not stop you on a dime in ice or snow.
you're killin me over here..........:rofl:

#7 ·
Feel free to have it checked out by your dealer, but don't be surprised if they laugh at you. Bottomline, if you had warped rotors, it would do it all the time - the vibration. The "pulsing" sensation you are feeling, and the pedal "pushing back" is the ABS activating. This is made even more credible by the fact that you say it only happens on slippery surfaces, never on dry pavement. And yes, to the uninitiated, the "pulsing" will feel like a vibration. Your truck seems to have no braking issues. It may just be the loose nut behind the wheel. :lol:

#8 ·
ABS is intended to keep your brakes form locking when you slide. You WILL feel a vibration in the pedal, hear moans and groans, and the truck will vibrate. This is normal and good. If the truck allowed you to lock the brakes you would loose the ability to steer and would actually take farther to stop. As suggested above, do a search on the internet to learn how ABS works and why it is good.

#10 ·
Sometimes heavy thick snow making rubbing sounds too. As everyone has already applied, this is normal for ABS.

#13 ·
In his defense, I will add that the ABS "noises" and pedal feel which are made by the Titan is considerably more pronounced than other vehicles that I have driven in the snow, which include an S-10, a Buick Regal, a Grand Cherokee, and an F-150.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon though and saying that the sounds/feels you are noticing is simply the ABS system trying to do it's job.

Find an empty parking lot somewhere and try things out!!!!!

#14 ·
Stomp on your brakes on dry pavement hard enough to skid and you will notice the same noise and vibrations. If you don't want to do it there, try it in the dirt. You ABS is working correctly it just curses at you, telling you that you are ***ing sliding, its doing it's best to help you control your truck while you slow down.

#15 ·
The number one reason you see more 4wd vehicles in ditches and accidents in the snow?

Their owners think 4wd means they can stop faster and/or take turns faster. ;)

To the OP, you're driving on very slick surfaces. Did you really think your truck would stop as quickly and easily as on dry pavement? Have you never driven in snow or ice before? Do like other folks have said, find an empty parking lot and practice, find out how your truck performs in various situations and maneuvers so you don't end up in an avoidable accident.

Down here in southern Ca people don't know how to drive in the rain and often times people from my office will end up working from home when it rains just to avoid all the traffic and accidents. ;)

#17 ·
That's not really the point. It's just a matter of traction. The lugs don't really matter when the coefficient of friction nears "0". You have a HEAVY truck. The tires are all that contacts the Earth. When friction nears "0" your grip also nears "0". Basic science. The forces that the brakes and ABS system are fighting against are amplified by the motion of the vehicle and the amount of mass they have to contend with. Yeah. You're going to feel this thing beating on itself to get you stopped. But it will do so in a controlled manner.

#18 ·
Honestly, the only tires that will give a very noticable increase in traction are studded snow tires. Folks have also had good luck with Bridgestone Blizzak tires, but don't expect to defy the laws of physics.

Know the limits of your vehicle and drive safe, never assume something that helps you start easier will also help you stop faster.

If you're expecting to stop from 40mph to 0 in snow/ice in under 100ft, just try going from 0 to 40 in the same distance and see how much luck you have.

Drive smart and be safe. :cheers:

#19 ·
tintintin said:
Tryed my 4x4 for the first time,noticed a rubbing sound when braking in the snow. Took it out of 4x4, and it's worse in 2WD. I came to a red light and tryed to stop, it was making a shuddering sound and the brake pedal was pushing back!. I have not noticed this on dry payment, only on slick roads. It seems are Titan's have chronic brake issue's,don't know what too do!
haha funny, I take it you never driven in the snow or ever driven a vehicle with ABS. What you describe here is a normal braking/sounds in snow with ABS. Most people out there driving cars with ABS really do not know how to use their ABS in an emergency.

#20 ·
as others have suggested, find a big parking lot with lots of snow and ice. drive your truck. accellerate then brake hard, that is the ABS kicking in for your saftey. also, do some donuts, they're fun. take your truck off the street and learn how to operate it safely. i suggest this for any person who has not figured out a vehicles or their personal limits.

4wd gives you the ability to GO in snow. it has NO effect on stopping, you are like every other vehicle on earth with gravity, you will slide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.